Thread: Tr20 setup

Tr20 setup

1998 tr20 with a 225 mercury. Right now boat is holding 18psi water pressure with a 26p tempest plus. Holeshot is a bear if the motor isnt trimmed just perfect. Boat is chine walking extremely bad at 68 mph and is completely un driveable at anything past 70. Any ideas on what the prop to pad height should be good for this setup its a 225 efi on a 6in plate. And yes I know the boat is only rated for a 200
    Last edited by norrisboy22; 08-04-2017 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Punctuation

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by norrisboy22 View Post
    1998 tr20 with a 225 mercury. Right now boat is holding 18psi water pressure with a 26p tempest plus. Holeshot is a bear if the motor isnt trimmed just perfect. Boat is chine walking extremely bad at 68 mph and is completely un driveable at anything past 70. Any ideas on what the prop to pad height should be good for this setup its a 225 efi on a 6in plate. And yes I know the boat is only rated for a 200
    For the holeshot the motor MUST be trimmed all the way down and tucked completely in........Nothing "just perfect" about it.

PTP should be around 2.5"

There is NO magic set-up to stop the chine walk.......You stop the chine walk......You have to learn how to drive it!

3. Member
    I would start at 3" and work up in 1/4" increments until speed drops off then come back down 1/4". Don't mean anything by it but have you driven a high performance hull before. Your setup may be right and you just need seat time..

4. Member
    Ive had 8 norriscrafts and this is my second triton this isnt normal chine the entire boat walks about 2 ft to each side and countersteering like you would for normal chine doesnt effect it when coming off pad it grabs extremly hard left

5. Member
    Are you getting the left grab when letting off the throttle or all the time? If it's grabbing when you let off the throttle that's nose hook and you need to trim down a little as you let off the throttle. I'd start with the motor at 2 1/2" under and raise it 1/4" at a time. You should end up at 2" under running the tempest.

6. Member
    Watch how you are loaded side to side and front to back. These boats don't like weight in the front. Also get your PTP at 2.5" to start and try a 25 Tempest +. You should be able to tame the walk if you start out easy. Good luck.
    2020 Caymas CX21 Pro
    Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Serial# 2B686100

7. Member
    My TR20 was a bear to drive with a 6" JP.. went to a 10", a different boat.. 2.5" ptp will prolly be where you need to be.. good luck
    ’13 21 HP, 250 ProXS, 10” Atlas, twin Power Poles, 25p Croxtonized Tempest, 2 1/2 PTP, 1/2 tank fuel, driver, all gear, empty wells, 74.7 in 102 deg heat.

Clay, how is your hole shot with the 10"? Being back another 4" I would think would help the hole shot out a lot. My 99 TR20 was a bear, still not great. I got a Bravo 4 blade and that helped a lot. I only have a 6" plate though.
    Quote Originally Posted by clayc View Post
    My TR20 was a bear to drive with a 6" JP.. went to a 10", a different boat.. 2.5" ptp will prolly be where you need to be.. good luck

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big dreams View Post
    Clay, how is your hole shot with the 10"? Being back another 4" I would think would help the hole shot out a lot. My 99 TR20 was a bear, still not great. I got a Bravo 4 blade and that helped a lot. I You only have a 6" plate though.
    Hole shot is good, I have a good balance between light load hole shot and going heavy with full tank fuel and full wells and two guys.. two plugs removed and one large in prop. When I ran the 6" JP, I really had to drive the boat above 60 mph, and it got worse on rough water. Went to 10",, noticed an immediate difference in the boat's attitude. Made it 100% better in handling at wot and easier to drive at all speeds. Many guys said to go with a 8", but I decided to go 10" due vast availability. Glad I went with the 10". Hope this helps ya a bit.

In reading your post you mention the hull being rated for a 200, but you have a 225.. I find it odd that I've seen the same yr /model as mine rated for less hp. Mine is rated to 225. I asked a Triton rep why this is? He said it was a marketing strategy that kept the boats competitive in price depending on region. I wish they'd re-rate the older TR's for what they can "really" handle. If mine would have rated to 250, that's what I would have repowered too. But, unfortunately, right now mine is being torn down due to something broken internally. I think it broke a piston. (Still under warranty)

anyway, if you have any other questions, shout back.
    Clay
    Last edited by clayc; 08-13-2017 at 02:07 PM.
    ’13 21 HP, 250 ProXS, 10” Atlas, twin Power Poles, 25p Croxtonized Tempest, 2 1/2 PTP, 1/2 tank fuel, driver, all gear, empty wells, 74.7 in 102 deg heat.

10. Member
    Well I got the chime out of it come to find out my hyd steering had a pin hole in the line and was leaking I'm running 74.6 solo at 6000 and with two people and half tank of fuel (65 gal tank) I'm seeing 68-69 I love mine its a great boat. Gonna try a 27p tempest to get the rpms down and a bigger jackplate soon

11. Member
    Your boat does NOT have a 65 gallon fuel tank.

Quote Originally Posted by norrisboy22 View Post
    Well I got the chime out of it come to find out my hyd steering had a pin hole in the line and was leaking I'm running 74.6 solo at 6000 and with two people and half tank of fuel (65 gal tank) I'm seeing 68-69 I love mine its a great boat. Gonna try a 27p tempest to get the rpms down and a bigger jackplate soon
    I put a 10 inch ZLock jackplate in the sale section yesterday if you need one.

13. Member
    That efi won't turn 6000 rpm's either so get the tach checked. clayc you have a newer wider boat than he has and that's why it's rated at 225.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Your boat does NOT have a 65 gallon fuel tank.
    I think he just mistyped 56 or I think that's what he meant.

15. Member
    That's what the guy told me it had ive never filled it completely but its a big tank. How much are you asking for the 10in plate