The Reason for God by Timothy Keller

Here is another book recommendation about why Jesus’ story and the bible are true. This was my first time reading Timothy Keller but now I am looking forward to reading some of his other works. His book is somewhat a modern day version of the C.S. Lewis classic Mere Christianity, which is by far one of the best books written to explain why Christ is the way. In Keller’s own acknowledgements, he states that Mere Christianity was one of the biggest influences of his Christian thinking. Much like Lewis, Keller does not go into theological and doctrinal differences between the many Christian denominations. He instead focuses on the three orthodox beliefs that unite most if not all of Christians today, the infallibility of the Bible, the deity of Christ, and the necessity of spiritual regeneration (the new birth). The multitude of resources he uses in his arguments is impressive, using both pro Christian resources along with refuting what modern atheist such as Stephen Hawking have to say about beliefs in God. His logic and reasoning are well thought out, easily followed, and backed up by the biblical account. I think it is a good read for not only seekers of truth but also for those life time followers of the faith.
    One of the best lines actually came from one of his church members talking about the truth of Christ being God and giving His life for our sins
    If I was saved by good works then there would be a limit to what God could ask of me or put me through. I would be like a taxpayer with “rights” – I would have done my duty and now I would deserve a certain quality of life. But if I am a sinner saved by sheer grace-then there is nothing he cannot ask of me.”
    https://www.amazon.com/Reason-God-Belief-Age-Skepticism/dp/1594483493/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1501601741&sr=8-1&keywords=the+reason+for+god
    "If People Concentrated on the Really Important Things in Life, There'd be a Shortage of Fishing Poles." - Doug Larson
    "Peace is not the absence of turmoil but the presence of God" Jo-Ann Thomack

2. Member
    To the Christian critics and many within Christianity: You can be 100% logical and still be wrong if you start with the wrong premise.

While I have not read Lewis or Keller (both sinners), God promises to meet us in one place: Scripture. That's where we should look for Him. True enough, being God, He can meet us in a telephone booth (what's that?*) if He chooses. But He bound Himself to Scripture. "Faith comes from hearing the...word." Rom 10:17

*If you're confused about what a telephone booth is--watch the opening or closing credits of a "Get Smart" tv episode

I'm sure Lewis and Keller are interesting, noble and worthwhile reading---but they can't create faith.

That's why Scripture is unlike any other book. It cannot be compared to man's great literary works. Scripture is active not passive. Scripture is the soul source for all doctrines. Scripture is inspired by God and therefore inerrant and infallible. "All Scripture is God-breathed..." 2 Tim 3:16

Note of warning: If an individual, congregation, or denomination messes around with Scripture (adds, subtracts, edits) the last domino to fall is always the Gospel--the whole point of Christ and Scripture.
    Last edited by msethsmile; 08-07-2017 at 09:50 AM.

3. Member
    Sure, there are many things in Scripture I don't like to hear. Example: I am (unregenerated man) spiritually blind, dead and an enemy of God (Eph 2) (Gen 6:5). Long before I spit in God's face (sin/ stative verb*), in eternity, God valued my soul (simply because of who He is--God is love, merciful, faithful) and sent a remedy--Christ.

*Stative verb: like being hungry, you don't 'do' hungry--you simply are hungry. Stealing a piece of candy is bad enough but at my core is much worse. I didn't spiritually trip and skin my knee. No, I did a header off the Grand Canyon. Spiritual corpse. That's what God repairs, reconciles, gives life (Ezekiel). Because of Christ's perfect life and work on the cross, He sees me (former enemy) as His reward (Is 40:10). This is validated by God with Christ's resurrection--stamp of approval. Done deal.

As for Scripture (the things I like to hear and the things I don't)--God said it and that's that.

"Ye who think of sin but lightly
    Nor suppose the evil great
    Here may view its nature rightly
    Here its guilt may estimate
    Mark the Sacrifice appointed,
    See who bears the awful load;
    Tis the WORD, the LORD'S ANOINTED,
    Son of man and Son of God."
    ---Stricken, Smitten, and Afflicted (Kelly)(based on Is 53)

We can afford to talk about this because Christ has cleaned up the mess. "Comfort, comfort ye my people..."

Seth, not sure if I understand your point but do agree that scripture is where God promises to be. As my pastor said in one of his sermons (emphasis mine)

"The good news we need to hear is that: “The Kingdom of God is come near you.” The Word that brings the Kingdom is the word that speaks of Jesus Christ and Him crucified. The Gospel Word is not some vague sentiment but the fact of Jesus suffering and death to bring us life and salvation. This Word accomplishes what it says. While some battle for the truthfulness of Scripture, the question remains what good is a word that is true but has no power to do what it says. Scripture is efficacious. That is a medical term. Medicine that relieves pain as it promises is efficacious. Well God’s Word is efficacious – it delivers what it promise and does what it says. So when we proclaim this Word, healing takes place, sins are forgiven, lives are reborn, and death is overcome."

He also promised to be in the bread and wine of communion and the waters of baptism. We can be confident that God in these because His word says He is there.

Matthew 28:19-20 Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in[a] the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age

Acts 2:38 And Peter said to them, “Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Matthew 26:26-28 Now as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and after blessing it broke it and gave it to the disciples, and said, “Take, eat; this is my body.” 27 And he took a cup, and when he had given thanks he gave it to them, saying, “Drink of it, all of you, 28 for this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.
    "If People Concentrated on the Really Important Things in Life, There'd be a Shortage of Fishing Poles." - Doug Larson
    "Peace is not the absence of turmoil but the presence of God" Jo-Ann Thomack

5. Member
    SD--Most within Protestantism do not agree with the above statements. I'm lumping Lutheranism in with the Protestants--technically not true. Luther was never part of the Protestant movement. Anyway, Sola Scriptura. Does that mean they are damned? No. They simply miss out on some of God's overflowing mercy. So, it doesn't matter? We should all strive for the truth. It matters. "Sanctify, and keep them in the truth. Your word is truth." John 17:17 (Christ's High Priestly Prayer).

In our Church Service (who's service?--God's service to us--which He delights in) early on is the confession/absolution. Is there enough forgiveness in the Absolution (Word) for eternal life? Yes. Later on is the sermon, which contains Law and Gospel (Word). Is there enough forgiveness there for eternal life? Yes. Still latter on is the Lord's Supper (Word). Is there enough forgiveness there for eternal life? Yes. Seems redundant? 1. We are weak and need reassurances. 2. God cannot contain His love. He delights in coming to us/ forgiving us in so many ways.

To those reading: Acts 2:38 listed above; "be baptized" is passive--why is that? Matt 28:19-20; "all" means all. Matt 26:26-28; "is" means is.