250 SS Break in procedures

My boat is currently getting repowered with a 250 SS while I'm on travel for work. When I get back, I plan on taking it out and just curious what are the break in procedures for Suzuki outboards. I know that the break in procedures are in the manual, but I don't have access to any of them right now. Hopefully there are no issues with breaking in the motor like I've read on the Yamaha forums or have to limit yourself like with the Mercury's. Thanks in advance.
    2018 Bass Cat Lynx w/Suzuki 250SS.

2. Member
    I'd have to look at my manual. There are rpm break in procedures, I just don't remember exactly what they are.

3. Member
    Congrats on the motor, you'll love it.

4. Member
    You should get a manual with your ss. If you don't I'd make sure they gave you one. It has the detail of break in.

5. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    I have 470 trouble free hours on my 250ss. You'll need a big prop. I HAVE AN EXTRA 29 PITCH.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

6. Member
    Thanks for the heads up about the RPM break in. I guess I'll have my buddy read the break in procedures on the way to the river when I pick it up in 2 weeks to try it out. Not sure which prop I'll go with since I have 2-12' Talons along with a Gorilla Hull that will bleed some speed off on Bass Cats. I know there is a test review of the 250SS with the same year as my Puma and they used a 4blade-30P and had a top end of 76 MPH. More than likely, I'll probably put start with a Suzuki 29P and maybe get a Tempest 29P or experiment with the Bravo series prop to see if I can more speed out if it without hurting my hole shot too much.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Roddy View Post
    I HAVE AN EXTRA 29 PITCH.
    Is it a 3 or 4 blade and how much are you asking for the prop? PM me the price if you like.

8. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    It's a 3 blade Suzuki. I running my motor so high on this boat, I'm running a 5 blade hydromotive. I would take a reasonable offer.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

9. Member
    I run a 28 4 blade 14.5 zuke. This I got with my motor purchase. I have their newer model prop also in a 28. Screams out of the hole but top end is not there due to being on the rev. If I was getting a new model 4 blade today from zuke I'd go 29 for my 210 procraft. The older one seems to have. More diameter, but I think they are both 14.5.

10. Member
    Let us know how it runs out.

11. Member
    I'll update everyone on how well it runs and my final setup. I won't be able to test it out until the 19th anyway. Thanks for the advice and recommendations.

12. Member
    How's she running? What's the final setup

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by booter View Post
    I'll update everyone on how well it runs and my final setup. I won't be able to test it out until the 19th anyway. Thanks for the advice and recommendations.
    While running a 29P prop, the hole shot is poor when the livewells are loaded, Talons attached and have a partner with me. When running empty with the Talons, my best was 68 mph @5500 rpms, however, my Talons were starting to drag due to the increased bow lift and then I started to chine walk as a result. I do have a 27P Fury prop that I would like experiment with first before purchasing 28P though just to if it helps. Otherwise, I enjoy this motor.

14. Member
    The prop discussion is interesting to me. I received two Suzuki props with my boat/engine and thought that was the only props that were supposed to be used on the Suzukis (Suzuki props). I'm fine for now with what I have but interesting to hear of Suzuki owners using other props.....booter I hope your break-in procedure goes well. I'm sure you'll love the engine.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassCatKev View Post
    The prop discussion is interesting to me. I received two Suzuki props with my boat/engine and thought that was the only props that were supposed to be used on the Suzukis (Suzuki props). I'm fine for now with what I have but interesting to hear of Suzuki owners using other props.....booter I hope your break-in procedure goes well. I'm sure you'll love the engine.
    My dealer says it's okay to run Mercury props as long as you have the proper hub kit for it. I do experience more prop torque with the Fury prop, but it will go away once the speed picks up.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by booter View Post
    While running a 29P prop, the hole shot is poor when the livewells are loaded, Talons attached and have a partner with me. When running empty with the Talons, my best was 68 mph @5500 rpms, however, my Talons were starting to drag due to the increased bow lift and then I started to chine walk as a result. I do have a 27P Fury prop that I would like experiment with first before purchasing 28P though just to if it helps. Otherwise, I enjoy this motor.
    That's about as much drag as you can get. Somebody needs to come up with a power pole setup that doesn't drag in the water. That 5500 RPM sounds like you might be a tiny bit overpropped.