HPDI Help please

Background:

2004 200hp HPDI 2.6L
    (2 years since any major work, including new ecu, low and high pressure fuel pumps, trim etc)
    this spring, did my usual maintenance, filters plugs etc
    has been running great.

Problem:
    yesterday, on the water running down the river 5400rpm all of a sudden I start to loose rpms very quickly.
    Come off plane, shut down, and take a look (thinking maybe I hit a clump of weeds) no weeds to be found
    Fire it back up no problem, no alarms, but idling very rough and making a terrible "metal on metal" noise.
    I shut it off, tried again and same thing, tried to get back on plane and I have 0 power.
    Took off the cowling, there are no signs of damage, oil is full, fuel is full and fresh, spark plugs look good, no leaks

Any thoughts on what might be wrong before I bring it in to the dealer?

Thanks
    Luke

2. Banned
    Do a compression test.

3. Member
    Do you think I might have burned up a set of rings?
    there is no smoke what so ever when it's running.

4. Banned
    Take a look at the piston tops. Rotate the crank shaft to bring each to top dead center. Shine a bright line into the spark plug hole.

What do you see?

5. Member
    I will take a look tonight
    whats the easiet way to rotate the crank shaft?

6. Banned
    Easiest way would be to remove all of the plugs and the lower unit. Remove the flywheel cover and then turn the flywheel by hand. Maybe with a pair of gloves on. Or bump the starter motor to try and get each piston into position.

7. Member
    Jethro1

do I need to pull the LU to turn the fly wheel by hand?
    if I take the fly wheel cover off, would I be able to turn it?
    I would rather not take the LU off

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke Visser View Post
    Jethro1

You should be able to turn it by hand without removing the lower unit. I know I could on my HPDI.

9. Banned
    Jethro1

Depends upon the strength of ones hands. Try it. Maybe use a screw driver inserted into the flywheel teeth to move it along. It will turn a heckava lot easier with the LU removed however.

10. Member
    Before you do any of that remove your drain plug on your lower unit and check for metal chunks, I see alot of "blown up motors" that just have a blown lower unit.

11. Randy Walker
    Had the same problem last September... ended up being #2 piston top shredded and blew across the port to #1.. yeah.. no good! Was running about 66 mph when it happened. Immediate loss of power. Shut down.. started up with noise and would not get back on pad. 1.5 hour tow back to ramp... ended up having both cylinders rebuilt. Now, mine is a 2006 250 HPDI and that was the first EVER issue with the top end. A month after I purchased the boat back in 2007 I hit wood and blew the lower unit. Loss of power, lots of noise and clunking when putting in gear... soooo, sounds like it could be either one.

I wish you much luck... been there.. it sucks!

12. Member
    I guess to keep this up to date
    #5&#6 cylinders both failed. Both connecting rod bearings let go and the pistons hit the spark plugs.
    There was bad scoring on the cylinder walls.

Looking at a remanufactured power head. Any suggestions on where or who to buy it from?
    Being that I live in Canada, shipping it is a bit of a night mare, but I can't seem to find any distributors of OEM remans in Canada.

Luke

13. Member
    As far as a power head rebuild. Hydro Tec or Chris Carson. Factory reman, SIM Yamaha IF they are still available through Yamaha. Cj
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

14. Randy Walker
    Sorry to hear that's the case... that really sucks!!

15. Member
    Tough break. Happened to me last year. Your best bet would be to find a local mechanic that can pull the power head and get it crated up. Carson or hydrotec are the best in the business for hpdi. Ship it to them for the rebuild or make a vacation out of it and go to hydrotec. They can usually swap one out in a day or 2. Also id send your injectors to brucato since ya gotta pull em anyways. Bad deal. I been through it. But since my rebuild mine has been runnin great. Hope you can get it fixed good as new.

16. Member
    You guys think it's best to have it rebuilt?
    Or just replace the whole power head?

17. Member
    Since you just had all the components changed i would have it rebuilt. But it is your wallet. Either way its a pricey deal.

18. Member

Looking at a remanufactured power head. Any suggestions on where or who to buy it from?
    Being that I live in Canada, shipping it is a bit of a night mare, but I can't seem to find any distributors of OEM remans in Canada.

Luke
    If you are close to Ottawa,l and even if you aren't, I would suggest calling Aim Marine or Pirate Cove Marina. I know Pirate Cove does not rebuild but Aim might.
    In either case, I'm sure they could point you to a reputable place to have the work done. Both a Yamaha dealers.

You guys think it's best to have it rebuilt?
    Or just replace the whole power head?
    Call HydroTec (417) 725-5746. They can do it all, including injectors. If the block isn't damaged beyond machining helps reduce cost. They usually have blocks machined ready to go.

20. aka Strokedyamaha StrokerSmoker's Avatar
    +1 Call Matt at Hydro-tec they are the best in the buisness....awesome people to deal with.....shipping to Canada is no problem....

Hi performance parts or a Yamaha power head visit
    Hydro-Tec's web site @ http://www.yamaha-rebuild.com/
    Paul Hottman Hydro-Tec's Pro staff since 1998