Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Eclipse coming up.

Some school districts are closing around here saying the kids would be on the way home and look at the sun while riding the bus home.

The system I work for apparently has purchased glasses for every student and worker to use as education.

What's your system doing in your area?
    Praying for a Cure

Closed. I hope it's raining

So far, nothing.

I have no idea.

My county is in the path of totality. I'm off on Mondays so I'm going down to the lake to see how the fishing is during the eclipse. The lake I'm going to is about 7 miles from the centerline of totality. It's supposed to last around 2 1/2 minutes. Rain or shine I'm going. The solunar tables show that day's fishing as excellent.

Not a bad idea, night bite breaking out in the middle of the day.

Dang, looks like its only the flyover states................

7. Banned
    Ours is closed. I really thought they would use it as an educational tool. Seems as though they've used it as a tool to get a 3 day weekend.

Closed here also. Heck my bank is closing for the day.
    "If People Concentrated on the Really Important Things in Life, There'd be a Shortage of Fishing Poles." - Doug Larson
    "Peace is not the absence of turmoil but the presence of God" Jo-Ann Thomack

9. Member
    In other news, stoves are now being banned across the country for fear that a kid might touch a hot one and burn themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by WPS456 View Post
    In other news, stoves are now being banned across the country for fear that a kid might touch a hot one and burn themselves.

I shouldn't laugh too hard. This will become true at some point in time. I just hope it is not while I'm on this ball of mud.
    "SEE YOU AT THE TOP"

"Mama always told me not to look into the eyes of the sun.
    But Mama....that's where the fun is".
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

12. 9/11 - Never forget markheb's Avatar
    State workers in Cole County (Jefferson City, MO) get the day off due their thinking that the traffic is going to be too bad to go to work. Your tax dollars hard at work there. I live 2 miles from the centerline of the path and still have to go to work.
    "Do not believe everything you read or see on the internet" -- Abraham Lincoln.

13. Member
    I'm virtually at ground zero for the eclipse path. Schools closed here.

Closed

We will have a partial eclipse at best. I doubt anything will be closed as it will just like a normal partially cloudy day!!
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

16. Banned
    Schools closed. Schools are giving kids free glasses. There's not a boat available for rent anywhere on Kentucky or Barkley, some people are evening offering their own private boat for rent/charter on craigslist. Lots of events that weekend, concerts, etc. in an effort to attract as many people as possible since we're going to experience totality. Lots of warnings to stock up on groceries ahead of time, fill up gas tanks, etc. due to the influx of people supposedly going to exhaust all local supplies that weekend.

Cool NASA page where you can enter your address and figure out how much of the eclipse you'll see: https://eyes.nasa.gov/eyes-on-eclipse-web-app.html

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tlarcher View Post
    Ours is closed. I really thought they would use it as an educational tool. Seems as though they've used it as a tool to get a 3 day weekend.
    I really appreciate them closing the schools, I'll get to spend the day with the kids at the lake and get to watch it together. Hopefully a day they won't soon forget.

18. Banned
    Traffic is supposed to be a nightmare. Once the eclipse is over, everyone will hit the road at the same time, which means chaos. During the eclipse cars will be pulled over on the shoulder watching and so on. That's another reason school was cancelled as the buses would get caught up in that mess as school would be dismissed about an hour after the eclipse.

Seems like it would be a good educational thing. I rennet when I was young we had a partial eclipse and we went outside and done some type of experiments.

Quote Originally Posted by artcarney_agr View Post
    Schools closed. Schools are giving kids free glasses. There's not a boat available for rent anywhere on Kentucky or Barkley, some people are evening offering their own private boat for rent/charter on craigslist. Lots of events that weekend, concerts, etc. in an effort to attract as many people as possible since we're going to experience totality. Lots of warnings to stock up on groceries ahead of time, fill up gas tanks, etc. due to the influx of people supposedly going to exhaust all local supplies that weekend.

Cool NASA page where you can enter your address and figure out how much of the eclipse you'll see: https://eyes.nasa.gov/eyes-on-eclipse-web-app.html
    Cool app. Looks like about 1 PM it will peak here, not total but looks to be 90-95%.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast