2004 evinrude (BRP) 200 hp direct injection

HELP - I'm looking at possibly purchasing a used boat with a 2004, 200hp Evinrude (BRP) manufactured Direct injection engine. Can someone "in the know" tell me if this is a better engine than when OMC made it. I think it's probably still a Ficht, but after BRP re-tooled the new factory and corrected the tolerances on these engines.
    This engine has 440 hours and the seller say's it runs great.
    HELP!! I really like the boat and it"s what I'm looking for, however, it's not priced to allow for an engine replacment.
    Anyone have some advice for me ???

Thanks for any info Jeff . jeffcotten@sbcglobal.net

Do a little digging on the board, there are several discussions regarding these engines. From what I remember reading from those "in the know" these engines are more reliable then when OMC first introduced them in 1999. The knowledgeable guys will come along shortly. A model and serial# will help you get a more detailed answer.
    1999 Stratos 273 DC
    1999 Johnson 115
    2021 Ram Limited

3. Member
    I have one and have owned it since new. These motor are very strong and reliable. You do have to perform some annual maintenance on them to keep them running smooth. If you are handy with tools you can do all of the maintenance on these motors. Get a shop manual to help with the maintenance items. Find a good shop nearby to repair any issues that come up. 440 hours is not a lot of run time for a motor of that age.

4. Member
    Thanks guys. Ive heard that they are far superior from the ones before the new factory and upgraded manufacturing process. I hope I hear for some other people also , may be Even a Evenrude tech.
    Thanks again
    Jeff