2016-17 Fifty HP ELPT-Ignition Switch

Fifty HP ELPT, SN 1C311111-The engine has less than 15 hours on it and the ignition switch has already broken. There has always been a noticeable rough spot in the key movement when cranking the engine, and today it locked up. I was a long ways from the ramp, and by myself. A bad day.

Anyway, it has to be replaced and I would rather do it myself rather than have to leave my boat at the shop for two or three weeks. I have a couple of questions on the difficulty of this repair before I try it myself: 1) Is there a better quality switch available? That switch is a piece of junk, honestly. 2) It looks like there are 6 wires in the cable going to the switch. Are all six necessary? Also, do these wires have to be soldered to the switch, or are they just spliced into the existing wiring to the switch? Thanks

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You'll have to talk with your Tracker Dealer. You almost certainly do NOT have a Mercury Ignition Switch.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Thanks, I could not understand that switch failing so soon. I have had Mercury ignition switches last over 18 years (and still working when I sold the boat)!

4. Member
    Don, how did you know it was a Tracker boat?

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Engine information/serial number.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor