Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger RT View Post
    That transom will hold 4 power poles..
    I couldn't agree more

2. Kayak fishing most wanted ClaytonHaske's Avatar
    Ranger has sold enough aluminum rigs to know the transom is strong enough to handle the extra power-pole they say voids the warranty. Think about this, the Mercury pro XS 150 they offer with the boat weighs 431#, the Mercury 4 stroke they offer weighs 455#, and the Evinrude g2 they offer weighs 496#. Then the power-pole they sell with the boat adds 20.15# to the transom, not including the the bracket. That power-pole with a g2 would be about 520#. Now, a pro XS, with 2 power-pole pro 2's(17.75# transom weight) and brackets would weigh in around 480#. A g2 with 2 pro2's, and brackets would weigh about 546#. And, yes, Hank Parker has 2 talons on his rt188, and the guys at wired2fish.com have a really nice, tricked out rt188 with 2 Minn Kota talons also. So, I know it's not a strength issue, it's more of a "we want you to spend more money" issue.
    Last edited by ClaytonHaske; 08-07-2017 at 07:20 AM.

3. Member
    Precisely.

And it's pure BS.

4. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Where in the Ranger warranty does it specifically mention Power Poles and/or Talons will void the warranty?

http://www.rangeraluminum.com/images...umWarranty.pdf
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

I would say #2 appears to be a "catch-all" clause for any accessories installed (such as a direct transom mount modification for the anchor) not approved by Ranger that are deemed responsible for adversely affecting durability. I guess if you installed dual anchors and cracked a weld on the transom, you could fight them in court for invoking such a vague clause, but it will probably be cheaper to just find a good welder to fix it.

6. Member
    #16 could be used as well. All I know is I had two ordered and made my dealer call to verify before installing after things I heard on this site and others and the manufacturer confirmed....one pole, starboard side only, factory authorized mount only. I doubt my dealer would lie about it as they would have loved to sell another pole!

That was enough for me but I'm getting closer and closer to kissing my warranty goodbye every day....especially every mildly windy day.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 8theB8 View Post
    #16 could be used as well. All I know is I had two ordered and made my dealer call to verify before installing after things I heard on this site and others and the manufacturer confirmed....one pole, starboard side only, factory authorized mount only. I doubt my dealer would lie about it as they would have loved to sell another pole!

That was enough for me but I'm getting closer and closer to kissing my warranty goodbye every day....especially every mildly windy day.
    I agree, love the boat but everyday I get closer and closer to ordering two poles!!

If the common knowledge is 1 power on starboard side and only a 4" jackplate for a certain manufacturer, shouldn't that be in writing somewhere? It seems pretty specific to only be word of mouth.

9. Member
    According to # 8, wouldn't a jackplate void the warranty? Dealers will put one on for you, but does not come from factory with it. "8. An aluminum boat with an engine setback plate that is not factory installed."

10. Kayak fishing most wanted ClaytonHaske's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by volshw1962 View Post
    According to # 8, wouldn't a jackplate void the warranty? Dealers will put one on for you, but does not come from factory with it. "8. An aluminum boat with an engine setback plate that is not factory installed."
    Just have the factory install the Jack plate, then put power-poles on brackets attached to the side of the Jack plate(no transom mount brackets)and if a problem arises, un-install the poles and send it in. How would they know at the factory? I know a few guys that are doing this, and it's probably what I'm going to do. I heard they(ranger)will install 6" atlas hydraulic jackplates for the Mercury's, and a 4" atlas hydraulic jackplate for the g2, since it already has a 4" setback built in to the design of the outboard.

This is a very interesting topic.

12. Member
    Just a thought couldnt you just run with 2 poles then take one off if you should ever have a warranty issue? Not the most honest approach but I have had to this with Automobiles in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Gsmith223 View Post
    Just a thought couldnt you just run with 2 poles then take one off if you should ever have a warranty issue? Not the most honest approach but I have had to this with Automobiles in the past.
    That's what I was told to do.

14. Member
    Just got off the phone with Ranger Tech and Warranty guys. They said they are trying to get rid of putting jack plates on RT188's because they are seeing problems. And the warranty guy said absolutely No Power-Pole on Port side.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drtyrat30 View Post
    Just got off the phone with Ranger Tech and Warranty guys. They said they are trying to get rid of putting jack plates on RT188's because they are seeing problems. And the warranty guy said absolutely No Power-Pole on Port side.
    If this no Jack plate clause would have been there when i purchased mine, I definitely would have went with another brand or glass. That is exactly what Ranger wants people to do, but the funny thing is, if I ever purchase a fiberglass boat, it will most definitely not be a Ranger.
    2017 Triton 18 TRX
    200 Mercury Pro XS opti

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bbarras85 View Post
    If this no Jack plate clause would have been there when i purchased mine, I definitely would have went with another brand or glass. That is exactly what Ranger wants people to do, but the funny thing is, if I ever purchase a fiberglass boat, it will most definitely not be a Ranger.
    Yeah that new 18' crestliner Jon Cox is going to run at the FLW is a mean machine. Jack plate and a 150hp with 2-PP blades. Seen it on Instagram

17. Member
    John cox pt18 150hp, dual blades, Jack plate. Crestliner

18. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by drtyrat30 View Post
    Yeah that new 18' crestliner Jon Cox is going to run at the FLW is a mean machine. Jack plate and a 150hp with 2-PP blades. Seen it on Instagram
    The Crestliner warranty specifically mentions jackplates and power poles as voiding the warranty - #17 at https://www.crestliner.com/pdf/warra...r-warranty.pdf
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

How much more could it possibly cost to upside the transom material .025" to make it more durable? Couldn't imagine it being over 2 or 3 hundred dollars additional cost added to the customer. I think 99% would gladly pay it for a more durable transom and less restrictions on accessories. It just seems ludicrous to me!

20. Member
    How much can it cost to fix a crack in the hule or transom if a person just said screw the warranty and ran what they want? Few hundred dollars at a metal fab shop tig welding up aluminum.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast