Ultrex circuit breaker amps

The Ultrex 112 manual recommends a 60 amp breaker. My boat (I assume like most late model boats) has a 50 amp breaker for the TM. I've talked to several Ultrex owners and many are still using their 50 amp breaker with no issues. How important is it to upgrade from 50 to 60? Thanks!

2. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    Not a good comparison with what value of breaker others get by with if they are running in a different climate with different temps. Some breakers actual trip points are very temp dependent.

May be stressful to operate a breaker long term essentially at its tripping point.
    Last edited by Lou r Pitcher; 07-30-2017 at 04:53 PM.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou r Pitcher View Post
    Not a good comparison with what value of breaker others get by with if they are running in a different climate with different temps. Some breakers actual trip points are very temp dependent.

May be stressful to operate a breaker long term essentially at its tripping point.
    Agree.....I have concluded I will upgrade to 60 for the peace of mind if nothing else.

4. Member
    I upgraded mine.....not worth the headache or risk.
    2012 Z521, Yamaha 250 SHO
    SOLD-1998 Ranger 519DVS, Mercury 225 EFI
    Semper Fi

5. Banned
    swapping my 50 for a 60. being installed today

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sugelle View Post
    I upgraded mine.....not worth the headache or risk.

7. Member
    Fifty is on the bubble of being big enough and will work for most people that don't run on high. However, high speed the 36V will draw in excess of 50A
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

8. Member
    Question- have a factory Nitro 882 with dual 50 amp breakers for 24V system (50A breaker separate for ea battery). Currently running 80lb Fortrex and have had no trip issues. Considering upgrade to Ultrex 80LB.... do I need to change breaker to 60 amp? From what I have seen, the MK 60A breaker protects as "single" battery in series. Is single breaker good as/better than breaker on ea battery?

9. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CHTXK View Post
    Question- have a factory Nitro 882 with dual 50 amp breakers for 24V system (50A breaker separate for ea battery). Currently running 80lb Fortrex and have had no trip issues. Considering upgrade to Ultrex 80LB.... do I need to change breaker to 60 amp? From what I have seen, the MK 60A breaker protects as "single" battery in series. Is single breaker good as/better than breaker on ea battery?
    The breaker is primarily there for the wires, but it needs to be big enough to handle the motor. Wind, current, boat weight and temperature can all affect the current drawn by the motor and breaker tripping issues. There needs to be a breaker in each current path to the front. That generally means one breaker for each positive wire that runs to the front. The breaker needs to be sized for the wire that is there. MK recommends the 60A breaker for their 80lb thrust motors. With that size boat, you can probably get by with 8AWG, but that depends on how you are wired. Probably your best option will be to stop using one of the positive wires and go with a straight two wire setup with a single 60A breaker and a jumper at the batteries. Check your plug up front for a jumper there to be sure you have things wired right.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​