Thread: Caracal Owners

Caracal Owners

Anyone switch from longer boat to the Caracal? Curious if there is any regrets. I fish Toledo Bend often, and worry about going to a shorter boat. I ran a cougar before i got my V20, and really liked it.....may go back that route. I know the Lynx is out now, and i am curious to see how they are priced compared to the Caracal and Cougar.

Appreciate any info
    2017 Phoenix 920

The Caracal was intentionally kept at a lower price tag to remain competitive. It is a good value and a nice rig. As for going in reverse on the size there are a lot of gives and takes that someone else certainly can answer. JP DeRose ("Breaking Boundries" on WFN) has been in four or five different models and returned to the Caracal this year a second time. His largest was the Jaguar and he can take his pick. This year we do think he will run a Lynx.

3. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    I went from a CougarFTD/250ProXs to a 2015 Caracal. I don't have any regrets. I wanted the wider deck as my balance isn't what it used to be. I now have that. I think the Cougar handled rough water slightly better than my Caracal, although after having it a year or so, I'm learning more about how to deal with rough water with the Caracal. I don't miss the speed at all. I seldom ran much over 50mph with the Cougar anyway. Mine doesn't have underseat storage, so I do miss that some. All in all, it was a very wise move for me to go with the Caracal. For some reason, I do think my Cougar with the 250 used less fuel than my Caracal with the 225. I have power poles on the Caracal, didn't have them on the Cougar. I seldom use them other than to anchor down to eat lunch.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

Appreciate the info.....I made the jump to Legend two years ago and even though i love the fishing platform of the V20, i really miss the performance of my Cougar. My legend is about 10-12 mph slower than my cougar was. I just need to get to a dealer and put my hands on Caracal. I will look at the Eyra also, i have always loved the look of the Eyra.
    2017 Phoenix 920

5. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    The Caracal was intentionally kept at a lower price tag to remain competitive. It is a good value and a nice rig. As for going in reverse on the size there are a lot of gives and takes that someone else certainly can answer. JP DeRose ("Breaking Boundries" on WFN) has been in four or five different models and returned to the Caracal this year a second time. His largest was the Jaguar and he can take his pick. This year we do think he will run a Lynx.
    I just got a glimpse of the Caracal on this show. She looks very sleek and sits nice and low in the water. Don't know if that's the actual case or maybe JP has more mass than he appears. Color scheme is real sharp too, the black with electric blue pins.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

6. Member
    How is the ride on the Legend compared to your old cougar?

7. Member
    If you lay 7-foot-plus rods on the starboard side of the deck on a Caracal, do the tips hit the console?

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Max 1981 View Post
    How is the ride on the Legend compared to your old cougar?
    The Legend rides a little better in the real rough stuff, but not enough to keep me from going back to a Cougar. As far as cornering or running winding canals, the Cougar hands down. Don't get me wrong, the V20 is a fishing machine and i really like the boat. I just miss the performance of Bass Cat. I make long runs often, and that extra cruising speed comes in handy.
    2017 Phoenix 920

Quote Originally Posted by RiverZX View Post
    If you lay 7-foot-plus rods on the starboard side of the deck on a Caracal, do the tips hit the console?
    I was wondering the same, I use 7'11" punch rods often and wondered if they'd fit on front deck.
    2017 Phoenix 920

Quote Originally Posted by cdporchejr View Post
    I was wondering the same, I use 7'11" punch rods often and wondered if they'd fit on front deck.
    I came out of a 20 iclass, and yes they will touch console if you normally strap them in front of the reel. But it's not like they dangling over the gauges.
    far as your original question, there are some differences, BUT, none that anyone can't adjust too. Like Billus said, you learn to deal with it, tug boat waves, wind, ruff water. Caracal has a very well designed hull(thanks Mr Pierce), and if u trim it down, slow up, and let the V do its job, it rides fine. Oh, u mite not b the first one there, but it won't take 5 min for your eyes to stop bouncing.
    Mine is pretty much maxed out on weight, 2--26gal fuel, 4 batteries, 2 power poles, Ultrex, 15-20 rods, bunch of Plano boxes, and always 2 wal-mart bags. And yes the Lynx is impressive!!!
    i do plan on doing a full review on the caracal and my thoughts, soon.
    gene
    22 BassCat Lynx
    22Mercury proXS
    Hummingbird/garmin
    ALX rods/Shimano /Lews
    Maxwell Flying inc

11. Member
    I have 8' swimbait rod. On the drivers side it will sit next to the console up on the gunwale. On the passenger side there room on the side of the console however it will be over the passengers rods if they have any in there rod storage area.
    Basscat!

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billius View Post
    I went from a CougarFTD/250ProXs to a 2015 Caracal. I don't have any regrets. I wanted the wider deck as my balance isn't what it used to be. I now have that. I think the Cougar handled rough water slightly better than my Caracal, although after having it a year or so, I'm learning more about how to deal with rough water with the Caracal. I don't miss the speed at all. I seldom ran much over 50mph with the Cougar anyway. Mine doesn't have underseat storage, so I do miss that some. All in all, it was a very wise move for me to go with the Caracal. For some reason, I do think my Cougar with the 250 used less fuel than my Caracal with the 225. I have power poles on the Caracal, didn't have them on the Cougar. I seldom use them other than to anchor down to eat lunch.
    We call them lunch poles.

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    I bought JP's 2015 Caracal. I mainly fish Lake St Clair and northern Erie. Love the boat. Handles big water well - and fits in my garage :-)

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex