Thread: Monroe/Ouachita

Monroe/Ouachita

I'm the adviser for my school's bass team. There is an open tournament early September. I am just wondering if it is worth driving 5 hours and spending the money to go. It seems fairly similar to the tidal marshes we fish here in South MS. However if the fishing is going to be stingy due to flooding, heat, or just a poor fishery I will pass. We drove 12hrs last fall to fish Cumberland for three days and caught 5 fish. I can handle it but it is just not enjoyable for most 13-17 year olds. Thanks in advance.

Rivers

I believe October is the better month. I will ask my buddy to post on this thread as it is his home waters.

3. Member
    I havnt spent but a few days up there but from what I understand it's rarely a slug fest up there. But I've been wrong before

4. Member
    D'arbonne Bayou....

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by T.H.R. View Post
    D'arbonne Bayou....
    Wouldn't mess with D'arbonne Bayou if you don't know it , you will tear up your boat . Can usually catch a ton of small fish . Usually takes around 13 to14 pounds to win a single day tournament once in a while someone will slip up and catch 18 to 19 pounds in a river lake , but a lot of the better ones will be unaccessible with the river a pool stage.

6. Member
    One option is to take the scenic ride down the Ouachita to Riverton Lake. There are some good fish in it. If you want to try it out before running it, it's just a 25 minute ride by truck and launch in the lake. I have caught some good fish over the years out of there and should be good in October. Hope y'all get to come and have a good trip.

7. Member
    Sounds very similar to the water around us. I will bring it up and let them decide if we go. Thanks for all your help.

Rivers

8. Member
    In case we come, I looked at D'arbonne on the map. What am I missing?

P.S. Kept looking at D'arbonne. Assuming I didnt look back far enough. I'm assuming it can get hairy back past the power lines....

9. Member
    One more place you might want to put on your "to look at list" is Cypress Creek. It is the creek that flows out of Cheniere Lake, I believe. It is also the creek which is known for the duck boys being reared on. And I am supposing that Phil and Kay still live on it. Nevertheless, I know of some decent stringers that have been caught out of there, not sure how low water will affect it. But, if we have a weird late Summer and early Fall, river might not be at pool stage.

Is there a good map of the river and tributaries?
    Pat Leach

USAF MSgt Retired

1992 Procraft 180 Pro
    2016 Mercury 150 Four Stroke
    2018 Minn Kota Ulterra
    Helix 7 SI/GPS
    Helix 7 Sonar/GPS

11. Member
    Google earth is all I know of.

Thanks, that's what I thought. I was surprised that even the map chips are so devoid of detail.
    Pat Leach

USAF MSgt Retired

1992 Procraft 180 Pro
    2018 Minn Kota Ulterra
    Helix 7 SI/GPS
    Helix 7 Sonar/GPS

13. Member
    I would think you can still get Navigational Charts from Corps of Engineers. I have a set from many years ago so I assume they still sell'em.

Ed, I have a set of them.

Thanks
    Pat Leach

USAF MSgt Retired

1992 Procraft 180 Pro
    2018 Minn Kota Ulterra
    Helix 7 SI/GPS
    Helix 7 Sonar/GPS

15. Member
    Pat...thank you for your service! Should've already done that.

For all of you who want to know the latest on the river and if there are any map chip or otherwise, call the Honey Hole Tackle Shop in West Monroe @ 318-323-8707. If they can't tell you what you need to know, they should be able to tell you who you can contact.

The Honey hole as Preacher Ed suggested has the COE maps , thick book with a lot of pages ,,, Toledo Tackle also has these and are located in West Monroe, Dont put a lot of faith in these as the river has changed many times , these are mainly to mark the navigation channel , but they will give you some good ideas on the creeks and backwater areas ,

Quote Originally Posted by preacher ed View Post
    One more place you might want to put on your "to look at list" is Cypress Creek. It is the creek that flows out of Cheniere Lake, I believe. It is also the creek which is known for the duck boys being reared on. And I am supposing that Phil and Kay still live on it. Nevertheless, I know of some decent stringers that have been caught out of there, not sure how low water will affect it. But, if we have a weird late Summer and early Fall, river might not be at pool stage.
    Ed , you are right about the Duck boys living on Cypress Creek but if memory serves I'm almost positive that Cheniere Creek drains Cheniere lake

18. Member
    Yes^^^^^ this
    Keith Broussard Caney Lake, Louisiana
    2000 TR21 2000 Mercury 250 Pro XB OG980775 14" hydro plate

Preacher Ed, you're welcome it was my calling. Thanks for the info I'll give them a call. I have the COE navigation charts but was hoping there was something easier to deal with.

River Bandit, Thanks I'll check with TT as well

Thanks for all the input guys. I'll be out that way over Labor day so if you see a black and silver Procraft, stop by and say hi.
    Pat Leach

USAF MSgt Retired

1992 Procraft 180 Pro
    2018 Minn Kota Ulterra
    Helix 7 SI/GPS
    Helix 7 Sonar/GPS

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by River-Bandit View Post
    Ed , you are right about the Duck boys living on Cypress Creek but if memory serves I'm almost positive that Cheniere Creek drains Cheniere lake
    I should of known better than to make a statement like that...lol. I guess my wife is correct after all...I do make mistakes! Who would have thought. Thanks for the correction.