Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    I know that my boat can float the trailer -

#1 before using ramp, pull on side, out of way to get your stuff loaded/ arranged in Boat, fully prepped to launch. at waters edge then undo rear trailer straps leave bow strap hooked, keep motor raised till off trailer, then reach over front to unhook bow strap. get the proper for Boat dock fender/bumpers.. the round style mostly used for Boats, just don't work well for a low Bass Boat, get the L shaped that sits on sides of top cap. when loading average a few inches of fender above water line is usual correct depth for loading boat on trailer. Don't dawdle on ramp, bow hook then pull up , hook rear trailer straps then proceed to side prep area to unload/arrange Boat for trip home, there will be many more posts to your question, but this will keep you from getting the wrath of loitering on the Ramp Enjoy!!!!!

3. Member
    If you have never pulled a trailer, go to closed mall after hours and practice backing into specific parking spaces. As you turn down a parking row, notice where your trailer tracks. Follow the above posts.
    Praying for a Cure

4. Member
    Trim motor up some before loading or beaching boat.
    2016 Phoenix 819 Mercury 200 Pro XS
    Kenny

Remember that throttle is power and trim is speed.

After a big rain, watch out for floating debris. Practice loading unloading during the week sometime until you feel comfortable. In loading, wet the bunks, then pull out until the longer bunks are about 1-2 feet out of the water. Putting the trailer too deep at the ramp will cause all kinds of bad things to happen when trying to load. Don't forget to trim the engine up when you get it loaded!!
    BassCat '17 Sabre DC FTD Advantage Elite
    175 Yamaha SHO
    MK Fortrex 80

6. Member
    Forget to stow the trolling motor and try to get on plane.....don't do that.

I did this my second time out. Shaft snapped in two. I was on the throttle MAYBE 5 seconds when my son started yelling that the TM was down.

7. Member
    dont drink and drive... stuff happens to fast on the water, you need a clear head

8. Banned
    Used to sell boats and the number 1 issue is the lack of brakes. No matter how many times you tell a person they still think that stopping a boat is like a car and come in way to fast when approaching object.

Boats don't have BRAKES ..... repeat that over and over in your head!

Leaving the trolling motor on and plugged in and then bumping the pedal button after coming out of the water with your hand or elbow when moving something or retrieving something out of the boat (very dangerous) learned my lesson without getting hurt
    2017 Crestliner VT 18 DX
    Mercury 115 ProXS
    Motorguide X3 70lb 24V
    TP Express Mach 4 13 x 19
    "Follow Me," Jesus told them, "and I will make you fish for people!" Mark 1:17

10. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Don't ever hurry. Avoid any situation where you might have to hurry. If you ever get in a situation where you think you did something fast, stop and figure out what you forgot. If you are having problems launching or loading, tell the people waiting you are a new boater. If they are impatient, they are *******s and deserve to wait. Any decent person will be patient with a new boater if they don't do stupid crap like load their tackle on the ramp.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

11. Dogfish_Jones
    Let's see here, what I have done.
    1- Forgot to put the plug in.
    2- Fogot to pull my trolling motor up.
    3- Forgot to tilt my engine all the way up before pulling it out from the ramp.
    4- Lay my rod/reel down while lure was still in the water, yea...somewhere it still is 30' in that water.
    5- Hooked myself trying to get teble hook from mouth of bass.
    6- Going from 20' to 1' of water in a split second with motor all the way down.
    7- Some guy zooming by the ramp just as I am about to load up....boat goes sideways on the trailor.
    8- Forgot I still has food in my rod locker and open it the next time I went fishing.
    9- Left my pliers in the front seat holder unstrapped and getting hit in the head going down the lake.
    10- Fishing in a strong current and hitting a underground stump/tree...yea, went swimming on that one.

12. Member
    Saw a great one yesterday. Single fisherman carefully backs down the ramp, launches his boat and took off, leaving his truck running and blocking the ramp. After about 15 minutes I moved his truck, locked it, and resumed fishing from the dock area. Another 20 minutes or so the guy comes flying back in full panic mode. Handed him his keys, got a very sheepish "thank you", and he was off again. Made me feel better about some of the mistakes I've made!

13. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimhigh View Post
    Saw a great one yesterday. Single fisherman carefully backs down the ramp, launches his boat and took off, leaving his truck running and blocking the ramp. After about 15 minutes I moved his truck, locked it, and resumed fishing from the dock area. Another 20 minutes or so the guy comes flying back in full panic mode. Handed him his keys, got a very sheepish "thank you", and he was off again. Made me feel better about some of the mistakes I've made!
    Nothing quite like bailing out somebody else who makes a major dumb move. First, it just feels good to help somebody out, and second it makes you feel like less of a moron when you pull stupid stuff.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

14. Member
    I"m a new boat owner as well. Best thing I did was bring an experienced boater with me to show me the basics. Loading was my biggest concern. We did it several times until I was comfortable. I still try to stay on low traffic ramps - but am much more confident with that experience he was able to help with.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdmonist View Post
    I"m a new boat owner as well. Best thing I did was bring an experienced boater with me to show me the basics. Loading was my biggest concern. We did it several times until I was comfortable. I still try to stay on low traffic ramps - but am much more confident with that experience he was able to help with.
    I've owned bass boats now for about 5 years. I'm still learning as I go since I don't have any experienced friends. In that 5 year time, I'd say we've been out maybe 100 times, tops. I STILL stick to low-traffic ramps, and I still make mistakes. Just the other week I tried to launch without taking off the bow strap. Lol

16. Member
    Have extra keys to your home and vehicle in the boat just-in-case you drop/misplace your keys in he water or the truck doors get locked by accident ad the windows are up when you get out to load or unload the boat. Just an experienced mistake some have made.
    Rocket

i just let someone off at the launch i thought i had enough room to swing around with
    the motor.....well i hit some rocks and took a hunk out of the skeeg , replaced it with
    a skeeg guard .

18. Member
    I know others have said this but the most important thing you can do is to be prepared. When you arrive at the ramp area, part off to the side away from the ramp queue. Have a check list of things you do to be prepared and do those things there where there is no pressure or stress. Once you have the boat prepped which for me is everything ready except I leave the bow connected to the trailer get into the ramp queue. At this point you have done all you can to prepare so don't let anyone make you go faster than you are comfortable with. Mistakes happen when you feel pressured. If you do these basic things bad things will be greatly minimized.

Just as a side note, I saw a guy this past weekend stop his rig right as the boat exited the water and was detailing the outside of his boat right there on the ramp. Not only was he blocking a slot but his truck was in the way of others trying to swing around to get in the ramps beside him. It is such a clueless self centered move.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bqtoot View Post
    Forget to stow the trolling motor and try to get on plane.....don't do that.
    Unless you're needing a good shower!

20. Member
    Some of the best advice I got. You never stop learning. Don't ever think you know it all and let your guard down. Take someone who is a veteran boat owner. I took the step a few years ago from a fishing boat to a high performance fishing boat. I drove my boat for two months before fishing my tournament. Had someone with me coaching me on how to how to handle the choppy water. (I set back and them take off) that was the best thing for me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast