Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ohorn

Engine mounted crooked Advice needed

Anyone know of anyone that the engine was mounted crooked on their boat? I have a new boat that the engine is mounted that way on the port side like 5/16 lower?

My question is what did the boat company do to fix the problem if anything?

Thanks in advance!

2. Member
    Take it back. To fix it correctly the factory should remove the engine and redo the transom. I would not accept new holes being drilled and the dealer just filling the old holes. That is a terrible mistake. What brand boat did you buy?

3. Member
    Can you tell if there's a difference driving it?

4. Banned
    The engine needs to be square with the hull, not the top cap of the transom. Take it back to the dealer and have them verify, then prove/ show to you it's square with the hull. The top cap of the transom may not have been cleaned up enough before the chrome/ stainless steal plate was installed giving it the illusion that the engine is crooked... Dan

5. Member
    Mine was mounted crooked but I didn't notice it until years later (way out of warranty of course) after mounting a manual jackplate. I leveled it by making the adjustments using the jackplate. It's off just shy of 1/8 of an inch.

6. Member
    The engine needs to be square with the hull, not the top cap of the transom. Take it back to the dealer and have them verify, then prove/ show to you it's square with the hull. The top cap of the transom may not have been cleaned up enough before the chrome/ stainless steal plate was installed giving it the illusion that the engine is crooked... Dan
    This

7. Member
    It really doesn't matter most likely. Just appearance. If the boat runs well, and doesn't lean, I'd shut up and fish. It's a fishing boat.

8. Member
    Maybe post some pics with tape measure from bottom edge of boat marked to pencil line on top engine bolt. Lots of guys on here that know a lot about this stuff that can help.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MCIPinkie View Post
    It really doesn't matter most likely. Just appearance. If the boat runs well, and doesn't lean, I'd shut up and fish. It's a fishing boat.
    This is not good advice. Don't just accept anything on a new boat that you paid thousand to buy. Take it back while it is under warranty. Also if you ever have to sell it some of the potential buyer may notice it it crooked and decide to look elsewhere which would cause problems finding someone to buy it.

Did you ever sell used cars for a living ??

11. Member
    To the OP, I agree, if new, regardless of the hassle, I'd take it to the dealer to get it checks and made right.

Along these lines how tight do the bolt holes in the transom have to be? Should the tolerances be really tight or is a little wiggle room ok? My transom had some gel coat work on the rear surface and some fiberglass work on the forward surface in the aft compartment and as a result the holes ended up slightly off requiring some adjustment so that they aren't super tight on the bolts. It all went back together square, motor relative to the hull. I added a little epoxy to tighten up two of them a bit. Anyway, not intending to highjack.... just a good thread to ask.
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

12. Member
    Take it to back to the dealer bud! I have a 2009 stratos with the engine slightly crooked and my boat had a left lean probably caused by prop torque but the engine sure doesnt help! You spent your savings on this they need to make it right!
    Nitro z20 2021 with 250 Mercury Pro XS 4 stroke serial # 3B010400

13. Member
    When mounting new talons on my 3 month old boat I found my engine (Jackplate) was mounted crooked. I immediately called my dealer. He took pictures and emailed them to the manufacturer. I was lucky my manufacturer has great customer service. My boat was replaced with the same model boat (newer model year) 1 week later.

14. Ohorn
    I agree with you they should replace the boat I took it in last Friday and I am waiting on them for the results?

15. Member
    My dealer really helped me... at first the manufacturer said they would remount the motor. I talked it over with the dealer and he agreed with my concerns. He made some more calls for me and gave me the number to the customer service manager. I then called him directly and was told I could pick up my new boat as soon as the dealer prepped it and transferred the talons and electronics

Quote Originally Posted by TritonBrad View Post
    My dealer really helped me... at first the manufacturer said they would remount the motor. I talked it over with the dealer and he agreed with my concerns. He made some more calls for me and gave me the number to the customer service manager. I then called him directly and was told I could pick up my new boat as soon as the dealer prepped it and transferred the talons and electronics
    I would go this route, boats are expensive so get what you paid for. Good luck!
    89 Ranger 360v/05 Optimax 200

Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    Did you ever sell used cars for a living ??
    Headlights dont work you say? You dont drive at night much anyway, right?

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

18. Member
    Sell it to this guy
    Ranger 205dvs 225opti

19. Ohorn
    I contacted Tracker that also owns Triton and talked to the warranty person I told her about past practices and she told me you must of had other issues because they would never do that? Was this the only issue with your triton? I think Tracker may be not telling me the truth?

Thanks for your help!

20. Member
    Mine was on a new Skeeter I bought 2 years ago... I went from Triton to Skeeter.. That was the only issue with my boat. I can't say enough good thing about my customer service experience with Skeeter. Stay on Triton that is a B.S. response. For the amount of money we are paying for bass boats I would expect them to at least put the motor on the boat correctly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast