Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Merc xr4 150 Won't Run

Morning fella's, if this post needs to be moved to the merc section I understand. Just wanted it to get as much visibility as possible.

Long story short, I was given a 87 Winner Tournament Bass Boat that has a Merc xr4 150 on it. Got it home, put fresh batteries in it. Drained all the old gas out of the tanks as I could. Put 4 gallons of gas in each tank with a half of can of sea foam in each tank with the fresh gas. After several trys it finally started. Upon starting it was obvious it would need a water pump. Done all this last weekend, while waiting for a guy to help me change the water pump I went ahead and changed the fuel lines from the tank port to the block. New Bulb and new inline fuel filter.

Well yesterday afternoon we got the water pump installed and fired it up. It wouldn't idle worth a dang. Tried putting it in gear and that helped it idle. So we let it idle in gear for probably 20 minutes then it died. Now when it starts it dies almost immediately. It acted as it was running out of gas. So I checked the bulb and it was squishy. I checked all the connections. By passed the fuel line connector that plugs the fuel line with the bulb into the engine and now the fuel line with the bulb runs all the way to the fuel pump.

It does have a constant alarm. Has done that every since i fired it up the first time. Turn the key, alarm starts and doesn't stop. Yesterday while idling it went to a beep. Oil tanks are full. Opened the one on top of the engine and it started pushing back out all over the tank. So i assume its feeding from tank in the boat.

Tried it this morning before leaving for work. Would crank, run ruff for 3 seconds and die.

Wifey is upset, we had hoped to lake test on Sunday. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Member
    Fouled plugs from Sea Foam? Is the primer bulb pointing the right direction? Fuel pump working correctly? There is a sticky on the Merc Forum that provides some clues to the alarm codes so you can tell where to start for that.

3. Member
    Thanks Mac. I'll check the sticky. As far as I know the pump is working and yes sir, arrow is pointing towards the engine.

Make sure the anti siphon valve on the tank isn't fouled. A stuck or fouled anti siphon would cause a squishy primer bulb and starve it for fuel. If it sat and had old gas in it, this is highly likely. Good news, they are cheap, easy to change (if your tank(s) is accessible), and you can still go to the lake on Sunday.

Rebuild that fuel pump too. Start with another tank of gas without the extras just good gas and oil at 50:1 and new plugs. Always premix until you figure out if that alarm is the motion sensor on the oil pump. No way id trust that oil pump on a motor that old. Check compression too then take the serial number to the mercury forum so the pros may keep you from breaking it good trying to get it to run

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

Dirty carbs,clean and rebuild them,

7. Member
    Lake tested today did very well for sitting for four years. Bogs a little on take off. But if you baby it, it does well. Going to continue to run it with sea foam. Save and have carbs rebuilt during the winter. Still getting a constant tone from the time it starts. Replaced water pump. Pees great. I mean it tones as soon as I turn the key. On the water hose it runs great and I know after setting as long as it has the carbs need some love. Just a tight bugeted family man so it's hard lol. It never would break 5000rpms. Topped out at about 44 with 2 adults, a teen, and a small kid plus a fully loaded cooler. Overall I'm happy. We have something to build on.

8. Member
    Bilge pump works, live well, and aerator so that's good too.

Who on the board is a sponsor for things such as carb rebuild kits, and plug wires. Would like to buy from the businesses that supports the board.

http://europeanmarine.org/partsaccessories.html They are sponsor on here and Don is very giving with his time and expertise on the Merc boards.http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=796719
    Last edited by 11pounder; 08-06-2017 at 04:59 PM.

warning alarm could be the sensor on the oil tank. It's magnetic and if it gets weak or dirty from setting it will not close and turn off the alarm. Check to see if the oil tank on the engine is full when running. Theres a way to test with a Ohm meter, check on the Merc forum. As for running rough, I'd start with plugs, rebuild carbs, wires, etc. go as you can afford, but find out what the alarm is FIRST !!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

11. Member
    The oil tank on top is full. Opened it while it was running and it overflowed.

Remember the carb is delivering the lifeblood of that engine- the oil. If you get one side of one carb not delivering fuel properly that cylinder is running dry. Same with a clogged fuel injector. Those other 5 or even 4 will keep the engine running but i assure you it wont run long with a dirty fuel system. Remember that as youre running it putting off rebuilding the carbs.

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alli ss View Post
    Remember the carb is delivering the lifeblood of that engine- the oil. If you get one side of one carb not delivering fuel properly that cylinder is running dry. Same with a clogged fuel injector. Those other 5 or even 4 will keep the engine running but i assure you it wont run long with a dirty fuel system. Remember that as youre running it putting off rebuilding the carbs.

Actually haven't thought about that......

14. Member
    The alarm itself could be faulty.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivers27 View Post
    The alarm itself could be faulty.
    That's what I'm thinking. Going to be working on it more this week. I'm a full time Bow Tech at one of the largest Archery Shops in Georgia. We're slammed..... It's that time of the year lol

16. Member
    Never assume a faulty alarm. The alarm should always be thought of as accurate until proven otherwise. A lot of motors get blown up because one assumes the alarm is faulty and everything is ok.

17. Member
    I have had to replace mine. It was under the console on my triton. Pretty painless if that is the case.

18. Member
    A steady BEEEEEP means your overheating. A Beep Beep Beep is the low oil warning signal.

Try this...while the alarm is sounding unplug the tan signal wire from the back of the alarm module. It should stop beeping. If not the module is shorted internally
    (SOLD) 88 WINNER Tournament 2000
    Mercury XR6 150 6"JP 25p Tempest 61mph loaded
    Minn Kota Maxxum 80 - Humminbird 899/858

I just wanna fish....

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thesignguy View Post
    A steady BEEEEEP means your overheating. A Beep Beep Beep is the low oil warning signal.

Try this...while the alarm is sounding unplug the tan signal wire from the back of the alarm module. It should stop beeping. If not the module is shorted internally
    Ok, will do if I can find the alarm module. Thanks for the help.

Looking at doing an oil Injection delete. Any ideas on how difficult that is?

20. Member
    You will need to remove the hand control cover to access the warning buzzer. Should be pretty clear, maybe 4 long screws and it should come off.

I have no idea about the oil injection delete, I have the factory oil system still installed. From what I've read I believe it's just a block off plate and you start adding oil to the gas. Just be prepared for more smoke at idle.
    (SOLD) 88 WINNER Tournament 2000
    Mercury XR6 150 6"JP 25p Tempest 61mph loaded
    Minn Kota Maxxum 80 - Humminbird 899/858

I just wanna fish....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast