Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by omcforever View Post
    Why update the original post? Just post your progress/info/frustration in order. Its hard on us old fellas to have to go back and re-read it.
    Sorry bud, that was me, I updated the original because it was the one I was posting on. If a MOD wants to they could be combined...
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

Not holding a candle to these guys but something strikes me...

Changing from a 24 Fury to a 24 Raker and having effectively the same rpms. Even though the same pitch, I'm of the impression that the Fury design pulls much harder and in either case a significantly different design. Same rpms seems very telling about something.

Just a thought for what its worth.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Not holding a candle to these guys but something strikes me...

Changing from a 24 Fury to a 24 Raker and having effectively the same rpms. Even though the same pitch, I'm of the impression that the Fury design pulls much harder and in either case a significantly different design. Same rpms seems very telling about something.

Just a thought for what its worth.
    My mechanic thinks could be a fuel issue. Guess I'll be taking it back to the shop next week.

4. Member
    if you have not already replaced carb bowls,now may be the time. have seen where bowls were warped and not sealing properly internally, causing the same issue you are having but runs fine low to mid rpms. ideal time to build carbs. just my thoughts.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwrong View Post
    I changed the prop. Had a 20p Raker on it when I bought it. The guy I bought it from was turning over 6000 and running 56 mph before he blew it. I installed a 24p Fury on it the day I picked it up from getting the new powerhead on it.
    Maybe there's a good reason that you upped the pitch, but if the boat was pitched correctly with a 20" Raker, installing a 24" anything is going to bring your WOT RPMs down about 1000RPM just like what happened. How does it run if you put that 20" Raker back on?
    2015 Yellowfin 21 with 2014 Yamaha SHO 250

I read that info as "turning over 6000" meant to express excessive rpms. Pushing a 20' rig with a 175, I could see less than 24 but 20 sounds short to me. I'd be thinking a 22 Raker/Iempest or 23 Renegade/Trophy. It would help to know how much "turning over 6000" is equal to.

Now that his break-in is finished, a mech with the correct test wheel would put guessing to bed as to whether its wrong prop choice or a motor issue. Test wheel doesn't lie.

Just relaying info and giving my opinion. He told me he can turn the 20p prop to the right rpm, but the boat is still slow. From going for a few rides in his boat, with different props, it feels to me like its down on power on top, it just feels like it stops pulling and sounds flat. Also, it should be able to turn a 24p Raker, even if only to 53-5400 and run over 60... not 4700 in the 50's.

I think its either a timing/ignition issue or carb issue that is effecting high rpm power, but it was tough to diag at the ramp. I couldnt even have him back it in so I could run it while diagnosing on the trailer because the wind was blowing close to a 1 ft chop onto the back deck haha. I hope his tech finds something at the shop!

8. Member
    Took it to the mechanic today and found out that one of my carbs, the problem cylinder, was a 150 Carb. Mechanic said it was his fault by assuming the previous owner (I bought the engine blowed up) used the correct carbs. Rpms jumped to 5100 and 60mph. Going to try to raise the motor an inch or so and see if I can get the Rpms up where they need to be, if not will be going to a 23 prop.

9. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Good deal, your RPM range is 4500-5500.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    Good deal, your RPM range is 4500-5500.
    So what is acceptable under tournament load. WOT Rpms? I don't care about being a speed demon, I just want whatever set up will make the engine last as long as possible.

11. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    The horse power is rated at 5000 RPM. Prop it for between 5000 and 5500. You should be able to spin that 24 no problem.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    The horse power is rated at 5000 RPM. Prop it for between 5000 and 5500. You should be able to spin that 24 no problem.
    Okay Thanks! I reset P2P at 3.25" today, it was closer to 3.75" than 3.5" Will see how it will do next week sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by Jwrong View Post
    Took it to the mechanic today and found out that one of my carbs, the problem cylinder, was a 150 Carb. Mechanic said it was his fault by assuming the previous owner (I bought the engine blowed up) used the correct carbs. Rpms jumped to 5100 and 60mph. Going to try to raise the motor an inch or so and see if I can get the Rpms up where they need to be, if not will be going to a 23 prop.
    I knew it felt like a either an ignition or carb problem in the higher RPMs that was causing it to go flat up there, while it still jumped out the hole on all 6 down low. I looked right at that carb too when I checked the main jet and never even thought to check that it was the same as the others. Sorry about that. Now we just need to get that thing setup.

Anybody in the Kerr area have a 23-25p Renegade/trophy/tempest that's wants to come play with props and boat setups? You are welcome to try any of mine if you think you want to try to turn them, they are all 25-27p Trophy/Fury/Scorpions though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12