2003 Vmax 150 problem

Hello,
    My boat V150TLRB 2003 has lost power. It runs up to about 4k alright, but then the RPM starts to fluctuate a few hundred RPM and will not reach max speed. 45 now verse 55. RPM will only climb to 5100 with max out trim. Runs good everything under 4k

This began after I replaced the water pump. Is there anything in changing a water pump that would have caused this?

I changed the spark plugs with no change to how it runs out. Planes great and accelerates great below 4k.

Any advice would help.

THanks,
    Steve

2. Member

3. Member

4. Member
    Thanks, but not an OX66 I believe. Has carbs and single fuel filter inline.

Replaced both fuel pumps and the fuel filter. Pump bulb and pressure is held. Motor will not run. Starts and then shuts down. Throttle open only makes it rev up more before shut down.

are there any step other than removed pumps change gasket and install pumps that needed accomplished?
    Odd of factory pumps being bad out of the box?
    Last edited by StevenMCC; 08-12-2017 at 05:01 PM.

5. Member
    Replaced both fuel pumps with 6E5-24410-03-00, now wont idle. Boat starts and then shuts down. Must press key in and close butterflies to fire up, it will only run for seconds. If I start with throttle open it revs up and then shuts down...Could the pumps be bad? I have fuel to the filter bowls. Are there any steps other than remove and replace with new gaskets that I am missing?

6. Member
    Replaced both fuel pumps and the fuel filter. Pumped bulb and pressure is held. Motor will not run. Starts and then shuts down. Throttle open only makes it rev up more before shut down.

Are there any step other than removed pumps change gasket and install pumps that needed accomplished?
    Odds of factory pumps being bad out of the box? Will it idle on only one pump?

Usually when things go south on something I worked on it was the new items....

pump part number 6E5-24410-03-00

I just changed my pumps and it fired right up. Usually if a pump is bad it won't hold pressure when you pump the bulb - a crack will let fuel go right through.

Changing the pumps is as simple as the two bolts and the gasket. Any chance the gasket is not installed correctly? It can be tricky to get the bolt to go through the gasket without it sliding out of place. If the gasket isn't seated properly and there is a major air leak, that would cause issues.

Just something to check.
    Wishing I was Fishing

8. Member
    I pulled them back off and reinstalled to verify the seal. It has to be a bypassing new pump (I Hope) I will have two new ones tomorrow and find out.... No reason for it to run worse with a set of new pumps.
    Holds pressure so has to be internal bypass or I have lost engine vacuum?

I pulled the old pumps apart and internally they were all stretched out. I would have put them back on but, I could not resist pulling them apart to see what they looked like.

9. Member
    http://vid542.photobucket.com/albums...pstvkqmkve.mp4

This is the result?

Video wont attach? http://vid542.photobucket.com/albums...pstvkqmkve.mp4
    Still just starts and then shuts off. With throttle is runs a few seconds before it shuts down, pumping bulb does no good.

I guess off to the mechanic....

Did you change out the new pumps? Did you touch anything but the pumps on that side of the motor? Are all the plug wires attached? I've pulled plug wires loose pulling the cowling off of mine.

I'll take a look at mine tomorrow and see if there's anything over there that could be disturbed if you changed the pumps.
    Wishing I was Fishing

11. Member
    Thanks I am now waiting on room at the mechanic to get it in. Just changed plugs again and no difference. Checked all plug wires and vacuum hoses.

Let me know what you find out. I'm going to test mine out this weekend. I'm convinced the anti siphon valve was my issue but swapped the pumps anyways.
    Wishing I was Fishing

13. Member
    So what was the issue with the motor?

14. Member
    Carbs were rebuilt, the gaskets broke down and plugged the jets. You are the one who bought this from me correct?

Quote Originally Posted by StevenMCC View Post
    Carbs were rebuilt, the gaskets broke down and plugged the jets. You are the one who bought this from me correct?
    Mine ended up being the anti-siphon valve on my tank.
    Wishing I was Fishing