Chime walking issues with my 2017 19trx

Boat has a 225 merc with 24 fury and standard Manuel jackplate. The issue is when I try to run it wide open I can't get the motor trimmed up past half way on my gauge before it starts walking really bad, I've tried staying in it to see if it would come out but it just gets to dangerous and never seems to work. I'm around 54-5500 rpm's and running 71-72 mph, my trim isn't even over the half way mark. I know the trim gauge is only supposed to show 3 quarters of the way when fully trimmed but I can't even get close to that with out the boat getting out of hand. Any advice on what to check or change first will be appreciated.

2. Member
    What's your prop to pad measurement? While the boat is on the trailer raise the motor up until the tilt ram (single center ram) takes over then lower it back down until the twin trim rams touch the motor pads then check the reading on your trim gauge. That's all the trim it has usually less than half way on the gauge. Sounds like you may be too low prop to pad and that will make the boat walk, seat time will help too.
    Last edited by mdtritn21; 08-03-2017 at 09:21 PM.

Short answer, going to have to learn to drive a hi-performance pad hull boat. Getting the P2P right might help a little, but there is no magic "no chine walk" setup. Well, unless you set it up to run slow haha
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by J Risco View Post
    Short answer, going to have to learn to drive a hi-performance pad hull boat. Getting the P2P right might help a little, but there is no magic "no chine walk" setup. Well, unless you set it up to run slow haha
    This.

5. Member
    Thanks to everyone for the input

6. Member
    Will find out the prop to pad whenever I get back from work thanks for the help

Well, not always. Mine walked real bad until I raised the motor. Now it there is only the slightest hint of it at 61 mph which I can only hit in perfect cool weather conditions. Assuming the OP still has good water pressure I try raising the motor and see if that helps.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

8. Member
    Thanks bud that's what I plan on doing

Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    Well, not always. Mine walked real bad until I raised the motor. Now it there is only the slightest hint of it at 61 mph which I can only hit in perfect cool weather conditions. Assuming the OP still has good water pressure I try raising the motor and see if that helps.
    Big difference between a 19trx w/225 and an 18fter w/ 150... and most boats dont walk bad til they're past 61mph. You are right thou, like I said getting p2p right might help a bit
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

you have a fury prop
    Fury props don't like to run as high as the Tempests

Prop height is normally high on a Triton BUT it is dependent on prop type
    It is also dependent on set back so the size of your jack plate makes a difference as well
    in other words with a 6 inch plate the engine will be lower than with a 10 inch plate

Set up is only a part of driving a Triton
    All fast boats will chine walk to a point
    Proper set up helps but in the end you will need to learn to drive it

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

11. Member
    Big difference between a 19trx w/225 and an 18fter w/ 150... and most boats dont walk bad til they're past 61mph. You are right thou, like I said getting p2p right might help a bit

I ran a tr186 with a 150 xr that would walk at 54 mph so bad you couldn't get past it .added a jack plate raised the motor up and had the prop worked and it would run 60-61 and rode like a dream .

12. Member
    what part of Louisiana you in maybe I can help you set it up
    Whitney

I had an 01 TX186 with a 150 and it would TRY to walk about 60-61 but never even close to the 09 20X3 with a 250 would about 65 and up, this boat would scare me bad. The set up I ran when I first got it was really about what it is now but I made up my mind I'd learn to drive the thing. The way I figured it out was by reading as much as I could find on Chine Walking so that I understood what was happening and I'd listen to everyone that offered advice on what to do.

I would start out driving with the motor trimmed up only about 1/3 of my total trim range, then I'd accelerate to about 3/4 throttle, next I'd begin adding trim until the boat started to walk and I'd try to compensate to control the walk... if I felt it getting out of hand I'd trim down without lifting the throttle until the walk went away... take a breath and then add trim again and repeat.

It took a while and it wasn't just one trip out on the water but I found I was going faster and faster before I'd have to trim down, all of a sudden one day I realized that I could go WOT and didn't even notice the boat trying to walk at all. Now when I go out I don't think about it anymore, I just drive the boat any speed I want without worrying about it.
    Last edited by JJolley; 08-03-2017 at 06:55 PM.
    2009 Triton 20X3
    Mercury 250 ProXS

"Can't" means "don't want to"

14. Member
    If you don't get the prop to pad height close you can't drive it because it will walk, not as bad as the older model Tritons but it will walk. Check the trim first so you know your not trying to over trim. You can also adjust the trim sensor on the motor so you may have to check that. JJolley has given you some good advice about driving it until you learn but a better way is to find some one who knows how to drive it and go with them in your boat and watch what they do. You'll learn more in an hour watching some one who knows how to drive than you'll ever learn on here.

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gambler4 View Post
    I ran a tr186 with a 150 xr that would walk at 54 mph so bad you couldn't get past it .added a jack plate raised the motor up and had the prop worked and it would run 60-61 and rode like a dream .
    True that! My 18XS starts walking around 52-54 MPH as well. I do have a JP and a worked tempest plus, still walks, just runs a good bit faster.

16. Member
    Update-With more seat time and learning how my boat runs with a full load, Ive learned to handle the boat way better by just learning the boat and how to adjust the trim depending on the type of day and water im running on. It will still walk some once i get over 70mph but not anywhere as bad from when I first made this post asking for advice. I may still need to adjust the jack plate a little more to get it just right at the higher speeds but all in all I am very pleased with my 19TRX handling and fishability.

Quote Originally Posted by Riccochet View Post
    True that! My 18XS starts walking around 52-54 MPH as well. I do have a JP and a worked tempest plus, still walks, just runs a good bit faster.
    Id be glad to help you with your boat but your prolly 3 hours away....
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by crank68 View Post
    Id be glad to help you with your boat but your prolly 3 hours away....
    I'm good. I know how to correct for the walk. It's pretty rare I actually get to trim up enough to encounter it with how much traffic the lakes around here get.

Quote Originally Posted by cdanzy22 View Post
    Update-With more seat time and learning how my boat runs with a full load, Ive learned to handle the boat way better by just learning the boat and how to adjust the trim depending on the type of day and water im running on. It will still walk some once i get over 70mph but not anywhere as bad from when I first made this post asking for advice. I may still need to adjust the jack plate a little more to get it just right at the higher speeds but all in all I am very pleased with my 19TRX handling and fishability.

I have a 19 XS with a 225/ TM lower unit which i run a 25 temptest +. My boat doest walk at all over 70. Im sure mine is set up a little dif than yours though. If you can get your hands on other props that may help some too. My boat doesnt like the furry prop at all and it gives me no stern lift at. It seem the Tempest + carries weight much better and gives the boat great stern lift and in my application makes the boat handle much better.

Make sure your weight distributed as evenly as possible.

Triton 19 XS Elite, 225 Mercury Pro XS, Minn Kota Ultrex 112, Hydrowave H2, Twin 8' Power Pole Blades, Power Pole CHARGE, Lowrance HDS 12 and 16 at console, Lowrance HDS 9, Garmin LiveScope at bow, Mercmonitor, Rigid Industries Deck lights and other stuff to come that will make me go more broke

20. Member
    I concur with this ^^^^