Better choice for fall smallmouth??

I'm going to try and put together a weekend this fall chasing smallmouth north around houghton lake area. We will be fishing Hamlin at the end of September and after tourneys are over in mid October I'm hoping to treat my tourney partner to a good day or two on a lake where he can get into some good smallies.

Higgins keeps falling into my brain but I know nothing about it, this trip is more about him catching numbers and having fun but if there's a shot at a big fish that would be nice too. I'm also planning on finding a way to make st. Clair as well but a norther lake to just hunt brown fish is his dream and I'd like to make it happen for him.

Is higgins possible to roll into and find decent size smallies in the fall?? Or should I look elsewhere?? I know there are many factors, just looking for the opportunity and if it's there for someone who hasn't been before.

Thank you

2. Member
    Higgins may possibly be the toughest lake to fish in the state. I would look elsewhere.

I agree.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

4. Member
    Dave is right on Higgins...I've never done worth a darn there..and it makes no sense because it should be prime..

5. Member
    One hour further and you'd be able to fish Charlevoix, Burt and Mullet just to name a few and you'll have way better success.

6. Member
    I've spent almost 30 years on Higgins Lake.... I would go over to Long or Grand in Alpena.
    I had one epic day on Higgins and that was the spring. You can get size there but you have to work and cover a lot of water.
    08 Triton 17 Explorer/08 90 Merc

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by andyk View Post
    I've spent almost 30 years on Higgins Lake.... I would go over to Long or Grand in Alpena.
    I had one epic day on Higgins and that was the spring. You can get size there but you have to work and cover a lot of water.
    You ever do any Lake trout fishing on Higgins through the ice?? I'd like to try that sometime..

8. Member
    Frustrating thing about Higgins is that we have talked to many divers over the years, and they see big schools of giant bass. We never put much effort into it as there are so many better options up there. Charlevoix, Walloon, Torch chain would be my choices.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by castforcash View Post
    Frustrating thing about Higgins is that we have talked to many divers over the years, and they see big schools of giant bass. We never put much effort into it as there are so many better options up there. Charlevoix, Walloon, Torch chain would be my choices.
    The habitat looks right for Smallies for sure...It's not any different really then Burt and Mullet...Maybe a little less rocky but not much..

10. Member
    Sounds like I'll have fun at our club classic then. It's 1 day on Houghton and 1 day on Higgins.

11. Member
    Grand & Long would be your best bet for numbers inland.
    -Matt

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brnzbaklvr View Post
    You ever do any Lake trout fishing on Higgins through the ice?? I'd like to try that sometime..
    I'm not much of an ice fisherman. When I was younger I remember guys having to cut a bigger hole to get big brown through. A guy in our association is killing the trout this year. He is coming in with 2-3 fish a day it seems like.
    08 Triton 17 Explorer/08 90 Merc

hamlin can be very tough in the fall. Go to TC area (skeg/elk/intermediate), charlevoix or burt/mullet.
    belle aire is also great late in the year.

I'll just add to this post. I have Oct 7th and 8th off and am looking to take one more trip. Should that be prime fall fishing on GTB?
    2016 Tuffy X-190
    Yamaha F175, Mercury 9.9
    Motorguide 80 lb Xi5
    Garmim/Humminbird graphs and Talon

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Junk Fisherman View Post
    I'll just add to this post. I have Oct 7th and 8th off and am looking to take one more trip. Should that be prime fall fishing on GTB?
    It should be good but watch the wind...If it is coming out of the North like it likes to in the fall it can get rough on the bay.,....Have backup plans for the inland lakes in the area...

Quote Originally Posted by brnzbaklvr View Post
    It should be good but watch the wind...If it is coming out of the North like it likes to in the fall it can get rough on the bay.,....Have backup plans for the inland lakes in the area...
    I hear that. I have spent quite a bit of time there in June and know to not go out if there is much of a north wind. If those were forecast for that weekend I would not make the trip.
    2016 Tuffy X-190
    Yamaha F175, Mercury 9.9
    Motorguide 80 lb Xi5
    Garmim/Humminbird graphs and Talon