Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Holes in the hull

Over the years I've heard, mostly from people who've never owned one and usually second hand, that Allison's hulls are thin and get holes poked in them. Has anyone seen this first hand? I fish Texas lakes and have hit stumps so hard I thought it was going to tear the bottom out of it but so far nothing. Just wondering if there is something to it.
    __________________________________________________ __________________
    1999 Allison w/01 200 Pro Max
    2000 Dodge w/Cummins

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dspencer View Post
    Over the years I've heard, mostly from people who've never owned one and usually second hand, that Allison's hulls are thin and get holes poked in them. Has anyone seen this first hand? I fish Texas lakes and have hit stumps so hard I thought it was going to tear the bottom out of it but so far nothing. Just wondering if there is something to it.
    Nothing to it.

3. Member
    When I ordered my 03 in 2000 there was a option on the order sheet for a heavy lay up hull. Dealer said it was for stumpy lakes like Fork, I don't remember the cost and weight but I don't think he had ever ordered one.

4. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    I've never heard of anyone "poking" a hole in their Allison hull. Walk around your boat and give it a shot with your fist in different areas and it is as solid a hull as you will find on any new bass boat of today. I've done this out of curiosity and it will hurt your hand. I have not found any flex in the hull anywhere.

I was at one of the earlier rallies that I attended in around 2012 and while at the factory bullshitting with Darryl (the best fiberglass guy around) showed me a boat that came in on a trade to one of the dealers and this boat was in need of some repair. He said this guy usually trades in every few years, lives in Florida and just beats the living crap out of his boat, runs it up on rocks and whatever then trades it in and does it all over again.

Darryl said it takes a beating and needs cosmetic work to the hull for chips and such but never a puncture wound. And after listening to Darryl telling me about what his guy does if there were ever any holes punched through it would have been from a major trauma.
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

Yep, a fella I know called mine a potato chip hull.........lol I just think to myself people say stupid things because they just don't know any better.

Quote Originally Posted by K-DAWG View Post
    Yep, a fella I know called mine a potato chip hull.........lol I just think to myself people say stupid things because they just don't know any better.

I get this all the time ... I just laugh .. and Say this is a fast chip..

fast and rides better than anything you set your but in
    xb-21 prosport 225 pro xs

8. Member
    Haha, yes I heard this type of nonsense from some at a tournament I fished last night, it just makes me smile!!! 1, cuz I'm the guy with the sweet ass Allison and loud promax ;) and 2 cuz It's even better when u throw a sack on the scales and they go not only does that "chip" move, it catches em too!!! Cmon! Lol love my Allsion!!

9. BBC SPONSOR
    Heard it for years, the go fast boats are thin junk!
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

My 1989 XB2002 was solid as a rock and it used in shallow stumps a lot. If it didn't have a hole in it , you can't damage one. A buddy of mine wrecked a 1988 in 1996. He stuck it 6feet deep in the bank. All it did was split the top cap and hull back about 10". Other than that no other damage. $2000.00 later the boat was fixed correctly. It was then raced in the odba for 5-6 years. Last I heard it's a family fishing boat in Louisiana. They are a very solid boat. The only hole I've seen in the bottom of any allison is the one my buddy bought where the previous owner drilled thru it mounting a jackplate.
    Allison XB21 2+2 with Mercury 300R

11. Member
    The hulls are durable and the best in my opinion. I was running with a friend a long time ago 40 mph winds and 3 plus ft waves with a few 4's occasionally. Seems like no biggie right but waves were thick at the base and crest and spread further apart and several bass hulls took a beating on the long ride. A brand new nitro had a rip length ways. a couple stratos and rangers were spider-webbed. The xb2003 we were in, well I was in blown away not a thing wrong.

I once got to see a photo (i think it was taken in Florida) showed a 2003 way up in a tree lol... but he apparently hit the bank fist or dike. They got it out of the tree and got it running again. The boat is built extremely well. Any hull can take a puncture. Seen it on a couple skeeters in person. The angle of impact and force can be a bad mix. I have been in a few Allisons and one of them did hit a series of stumps we got out and checked it out and nothing. Can it happen sure lol... That boat is unitized constructed, not laid together like a sandwhich and sprayed with chop glass. You got a good boat man. Just take care it.

I beat on a '92 03 XS hull hard for over a decade with lots of weight in it and generally in big water at times. I dipped it a few times in swells caught in storms and high wind and I did get a spider runner under near the nose about 3 inches long which was just cosmetic. The hulls are tough as nails and there is no way I would consider another brand short of it being a new Tin boat.

I ordered this Allison in 2005.
    I'm on the third motor -- second set of seat covers -- third carpet job-- total trailer rebuild, including springs (the holes in the equalizers were egg shaped).
    Third or fourth trolling motor-- lost count of the batteries-- put a wrap on her two years ago to cover some war wounds..
    As far as the hull goes. this one has been to hell and back several times -- You can't tear one of these up..

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    I ordered this Allison in 2005.
    I'm on the third motor -- second set of seat covers -- third carpet job-- total trailer rebuild, including springs (the holes in the equalizers were egg shaped).
    Third or fourth trolling motor-- lost count of the batteries-- put a wrap on her two years ago to cover some war wounds..
    As far as the hull goes. this one has been to hell and back several times -- You can't tear one of these up..

Yeah, then fill your live well,add 3 passengers, an ice chest and still spank him. So many think that all a hull has to be is light to be fast. You're right, not many know how different the bottom is on the A hull.

16. BBC SPONSOR
    Had a Ranger owner tell me this past weekend at weigh-in that he knew 2 guys with Allison's and they couldn't keep them together "they just keep coming apart.

He failed to mention that his Ranger had been back to Ranger for a transom replacement.....
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Powell View Post
    Had a Ranger owner tell me this past weekend at weigh-in that he knew 2 guys with Allison's and they couldn't keep them together "they just keep coming apart.

He failed to mention that his Ranger had been back to Ranger for a transom replacement.....

Who? It's not like we wouldn't hear about it lol

Bought my first Allison in 1999 ---- could write a book on all the bull-chit I've been told..
    99% of it starts the same way-- "I know a guy who--"

19. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    Bought my first Allison in 1999 ---- could write a book on all the bull-chit I've been told..
    99% of it starts the same way-- "I know a guy who--"
    Exactly....ive heard it for years with Bullets. The funny thing is I passed another Ranger owner on Saturday in some pretty rough water headed back to weigh-in...once loaded up he walked over and said man, it looked like you were riding smooth when you passed me in that rough water, I said yeah...i backed it down to 80
    Fastbass Marine LLC

2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Powell View Post
    Exactly....ive heard it for years with Bullets. The funny thing is I passed another Ranger owner on Saturday in some pretty rough water headed back to weigh-in...once loaded up he walked over and said man, it looked like you were riding smooth when you passed me in that rough water, I said yeah...i backed it down to 80

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast