Merc 15 HP - Pulling out of storage - Fuel Leak, then leak stopped...

2008 15hp Ser # 1B523764.

I pulled this little rascal out of storage (about 9 months) and fired her up. Prior to storage, we ran the unit dry of fuel (Non Ethanol), changed oil and filter and foot lube.

Upon pulling out of storage, another oil and filter change, after pumping the fuel bulb I spotted a little fuel seeping at gasket on the fuel pump. Engine fired and ran normally and leak quit. I also spotted a leak in the carburetor area, again at the gasket. Brought the motor up to operating temp and shut it down leaving fuel in the system.

Next day, I reconnected the fuel hose and pumped up the bulb. I no longer see the leak around the seal on the pump or the carburetor. game plan is to let it sit another 24-48 hrs with fuel in the system and then restart and leak check.

What I'm wondering is if the gaskets were "Dry" as there was no fuel in the system. After introducing fuel back to the system, the gaskets swelled and sealed.

Thoughts on this reasoning? All screws were tight on pump and carb.

2. Banned
    Your reasoning is correct.
    Keep an eye on them, and don't be surprised if you need to install new gaskets next spring.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Probably a very good idea to address these now. They WILL leak again... only question is when. Leaking fuel is a Fire and Explosion Hazard.

Running the engine out of fuel is not a good idea. This "theory" was pushed at one time, but that was about 3 decades ago.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Running the engine out of fuel is not a good idea. This "theory" was pushed at one time, but that was about 3 decades ago.
    LOL... You saying I'm an old fart? Your right!

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by XS-Skeet View Post
    LOL... You saying I'm an old fart? Your right!
    Me too!
    Running the carbs dry usually leaves a little fuel in the carb bowls to gum up, right about at the level where the bottom of the main jet draws it's fuel from.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Can't help but laugh at the "old fart" comment... guess I fall in there, too (I recall it in several classes in my early years).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova Kaw 650 View Post
    Running the carbs dry usually leaves a little fuel in the carb bowls to gum up, right about at the level where the bottom of the main jet draws it's fuel from.
    Precisely why I never run carbs dry anymore, fuel stabilizer is cheaper and less hassle than messing with gummed up carbs. Old? Only if you wanna be. My brain still thinks I'm 20 but my body tells me otherwise.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax