New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar

Question hand controlled motor foot switch?

What are those that have a hand controlled trolling motor using for a foot switch on the deck Bigfoot switch or the one by T&H or something else? Seems to be the weak link in my set-up over the years
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

T & H Marine foot switch is far superior tot he Bigfoot.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

3. Member
    Agree T&H is better. Remember also that the switch needs to be tied into the negative side of the power wire. It is what Motor Manufactures recommend. Reason is the switch is on the return side of the power and not on the supply. It will not have the current surge on the negative side.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradrodfish View Post
    Agree T&H is better. Remember also that the switch needs to be tied into the negative side of the power wire. It is what Motor Manufactures recommend. Reason is the switch is on the return side of the power and not on the supply. It will not have the current surge on the negative side.
    ............Hmmmm........... Current is equal in all parts of a series circuit BUT the motor could act as a "soft start" resistor. Something to think about. I think the T&H is inferior due to reading the reviews of it, plus the Bigfoot costs $10 more. You'd think that $10 is worth something.

Everyone I know who uses a switch wires it through the negative side. I like the T & H Marine switch due to the hard plastic cap over the rubber button. The Bigfoot does not have this cap and the rubber button will dry rot within a year.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    Everyone I know who uses a switch wires it through the negative side. .............
    I don't. The less constantly energized circuitry on a boat the better, less chance of electrolytic corrosion. That's why they make master battery cutoff switches.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    I don't. The less constantly energized circuitry on a boat the better, less chance of electrolytic corrosion. That's why they make master battery cutoff switches.
    I've always wired to the negative side on the bigfoot or T&H switch. What am I missing here? When you get off the button, the circuitry isn't energized since it's in a direct current loop -- either if it's on the positive side or the negative side. I've always taken the positive straight to the trolling motor and broke the negative side. BTW, some footcontrolled trolling motors are wired the same way, meaning the micro switch breaks the ground circuit.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]