Detwiler with trim switch

I figured this sub forum would be the best place to ask this question since many of you have a similar setup. Currently my fathers 225 merc proxs is mounted to a 6" detwiler hydro backplate, which is mounted to his Triton Tr21. This is the older style detwiler with the pump mounted in the transom. The jack plate is controlled with the factory ex Zact dial. The dial has been a problem and constantly goes out of calibration. After doing some research, it looks like one of the best ways to go is the pro trim blinker switch, and a Bob's gauge. I saw a thread somewhere with pictures of the bobs sending unit mounted to the detwiler, but I'm having trouble finding it again. I am going to be installing this for my dad. So, is this the best way to go about this or are there other options that are good? Does anyone have a diagram or directions for how to wire the pro trim blinker switch to the detwiler? Also, does anyone have a write up on mounting the bobs sending unit to the jackplate and wiring in the gauge? I notice there are different applications for this gauge(action or extreme,standard,mini). Which one works for this application? Sorry for being long winded. And thanks in advance.

2. Member
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....light=Detwiler

Ok. I found the thread with the pics. I notice one used the bobs gauge and one used the detwiler gauge. Is one more accurate/better than the other? I notice the application question wasn't answered here. Action or extreme,standard,mini

3. Member
    I have a Detwiller gage on my rig, not quite 3 years old and the gage has quit working. Not a big deal for me as I have painted reference lines on the jack plate for a visual on flush, 1.5" above and so on. To be fair, I haven't looked into why it has quit, just don't look at it. When it worked it didn't seem to repeat very accurately but again it is just for ref when starting out in the morning.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Strokerdean View Post
    I have a Detwiller gage on my rig, not quite 3 years old and the gage has quit working. Not a big deal for me as I have painted reference lines on the jack plate for a visual on flush, 1.5" above and so on. To be fair, I haven't looked into why it has quit, just don't look at it. When it worked it didn't seem to repeat very accurately but again it is just for ref when starting out in the morning.
    With the research I have been doing, this is along the same lines as the information I have found

5. Member
    Ttt for some input

6. aka Strokedyamaha StrokerSmoker's Avatar
    I did mine 10 years ago its as easy as unhooking three wires from the exadial and pluging them in to the switch instead..... that's it.

Hi performance parts or a Yamaha power head visit
    Hydro-Tec's web site @ http://www.yamaha-rebuild.com/
    Paul Hottman Hydro-Tec's Pro staff since 1998

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StrokerSmoker View Post
    I did mine 10 years ago its as easy as unhooking three wires from the exadial and pluging them in to the switch instead..... that's it.
    My fathers has a black box with a circuit board in it, that is mounted in the bilge area. The wires from the dial go into this box and multiple other wires connect as well. This is the box where the calibration of the backplate to the dial is done. Did you by-pass this calibration box? With the blinker switch, I would assume this calibration box can be eliminated. One less thing to cause any problems. Am i correct?

8. aka Strokedyamaha StrokerSmoker's Avatar
    my circuit board was near the shifter on mine if I remember there are three wires the attach at the exadial circuit board I unplugged those spade connectors and the wires were long enough to plug in to the new blinker trim switch that was it. I left the sender on the jp.

Hi performance parts or a Yamaha power head visit
    Hydro-Tec's web site @ http://www.yamaha-rebuild.com/
    Paul Hottman Hydro-Tec's Pro staff since 1998

9. Member
    I looks like with the Bob's gauge that I will need to replace the sending unit to work with that gauge. That's why I was questioning which version of Bob's gauge was used to mount to the detwiler plate. That sending unit doesn't look difficult to mount.

10. Member
    Does anyone know which version of Bob's sending unit works with the detwiler hydro jp? Action or extreme, mini, standard? Thanks