gel coat on top cap

needing to spray clear coat on top cap , what is best to spray it with that will last other than gel coat

2. Member
    Most everything I have heard says do not spray auto clear over gel. Seems it tends to flake off over time. No experience myself just passing along what I have heard.

3. Member
    heard same thing, was wandering if they make a clear coat that will last and not peel off

4. Member
    I used to do custom auto painting. When I first heard it was bad to clear over gelcoat I thought people were crazy until I saw pic after pic of it peeling off. What I wonder is did the peeling happen just from poor preparation or is there really some sort of chemical reaction or contaminate that causes it to peel. Lets remember that there are many boat mfgs out there that do a final top coat with paint not gelcoat.

I do know they have clear gelcoat and an additive which aids its flow when spraying. You will still end up wetsanding and buffing for a final shiny appearance but I would rather do that than have peeling clear.

Quote Originally Posted by 250 xb river rat View Post
    needing to spray clear coat on top cap , what is best to spray it with that will last other than gel coat
    How bad is your top cap?
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

6. Member
    Have you tried restoring the gel-coat?