721 Hole Shot Question

Guys -

When running solo, live wells empty, and otherwise normal, the bird really jumps out of the hole. However, when I have another passenger, live wells are full, and other gear, it takes FOREVER to get out on pad. Sometimes I have to let off and try again...or feather it to get it to plane out. Has anyone else experienced this?

I have a manual jackplate that I have not messed with..YET I have the factory 25T prop. 3 blade.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Matt

What motor and what brand prop? What are your rpms when it won't get on plane?
    Jason
    2015 Phoenix 919 225 ProXs

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vausoner View Post
    What motor and what brand prop? What are your rpms when it won't get on plane?
    Also what year boat? It seems that in most cases they come from the factory set way too deep on the jackplate, so with that said measure your prop to pad and see where you are.
    2021 Phoenix 819 - Mercury 200 Pro XS - Ser No 2B779353
    Ultrex/Humminbird Helix 12 SI Mega/Helix 10 Mega DI/Mega 360
    Garmin 1022 with LVS34

4. Member
    Sho 250. 2017

Regardless of boat, motor, prop and engine height... the more load you have, you need to prop down. So if you're running a 25, try a 24 on those heavy tournament days. Yes you will lose top end speed but you will gain holeshot. You can plug the vent holes in your prop if you have them, but that's basically the same outcome. Less speed more take off.
    2017 - Phoenix 919 / 225hp Pro Xs

6. Member
    I have had 920 and 921 before with same motor...and never had an issue with hole shot with a heavy load. Only on the 721...so was curious if anyone else has. Or might know the reason. I have never had to change out props on any other boat, and I'm not going to on this one either.

7. Member
    I've got a 2013 721 with 250 Pro XS.....not the same as yours but....you should have plenty of torque/bottom end with that SHO. If I top off the tank, both livewells, partner, gear......almost couldn't get out of the hole with the factory 26P Fury. Went to a Bravo 1 XS 26P, lost 4-5mph on top end but the trade off was excellent hole shot and handling. Tested several props & I'm still running that Bravo 1 XS. I'm running 4 huge batteries....lot of weight in the back of the boat....and 10" Bobs hydraulic plate. Take all the other stuff away.....1/2 tank or less fuel..empty wells...no partner...it rockets out of the hole.

From the console back.....I think the 721 & 9 series are the same hull....so if THIS SHO is giving you problems....might be the engine or it is simply the prop...too high pitch or engine set wrong as was mentioned. You didn't give any rpm numbers with your post. 1st thing any prop guru will ask you....what rpms are you truning on hole shot and WOT and what is your prop/pad measurement. That info is vital to see where you need to go.

8. Member
    Make sure your ptp is up around 2-3/4" or 2-1/2". Mine slows down some when all loaded down but it still isn't horrible. I'm running the same set up as you. Ideally a hydraulic plate is best because you can jack it all the way up and get the best holeshot

Good luck.
    Jason
    2015 Phoenix 919 225 ProXs

10. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    The higher the p2p the better the hole shot will be when loaded
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

11. Member
    Make sure your foot throttle is opening all the way.

12. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DREWTICK View Post
    The higher the p2p the better the hole shot will be when loaded
    +1 ^^^ You probably just need to raise it up. When your loaded down, the prop sits lower...Holeshot suffers.
    Until you can post current p2p, everything is just guessing. That prop is fine.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TritonJT View Post
    Make sure your foot throttle is opening all the way.
    ^This. I've got a 2014 721 with a SHO, 26 SHO prop, power poles, 4 batteries. I've got a good hole shot with the plate all the way up or down, loaded heavy. Light load with one person I can pull stumps out!
    2014 Phoenix 721XP, 250 SHO, Bobs Action Jack, Dual Blades, 112 Ultrex, 2019 Lariat FX4 F150 Supercrew 4x4

14. Member
    I will try raising the manual jackplate some to see if that helps. thanks

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TT GLOCKS View Post
    I've got a 2013 721 with 250 Pro XS.....not the same as yours but....you should have plenty of torque/bottom end with that SHO. If I top off the tank, both livewells, partner, gear......almost couldn't get out of the hole with the factory 26P Fury. Went to a Bravo 1 XS 26P, lost 4-5mph on top end but the trade off was excellent hole shot and handling. Tested several props & I'm still running that Bravo 1 XS. I'm running 4 huge batteries....lot of weight in the back of the boat....and 10" Bobs hydraulic plate. Take all the other stuff away.....1/2 tank or less fuel..empty wells...no partner...it rockets out of the hole.

From the console back.....I think the 721 & 9 series are the same hull....so if THIS SHO is giving you problems....might be the engine or it is simply the prop...too high pitch or engine set wrong as was mentioned. You didn't give any rpm numbers with your post. 1st thing any prop guru will ask you....what rpms are you truning on hole shot and WOT and what is your prop/pad measurement. That info is vital to see where you need to go.
    I have the same boat set up..what kind of top end performance are you getting with that set up?

16. Member
    I just got a 2015 920, 250xs, Hydraulic jack plate, 25 Fury and I'm having the same issue. I can raise the jackplate high enough to improve the hole shot but then it blows out. Same suggestions as previous posts? Anybody have any insight? Thanks, Warren