450 Miles with cover on or without?

Headed to KY lake tomorrow (8 hrs on highway) and i was curious to see if there are pluses and minuses to hauling with a cover or not?

2. Member
    I have a custom cover for my RT188. Fits very tight. I tow everywhere with the cover on. Average is 100 miles round-trip for me. I have never towed 450 miles but I wouldn't hesitate to tow that distance with a custom tight fitting cover.

3. Member

USA

On my current boat I tow, cover on all the time unless I am trying to dry it out after a rainy fishing trip. It is a custom cover and fits like a glove.

Towing, cover on keeps unwanted things out of it ( rain, trash, bird poop, lit cigars (it happens), helps on gas mileage ( I have a separate motor cover).

First boat had one piece cover, it was hard to see behind me, it was like a sail and hurt gas mileage. All covers after that had two piece covers ( boat / motor ).

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    If your cover moves at all it can scuff the finish of the boat. I tow without unless rain is in the forecast.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

5. Member
    If there is ANY movement in the cover expect dulling of your gel coat. If a tag line gets loose on a strap expect the same thing. If you're going to do it I'd wrap the top cap in some of the cling wrap like movers use first. Personally, I'd take my chances on road debris and then wash the boat out. Some worry about a stray cigarette butt getting tossed out but that can burn a thousand dollar cover as well as the carpet in your boat.

6. Member
    Nice to hear the cling wrap/saran wrap idea, I have thought about that before, figured it was not a great idea. If it's a tight fitting cover, I'd consider trying to trailer that far with it on.
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

7. Member
    I tow with my cover on my Z118. I don't do anything special but put it on per the instructions. I have had a loose strap or two that has probably slapped the boat while going down the highway. I never have noticed any issues with it marking the boat. I don't know why others have said they have had issues but apparently that might be the case. Even if I was getting some rub marks etc from the cover while towing I would still tow with it. Heck one good rock chip that it would prevent is worth it to me to have to periodically use a little elbow grease to remove cover rub marks.

I have a very good custom cover but prefer to tow without UNLESS, it is goin to rain.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

9. Member
    Agree with the "only if it rains" crowd for reasons mentioned.
    You Don't Know what you Don't Know until you Know.

1984 Champion 201/Yamaha 175
    1986 Ranger 390v/Yamaha 200
    2002 Viper Cobra Coosa 216/Mercury 225EFI
    2002 ProSports ProKat 2200/Twin Yamaha 150HPDIs

10. Member
    I have a RT-188 & travel 400 each way to KY lake, 3 times a year & 980 miles to minn. & back each year with a custom Ranger cover on it & do not have wear on the finish! The trick is to have the cover on very tight & stop after 25 to 30 miles and re-tighten ,then it will be good to go the rest of the way. If you take off early in the morning when it is cooler, Ranger cover tend to loosen up when it gets cooler & tighten up when it gets hot out!

11. Member
    I always use a cover, the transport industry has taught me the roadways are not friendly to cargo
    2004 Ranger 521vx Yamaha 250 SHO

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bluemcm View Post
    Nice to hear the cling wrap/saran wrap idea, I have thought about that before, figured it was not a great idea. If it's a tight fitting cover, I'd consider trying to trailer that far with it on.
    I do this for my 280 mile drive to KYL and 1000 mile drive to Florida. Takes me an extra 20 minutes. well worth it to me.
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

13. Member
    No way I'm towing with a cover. Rather have a wet dirty boat than any scuffs or scratches.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OH_Ranger View Post
    No way I'm towing with a cover. Rather have a wet dirty boat than any scuffs or scratches.
    I don't blame you but I just don't get them when I tow with my cover. If it scratched my Ranger up I probably would not put it on as well.

15. Member

USA

If you have a good, well fitting cover, you will not scuff your boat. I have been doing it since 1977 no scuffs on 3 different boats. All the covers came from the same place. Pat's Custom Cover in St. Louis MO.

16. Member
    Thanks for the input from everyone! I decided to tow down with the cover on and off coming back. I found i got a lot better MPG coming back up with no cover along with not feeling the wind as much on the highway.

17. Member

USA

I assume you have a one piece cover. Two piece ( separate motor cover ) will get better MPG.