Merf XR4 Won't run now

Morning fella's, if this post needs to be moved to the merc section I understand. Just wanted it to get as much visibility as possible.*

Long story short, I was given a 87 Winner Tournament Bass Boat that has a Merc xr4 150 on it. Got it home, put fresh batteries in it. Drained all the old gas out of the tanks as I could. Put 4 gallons of gas in each tank with a half of can of sea foam in each tank with the fresh gas. After several trys it finally started. Upon starting it was obvious it would need a water pump. Done all this last weekend, while waiting for a guy to help me change the water pump I went ahead and changed the fuel lines from the tank port to the block. New Bulb and new inline fuel filter.*

Well yesterday afternoon we got the water pump installed and fired it up. It wouldn't idle worth a dang. Tried putting it in gear and that helped it idle. So we let it idle in gear for probably 20 minutes then it died. Now when it starts it dies almost immediately. It acted as it was running out of gas. So I checked the bulb and it was squishy. I checked all the connections. By passed the fuel line connector that plugs the fuel line with the bulb into the engine and now the fuel line with the bulb runs all the way to the fuel pump.*

It does have a constant alarm. Has done that every since i fired it up the first time. Turn the key, alarm starts and doesn't stop. Yesterday while idling it went to a beep. Oil tanks are full. Opened the one on top of the engine and it started pushing back out all over the tank. So i assume its feeding from tank in the boat.

Tried it this morning before leaving for work. Would crank, run ruff for 3 seconds and die.*

Wifey is upset, we had hoped to lake test on Sunday. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Serial # 0D038076

2. Member
    Also, any information on this engine would be greatly appreciated!

3. Member
    Carbed motor. Cleaned everything? IE carb floats, needle/seats, general degumming, new plugs, for starters? Also check fuel pump. Bad things happen to anything with gaskets or diaphragms when left sitting.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldTimer57 View Post
    Carbed motor. Cleaned everything? IE carb floats, needle/seats, general degumming, new plugs, for starters? Also check fuel pump. Bad things happen to anything with gaskets or diaphragms when left sitting.
    This+. Remove carbs and clean well, buy the gasket kits for the carbs to reinstall. May need new needles and seats but maybe not. As said, replace plugs and check fuel pump check

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Apologize. When I created the post I didn't know much about my engine. Still learning about it actually. Didn't mean to break the rules.

7. Member
    Did you get it fixed?