Spare/Emergency Prop Recommendations?

Hey guys, I fished a tournament this weekend and buddy of mine called me about an hour in saying he slung a blade and asked if I had a spare..nope! Got me thinking I should have an emergency back-up prop in the boat. Does anyone have a recommendation on one that is decent and won't break the bank?

Thanks,

Mike
    Mike Malinao
    2010 XB-21 BasSport 2+2 250 Mercury Pro XS
    https://www.facebook.com/mikemalinaofishing

2. Member
    You could do a used bravo xs and keep it stock for $400ish. I like mine and they are pretty popular on the 21's. But if you want it dialed you will be $700 (at least) into it after you pay for shipping and paying Robbie to work his magic.

Or another hydro for $900ish.

Either way, get something smaller so you have options for when you start pulling the kids. With my 1.62 gears i can pull the tube with my 26 bravo but i dont like it. I need the rpms up a little so i bought an original bravo1 24'" thinking that would be the ticket. But it has no pvs holes and so it is horrible on holeshot. Need to sell it or send it to robbie to have holes drilled in it so it can vent.
    John Wolff
    2003 Allison XB21 2+2
    2003 Mercury 250xs

3. Member
    If you are looking for something to just get you back to the ramp, eBay has Mercury emergency props for well under $100. I was looking at them to keep in boat but opted for a beat up Trophy plus.
    Last edited by Chisco; 08-02-2017 at 06:57 AM.

Anything to get you home in a bind.. I normally carry an old 25 Trophy plus.
    After dropping a nut while changing a broken prop on the water-----I also carry a spare nut and washers -

5. Member
    If something goes bad at the beginning of the day you want something that is decent to save the day, like your buddies issue. With that in mind, anything you get is in the $300+ range. So once you get to there you might as well do a little more to get something you can actually use for something other than emergencies. I have my 28 XOB and worked 26 Bravo XS right now but once my 24 gets right I will keep that in the boat so I will normally have the 24 and 26 on/in the boat. Both can be used to tube and both will run over 70mph.
    John Wolff
    2003 Allison XB21 2+2
    2003 Mercury 250xs

6. Member
    I also carry a complete spare hub in case I drop one of the rubber strips or a nut while changing.
    John Wolff
    2003 Allison XB21 2+2
    2003 Mercury 250xs

7. BBC SPONSOR
    After slinging a blade 10 miles into a 50 mile one way trip during a tournament, I always carry a spare. I was going to buy a prop holder but ended up buying a gun case that perfectly holds a 30 xob. On tournament day it is in the middle bilge between gas tank and oil/battery box. When I make solo runs I move it to the rear port box for ballast. Works really well for me and I don't have a prop rolling around in the boat.
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

8. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    I too carry one of my SS props that I have on hand. We all have some sort of second prop that we like to switch back and forth with, right? Tim P stated he uses a hard case. I have a prop bag that my spare stays in. And I use it for ballast as well. I also carry a new hub kit that stays in that prop bag as well. I'll never sling a blade while fishing around home only on a vacation somewhere that will be a real inconvenience not having a GOOD spare.
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

9. Member
    I always carry a spare. The one time I wished I could use it I was missing half the prop shaft so it didn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by AllyFishing View Post
    I too carry one of my SS props that I have on hand. We all have some sort of second prop that we like to switch back and forth with, right? Tim P stated he uses a hard case. I have a prop bag that my spare stays in. And I use it for ballast as well. I also carry a new hub kit that stays in that prop bag as well. I'll never sling a blade while fishing around home only on a vacation somewhere that will be a real inconvenience not having a GOOD spare.
    I run the same way. I wrap a spare life jacket around the prop to protect it from vibrating through the prop bag. As for which prop, I always trade out for a faster wheel than what I currently have on the boat. Just in case the occasion comes up that I need more speed for.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

11. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    exactly!!!
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

12. Member
    Good advice! In a 2 day tournament and something goes wrong on day 1, I'd be screwed with just any prop. Thanks guys
    Mike Malinao
    2010 XB-21 BasSport 2+2 250 Mercury Pro XS
    https://www.facebook.com/mikemalinaofishing

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Powell View Post
    After slinging a blade 10 miles into a 50 mile one way trip during a tournament, I always carry a spare. I was going to buy a prop holder but ended up buying a gun case that perfectly holds a 30 xob. On tournament day it is in the middle bilge between gas tank and oil/battery box. When I make solo runs I move it to the rear port box for ballast. Works really well for me and I don't have a prop rolling around in the boat.
    What box? I want some boxes for props and the old attwood ones are hard to comeby

14. Member
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 90 5.0 View Post
    What box? I want some boxes for props and the old attwood ones are hard to comeby