need to fix some gel coat scrapes / gouges in areas with flake

My used / new to me boat has several scrapes in the gel that I need to fix. I have done PLENTY of gel coat work in the past but only on solid colors. Some of the areas I need to fix now are in areas containing the typical bass boat flake.

What is the process to fix this and any specific company out there recommended to buy products from. This is a 2000 model and the only time I called Ranger about info on it they had no idea. So I doubt there is any chance I would be able to order color matched products.

My guess is there is flake mixed with clear and sprayed at the factory. So if I knew how to thicken clear gel enough to make it a paste I would apply it that way then spay on a few coats of clear 6 or so inches past to feather things in. Then a good wet sand and buff should blend well.

No idea though only guessing. Any help out there ?

Thanks

2. Member
    No need to thicken the gel. You can buy gelled gel,it's not quite a putty,in lots of colors including clear. You should be able to buy matching flake from Ranger with your serial number. They've always did it in the past,not sure with the new owners though. I would think most places that sell gel would also have the putty or you can try ProMarine.com.

3. Member
    BTW, I have a 2000 Ranger brochure if you need any info on the boat specs. Just send me the model number and I'll give you what I have.

4. Member
    Another place to try is Minicraft of Florida Inc. Minicraft.com,352-748-5200. They stock original color matched gel and flake but you will need to be able to tell them the color.

5. Member
    Sorry for the lack of info in my thread. I should have said that I have a 2000 Stratos. Being that whomever owns Ranger also owns Stratos I called them but was provided little info.