Gel coat question

I purchased some pro-tec boat products to put some shine back into my top cap of my 99 triton tr21. I wet sanded, used the moisturizer and then sealant. Everything went good but I have 3 spots that I ran across that I could not get smooth. One is the size of a quarter and the other 2 spots are the size of half dollar. I sanded with 800 up to 2000 grit, and seem to smooth out at first but higher grit I went the more porous and ruff that area got. Is there anything I can do for this or is it going to create more air pockets.

Thanks
    Steve

2. Member
    Steve, I think you are into the metalflake in those spots...don't know how you should proceed in those spots.I am doing the same think right now with my 2001 nitro 700lx

3. Member
    Thats what I thought too. Seemed like the more I sanded it opened up more air pockets in the gel. Other than that the top cap turn out great.

Hard to believe you sanded through to the flake with just 800....those areas could have had pits in the gel that go to the flake. The deeper you go you either get to solid gel or the pits get bigger the deeper you go....
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

5. Member
    You might be able to buy a gel repair kit and brush on a coat of clear gel then sand and buff it back down.

6. Member
    I am thinking that is what I have. I lightly sanded with 1500 grit today and the green flake was turning silver so I stopped. Would the gel coat kits on the market be something to look at correcting this problem?

7. Member
    I would think so,just be sure it is clear gel. Use the best quality brush you can find,like a Purdy brush. The smoother the gel goes on the less sanding it will need.

8. Member
    Can clear gel and a good wet sanding bring back gel that has been sanded through to the flake?

9. Member
    No. You can maybe get it re cleared but if the flake has started to turn silver it won't bring the color back. If it's that bad I would let a professional look at it

You can always add a little flake to the clear gel... Or better yet put a thin layer of clear gel down, blow on the flake and flatten with your plastic, then come back with another layer or clear later, then sand... See the post below on DIY gel repair.

BTW, I'm no expert!!! lol...
    Layton Strong
    Nitro State Team