Banned

anyone running garmin and a bird or lowrance

How many are using another brand to run SI/DI? Is anyone using lowrance or bird for SI/DI? It seems a lot just to pay for SI/DI. I have seen some pics of the bird mega and they are great. Just wondering. I will not sell my Garmin because of panoptix.

2. Banned
    I had a Mega 9 couple months ago, it was awesome but BIG.

Now I have a Lowrance Elite 5ti with Totalscan. It works good now after a picky install.

I also have a Raymarine Dragonfly 4pro. Its 2d and DI look great.

But if my Striker 7 had a decent recording function like Lowrance and Humminbird I would use it exclusively.

3. Member
    Lowrance 3D works great

4. Member
    ^^Agree on the Dragonfly DI ... The DI is so clear, I seen a Basses Dingle Hopper on it the other day...lol.. Cant wait for my Garmin to get here to see how much better I can pick up DI..
    I Believe in Catch & Release...
    Only when I don't have Witnesses..

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Schins View Post
    I had a Mega 9 couple months ago, it was awesome but BIG.

Now I have a Lowrance Elite 5ti with Totalscan. It works good now after a picky install.

I also have a Raymarine Dragonfly 4pro. Its 2d and DI look great.

But if my Striker 7 had a decent recording function like Lowrance and Humminbird I would use it exclusively.
    If you had to use just one which would it be?

6. Banned
    The Mega 9.

But it was pricey for me, and I need to portage in Canada once a year so it wasnt practical for that.

lol that didn't make much sense after my first post. if 1300 large didn't mean much to me I would have kept the Mega and got an elite 5 for portaging. But for less money I can use the elite 5 in Canada and the Striker 7 at home.
    Im going to sell the Dragonfly because it's redundant at this point.
    Last edited by Schins; 08-05-2017 at 05:01 PM.

7. Member
    Haha!! I still have 2 Lowrance HDS on my boat for when I take someone fishing. They are located at the rear. I never see them.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    Haha!! I still have 2 Lowrance HDS on my boat for when I take someone fishing. They are located at the rear. I never see them.
    Wow what a slam, Winchester. Considering less then two months ago you told me on the phone Lowrance has the best 83 KHZ of any company on the market today. What changed?

9. Member
    Nothing changed. Lowrance does have the best 83 kHz on the market. It is exceptionally WIDE and absolutely reliable over a wide range of depths. But three fish 80 feet away in different directions will all show as a cluster. The PS30 (417kHz) shows where they are - how far and how deep. The Lowrance 83 kHz will let you know you are in an area that you need to fish, but something else will have to tell you where they are so you can catch them.

Sorry Gary. I know how you value your Lowrance and for good reason and I certainly respect your experience and opinions. Even so, on 2d we'll just have to agree to disagree. Overall, I believe that Garmin's 2d is better than Lowrance. Specifically, in terms of performance, interference rejection, variety of offerings, and the ability to manually fine tune every aspect of the return.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

I run my Raymarine A98 split on 2d and Di and the Garmin 70dv only for Panoptix
    Attached Images Attached Images

11. Member
    I run a 7610 & HDS9 at bow and the same at console.
    I use the Lowrances for side/down and to mark waypoints. And the Garmins for map, traditional sonar and panoptix.... I know, your gonna ask, why make waypoints on the Lowrances and use Garmins for maps..... well, I can transfer waypoints from the Lowrances to the Garmins in less than a minute.
    I like the Garmins for mapping cause they are much faster at zooming in and out and have better built in mapping data on the lates I fish.
    David Geske
    Boatless Family Man

12. Member
    $_1.JPG

Must be nice all having all that fancy equipment.. Here's my fishfinder... Lol... I'm only kidding y'all..
    I Believe in Catch & Release...
    Only when I don't have Witnesses..

Hey Leonard, it was very nice of you to let your guest view the best units.. JK

14. Member
    Well, I wouldn't say best but a lot of this stuff is how we split hairs. Lowrance does make good stuff. I understand why people buy it. I bought it. On 2d, in general, I simply do not find that any brand is superior to another brand in terms of purely showing fish. The biggest difference is in the cone widths and whether that cone width is the is most appropriate for what you are trying to do at the depth you are trying to do it. The times that one brand will put more fish in the boat over another brand are not that often.

15. Member
    The biggest difference is in the cone widths and whether that cone width is the is most appropriate for what you are trying to do at the depth you are trying to do it. The times that one brand will put more fish in the boat over another brand are not that often.
    My sentiments exactly ...

Rickie