Thread: Remington Rust

Remington Rust

I have a SPS varmint in 223 that I use mainly for coyote hunting. Gun is less than a year old, never seen rain or snow, gets coated in rem oil before and after each hunt, and still ends up covered in surface rust the day after I take it out. Anybody have any problems with newer remingtons rusting or know a way to stop it? I contacted Remington and naturally they don't cover it under warranty.

2. Member

USA

Is it the entire rifle? Or just where your hands have touched it? Some people have oils in their body that promote rust on fire arms.

Also, try wiping down the rifle with a different oil. Good Luck.

3. Member
    Basically any metal piece. Bolt, barrel, trigger guard. I think the only thing that hasn't rusted is the trigger. Ill try a different oil. Thanks!

If its the same finish the put on the 870 Express then you just kinda have to live with it. I bought one for my son and it would rust if you looked at it harshly. Over time I seemed to have finally gotten enough oil worked into it we could make it through a day afield without it rusting. Much. I eventually ditched it and got him something else.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

5. Member
    That Rem Oil is junk. I stopped using that the minute I put it on the bolt then took it off with a towel. CLP would be better to use on the Parkerized coating on your weapon.

6. Member
    Ya I'd use clp as well
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

7. Member
    Try ballistol gun oil. You can use it for just about anything. It's works great. Yes the Parkerized finish is different than the traditional blue finish that Remington had on others rifles like the 700 BDL. Moisture is attracted to the parkerized and the rough texture allows the rust to show up more often. Usually it is just surface rust and you can wipe off or use a fine steel wool and gun oil to gently rub off. Make sure you don't leave in case for long periods or it will be worse.

8. Member
    Thanks guys. I bought this gun because I had heard the coating was supposed to hold up a little better to rain/snow but I guess I was lied to. First problem ive ever had out of any of my remingtons. How are their newer stainless barrels? I considered trading this one in for the stainless version

9. Member
    Nothing wrong with the Parkerized finished. Its a porous type of coating, so if you apply a good oil to it, it will hold up great to the weather. I have a 700 SPS that is getting sent off to LRI to have the receiver and barrel Cerakoted, and see if I can have them squeeze in a barrel threading. They are the ones that fluted and coated my bolt. They do great work.

If the black parkerized finish is the only thing that bugs you, might want to try to have it Duracoated or Cerakoted by a reputable place. If not, dont be afraid to give it a good heavy wipe down with some CLP.

10. Banned
    Use an oil, as suggested above, that's designed to stop rust.

11. Member
    I looked at a brand new 870 at the Gun dealer...The receiver already had rust on it...Not so sure the parker zed finish holds up better than normal bluing..

12. Member

USA

Real Parkerized finish on WWII rifles worked pretty well. I don't know anything about what Remington is doing.

13. Member
    I use past wax on all metal parts put it on heavy like they did army rifles .I also put it on wood as long as it is not engraved . Then buff it out when you are going too use it. Waxing the wood holds down scratches .

Quote Originally Posted by ROADRUNNER View Post
    Real Parkerized finish on WWII rifles worked pretty well. I don't know anything about what Remington is doing.
    Its not parkerized or advertised as such. Remington calls it a matte blued finish.
    Last edited by berudd; 08-10-2017 at 07:44 PM.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

15. Member
    My new 870 rusted after the first use so I buffed all the matte finish off and reblued it and covered it with a vinyl wrap. My old 870 a 1973 model has never rusted . I think I will pack it in cozmolene for the winter

16. Member
    Just Remington's new guns mine does the same thing my older Remington's do not I have always been a Remington person but they don't make them like they used to

The newer model 870's are not in the same league as the older ones. It's not that they are bad, it's just that the older ones are fantastic.

18. Member
    Bought my youngest daughter a stainless 243 model 700 a few years ago found out after I cleaned it the floor plate cover looks like stainless but it is actually plastic really not the way one should be made the money they saved by doing that is not worth losing a long time customer over but I won't buy another one