xpress h56 holeshot

I have a 97 h56. 25p Yamaha pro v 4inch jackplate
    the holeshot regardless of trim position is so quick trimming up is not fast enough, so it gets out of hole sets down then trimming up obviously lifts but id like to know of a way to set up boat so it doesn't require as much trim once out hole.

motor is 4inch prop to pad.
    no water pressure gauge at the moment coming soon.
    GPS 62 2 people and tourney gear

lower pitch prop makes it just as bad
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated
    Last edited by im85; 08-07-2017 at 10:09 PM.
    97 xpress H56 Yamaha pro-v 150

2. Member
    If I read this correctly, you're wanting to set your boat up so it doesn't require as much trim to acheive an ideal trim angle once up and running?

With that said, hyperlift hulls like positive trim at WOT, though you can over trim them with certain props and setups at WOT.

If you are simply looking to not have to move the motor as much from holeshot to midrange ....... might I suggest experimenting with not tucking your motor all the way in (negative trim) for holeshot. I know with mine, I can trim mine to about the 1/4 mark on my trim gauge and still get up on plane with practically the same holeshot time. The ONLY thing I notice different when getting on plane with the trim set at 1/4 is the nose of the boat points up higher in the air when coming on plane (like both of my Rangers used to do when tucked all the way down) vs if I trimmed the motor all the way down and got on plane I never lose sight of straight ahead (like my Skeeter used to do).

I hope I understood you right ...... and I hope that helps.

As far as your speed for your rig, it sounds pretty good to me.
    '09 Ranger Z520 Silverado Edition / '09 Evinrude ETEC 250 HO
    '15 Xpress HD16DBX / Merc 59ci

3. Member
    Thank you for responding! Yeah I'm currently playing with the trim. Full tuck it launches out hole like a top fuel dragster with almost no bow rise. Qtr from full tuck is about the most I can get otherwise it blows the prop out momentarily. I think I can get more mph once I get psi gauge. Not going to push it right now. But more trim left wot and about 500 rpm left. Running 5k

4. Member
    Would a Jack plate help in any way ?I've been told these boats like bigger plates. Don't know if this changes anything but I also have a 8ft powerpole on it.

5. Member
    I'm still not sure I follow as to what exactly your primary goal is you're trying to accomplish. Are you looking for more top end? Or are you just trying to not have to move the trim very much while operating the boat through the coarse of the day?

6. Member
    I'm just trying to not have to trim the boat as much once out the hole. Once on plan it takes a lot of trim to get on pad. I was only referencing the top speed in case that was needed for any input

7. Member
    I think most of these hyperlift hulls are that way ...... at least all 3 of mine have been. Basically all 3 needed full tuck to 1/4 trim for holeshot, and then everything between 1/4 and 1/2 trim was just how fast you can trim through it since none of it really mattered. Then once above 1/2 trim and moving into 3/4 trim was a matter of how fast you were going. Then the 3/4 trim to full trim was a matter of hull, prop, setback, prop shaft height, and weight (load).

Based on my findings ....... there really isn't a 'spot' to set it and forget it when it comes to trim on these hulls (hyperlifts). If you went straight from 0 to WOT (like in drag boats) then yea, you might could do what you're trying to do, but on a fishing boat where you run the whole throttle range depending on conditions and distances then it's not applicable. Unlike a flat bottom or mod-v hull aluminum boat where minimal trim works great. On a flat bottom and a mod-v hull a little tuck to increase holeshot and trim up to level is roughly ideal.

If you happen to find something out that accomplishes what you're looking to do and still keeps a great top end, please let us know.

Good Luck!

I know the 25p Trophy prop I'm running does a great job of lifting and getting up and staying on pad with little trim input.

4 blade prop did wonders for me.
    2013 X24 Catfish, Yamaha 250 SHO

10. Member
    Great thanks everyone. I'm about to add a 2nd power pole so I'll wait until installed to start playing with it. I think 99% people would be more than happy with the way it runs. I'm probably being to critical