P-line Flouroclear, Yea or Nay?

Hey all, my 1st post on the BBC is probably something that's been asked already but here it is anyways. I was given 4 brand new spools of P-line Flouroclear in 8# and 10# test. Before I spool anything up with it I thought I'd ask what others had to say about it. I've read some really mixed reviews on other sites so any thoughts or experiences are appreciated. I'm fishing mostly in Massachusetts so there's a mixed bag of water conditions ranging from clear ponds with smallies to stained water with heavy cover and Largemouth so it would be pretty technique specific use for the line. Appreciate your input.

Nay for this guy. It's entirely possible they've changed the formulation, but I tried it probably 7-8 years back. It had all the memory and management issues of 100% flurocarbon (maybe worse), isn't really any cheaper, and still isn't 100% fluoro. Never had any issues with breakage, though another thing that bothered me about it was thinking about a fluoro coating on a mono line...for a given pound test, mono stretches before fluoro will under increasing pressure. If that mono "core" stretches and the fluoro coating isn't ready to stretch yet, all I can envision is that fracturing of the fluoro you get when you break it off when snagged, but without breaking the line due to the mono core. That's probably overblown because, as I mentioned, I never had complaints about breakoffs. I just figured the tradeoff of going not 100% fluoro would help in other areas. I didn't see any advantages at all.

I must be in the minority because as far as lines go, it's been on the market for quite a long time. Someone must be buying it!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

I used it and it isn't bad...not my favorite fluro but for free I'd at least give it a try. My favorite everyday mono is P-Line CX Premium so I do like P-Line products in general.

Like Drew said, it does have a good memory so some KVD Line Conditioner might help.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

Yeah, for free you might as well try it. I should've added that in!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

5. Scraps
    I've had some 20lb on a flipping rod for a couple months. I went out a few weeks ago thinking it would show signs of bad memory and I was amazed it didn't. I'm pretty sure that was the rod I picked up with floroclear on it, it was that or the new Yeah-Zuri Top Knot FC.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

6. Member
    I've used it a lot and like it, it's good line. Also, I'm pretty sure that CX Premium and FluroClear are exactly the same line except for color. I went to McCoy Xtra clear co poly. It seems pretty much the same with maybe a bit less memory, about the same price.

7. Member
    Thank you all for the input. As I said I got it for free so may as well give it a shot. If it doesn't work for me at least it didn't cost me anything. Unless it costs me a fish in a tourney! Hmmmm

8. Scraps
    PS As far as I remember, the Floroclear is not a straight fluorocarbon, but a fluoro-coated line, more like a copoly. I got tricked when I was looking for a FC for fishing deep water.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

9. Member
    Thanks krindgen,

you are correct it is a co-poly line. I have to say that back in the day I always had pretty good results with co-poly line whether it was the ole' tried and true Bagleys Silver Thread or even BPS Excel line before they changed the formula and ruined it. (IMHO) I've been using Sniper FC and Tatsu lately but hey, it's free, so why not give it a shot.

I love P-Line 100% fluorocarbon and the CX Premium. I don't like the Fluoroclear. It cast ok, but seemed to have some memory and not real strong.

11. Member
    I like Flouroclear and use is as a mono-like line, just with better abrasion resistance. For 10# and under I usually go with straight flouro, but I really like the 15lb for cranking applications, and 20lb for flipping. It is a lot cheaper than regular flouro.
    2021 Caymas CX21/Mercury 250 Pro XS

12. Member
    If I'm not throwing 100% Fluorocarbon I am throwing P-Line Floroclear. It's my go-to line for anything with Treble Hooks. It's a lot more limp than 100% FC and has a tad more stretch but not much. I am not a fan of 100% FC for topwaters and smaller crankbaits so the P-Line works great for this.

I also use the 6 & 8 lb for leader material on Dropshot rigs. I like how much more limp it is than FC so it gives the bait a lot better action. With the right rod and braided line I lose nothing for sensitivity.

13. Member
    Excellent question, and thanks for posting as I have just started using P-line as well. I actually bought the clear fluorescent so that it could also be used at night with UV lights. Has anyone had any experience with this? I've been fishing all my life, but just now starting to get into night fishing as a reaction to the ridiculously hot weather we've had here in the southeast.

Love it. Have used it exclusively on all my reels for several years now. Only rod I don't have it on is my flipping rods.

15. Member
    Used it before its actually pretty good imo