Mercury XR6 Cooling System

I am looking at a Ranger boat with the Mercury XR6 engine which has a total of about 20 hrs time. After cold starting, there is not a stream of water coming from the discharge just below the power head immediately but starts after it runs for a minute or three. I can feel slight air pressure when I place my finger over the hole but it does continue after the short warming period. Just wondering if this is a normal condition or something that needs attention. Thanks in advance for your input.k
    Last edited by David g; 07-30-2017 at 01:26 PM.

2. Member
    I believe that motor the pee hole is after the thermostats, will not pee until it warms up, 30sec to 2minutes.

3. Member
    It has to warm up before thermostats open up, just curious, how did you verify it only has 20 hours on it.

4. Member
    Thanks for the info. I just wanted to be sure.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cmscoach View Post
    It has to warm up before thermostats open up, just curious, how did you verify it only has 20 hours on it.
    Wondering the same myself, bore scope might show hatch line on the cylinder walls. What color are the spark plugs, if there painted black then they might be the originals from when the block was painted at the factory.

I would not put your hand anywhere near the pee hole because when the thermostat does open you will know it.

1 to 3 minutes sounds about right.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Depends on the engine serial number- some VERY late models (with CDM ignition) had an Ignition Control Module that recorded hours.

Other than that... it's a gauge that may or may not be accurate.

Engine must come up to temp for telltale to be present (comes from thermostats).

All items in the below link apply- except for CDS Printouts:

Checkout Recommendations for a Used Engine

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    My merc man told me thermostats open before you see it pee