Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question 95 150 faststrike weird issue

motor runs great wide open ---but it will start to slow down and when you just barely let off throttle will go right back to full speed. I am am talking just BARELY let off throttle then goes back wide open . any ideas from anyone ?
    thanks.

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Possibly a sticking timing arm.

3. Member
    thanks championman ---how is best way to check see if it is sticking and best remedy ? thanks !

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Remove the timing disk cover from the top of the motor (3 phillips head screws) and observe the movement of the timing arm as you apply full throttle (static) and return it to neutral. The linkages are held down by plastic brackets that can over time bind. Use this for reference.

5. Member
    ok thanks !! u the man !

6. Member
    well crud checked that out and everything seems fine so guess back to the drawing board, still doing same thing

7. Member
    high speed jets snug,,,,?

8. Member
    that gonna be next thing to check ---thanks !

9. Member
    Are your carb butterflies over rotating past center at full throttle? If you have a hot foot, may need an adjustment.

10. Member
    check your tank for junk in it. My dad had same prob with his fast strike, that was it.

11. Member
    I had a hot foot but removed it , I will check butterflies --thanks

12. Member
    still having same issues --driving me nuts --runs great too about 4500 rpm then starts same ol crap

13. Member
    Still running the VRO? Do you ever get a warning horn when it starts to slow down? What is the top RPM the motor will turn? It depends on the weather conditions for the day, but around 4500 is where the carbs high speed circuit kicks in, it's controlled by the air flow. I'm not sure how this could be a problem, thought about something that happens at 4500. I did have a similar problem with our big block motors and some modified motors, you could get plenty of air and fuel in but with limited exhaust on these motors, you couldn't get it out. Just pull the throttle back a little and they picked right back up, this was running on the dyno.

14. Member
    no VRO ---no warning horn either ----2 days ago got 5100 rpm but just for lil bit ---yesterday most I could get was about 4800 rpm. and air was cooler actually had a lil front come thru and temp was about 71 in the morning. 2 days ago when I got it to 5100 rpm seemed was gonna straighten out , yesterday not so much again . when I do try to push it to get more rpm and trim it up lil more the engine sound (tone) does change sounds different, hard to explain almost like blowing out. sounds and runs great to about 4500 rpm and hole shot is always GREAT .

15. Member
    I know about that sound like when the prop loses bite and you can feel it. As you know slick water, slower speeds, a little chop great speeds. Sometimes I could hit a little wave and lose bite and have to set it all up again. I run a hydraulic jack plate, just a little bump up or down can make a difference. Do you think it could be something that happens at just the right RPM and trim angle, and be prop related?

16. Member
    anything possible lol ----I have tried two different props a renegade and a trophy plus---same with both. running conditions were ideal cooler weather and light winds with small chop on the water. I am gonna check high speed jets again for grins . one other thing was I had black soot on prop like running to rich maybe. never have had that before. also had just put fresh gas in it so don't think could be stale gas.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 316jughead View Post
    I know about that sound like when the prop loses bite and you can feel it. As you know slick water, slower speeds, a little chop great speeds. Sometimes I could hit a little wave and lose bite and have to set it all up again. I run a hydraulic jack plate, just a little bump up or down can make a difference. Do you think it could be something that happens at just the right RPM and trim angle, and be prop related?

I had this exact thing happen with me and my jackplate was too low
    DAVID HIGHTOWER
    CARTERSVILLE, GA.
    1998 TRITON TR-18
    EVINRUDE G2 150 HO

call me crazy but could it be another bad fuel bowl/s issue?
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

Just my .02...next time you take the boat out, take a buddy with you and when it hits that 4500 rpm have him squeeze the primer bulb. If the rpms increase it might indicate an air leak in the fuel system.
    Just a way to help track down the problem!
    Just can't leave well enough alone!!

98 Stratos 273 w/ 150 Faststrike

20. Member
    good idea --willing to try anything at this point--thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast