Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

So I want to learn to ride a motorcycle.

I have ridden a dirt bike a little but would like to learn to ride a street bike. I am thinking of a dual sport to learn on and see if I like it. Then later move to a Harley of some sort. Thoughts?

2. Member
    Always select a mtorcycle with slightly less speed than your brain. If you have a 90 MPH mind, get an 80 MPH motorcycle, you'll have a better chance to survive.

3. Member
    Take this course, repeat, TAKE THIS COURSE

https://www.msf-usa.org/

4. Member
    I agree. Take a course offered in your area. But once you hit the streets just remember to ride as if everyone in a car or truck is trying to kill you and you may survive. Dirt biking is so much safe it's crazy. Only thing close to riding a motorcycle is running your boat down the lake or river.

5. Kansas Bass Club Moderator
    Stick with a nice dual sport. I think it would be a lot more versatile and way more fun!

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by csurp View Post

THIS. THIS. THIS. THIS. THIS. THIS. THIS. THIS. THIS.

7. Skeeter Boats/Missouri Club Moderator Rodney Bledsoe's Avatar
    I was off of a motorcycle for around 25 years, wanted to get back on but was intimidated, took a 2 day training course. Here in Missouri the DMV recognized the training course so all I had to do was pass a written test.

8. Member
    Thanks, I be starting on a dual sport and go from there

TAKE THE MSF COURSE!!!!

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nmanley View Post
    I agree. Take a course offered in your area. But once you hit the streets just remember to ride as if everyone in a car or truck is trying to kill you and you may survive. Dirt biking is so much safe it's crazy. Only thing close to riding a motorcycle is running your boat down the lake or river.
    Listen to this man, he will save your life. If you watch every car and constantly imagine the way they could stupidly, or purposely, kill you, you may live. You cover the brakes whenever there is a car that could be turning left. They don't see you. Have an escape route ready and, when you reach the point of no return, hit the throttle and get out of the danger zone. Actually learn to ride. I have met about 5 motorcycle riders who ACTUALLY knew what turns a motorcycle. It isn't leaning. There was a champion road racer in the 60s who rode straight up. At speed, a motorcycle turns because then handlebars are turned, (often without the leaning rider knowing), the WRONG way! That is the reason so many turn right into an accident. because years of learning the proper reaction is to turn the wheel of a car the right way. (I've also had maybe one rider believe me and try it. You don't have to yank the bars, just lightly push the side you want to turn towards. Most "riders" are too afraid of the machine to even try.)
    Want to ride like the very best? (Motor patrol.) This is how to learn to ride like a police rodeo. If you haven't seen one, go have your mind blown. Here's the place to get the videos and lessons, http://ridelikeapronj.com/
    Motorcycle riding IS fantastic, but stupidity has a serious price.
    Enjoy! Whatta blast.

Quote Originally Posted by csurp View Post

Again, THIS. Fome someone who has been on 2 wheel his whole life, including instructing in a few different capacities/disciplines.

Also, go to a big empty parking lot and do braking and turning drills. The idea is get familiar with your bike and its capabilities. You should be able to ride it without thinking at all about what your hands and feet are doing, what you are controlling, it should all be second nature so that your focus can be on the road ahead of you, scanning for potential issues.

Remember it doesnt matter how much horsepower/performance a bike has, it will only go as fast as you tell it to, ride within your abilities and comfort level.

Lastly, gear... wear it.
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

Yep for the MSF course. I had to take it to be able to ride on base when I was in the military and I took it again after a 7 year break in between bikes. Wonderful course.

Tom

13. Member
    Thanks

So did you ever go take a course or buy a bike ?

15. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    Always select a mtorcycle with slightly less speed than your brain. If you have a 90 MPH mind, get an 80 MPH motorcycle, you'll have a better chance to survive.
    thats good advice.

16. Member
    I have been riding street bikes for 27 years. I got my motorcycle license the same day I received my drivers license when I was 17. I love it but....... as I tell anyone who is looking to get a motorcycle license, DONT! As I said I love it and its a nice escape from reality but with the drivers these days with cell phones and all of the other distractions it makes it extremely dangerous! Especially for someone with no experience. My advise would be pass, especially if you have a family. But if you decide not to the best advise is what was described above.Take the safety course! It is the best thing any new motorcycle rider can do. I would even recommend it to an average rider for a refresher course! good luck and ride safe!

17. Member
    I haven't taken a course but did end up with a cheap China dual sport. Just using it off road currently

18. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    Go take the class and don't live scared. Everyone is going to die and if you believe in God, then you know that he has already predetermined the time and place of your death. There is nothing you can do to stop it. Just go live.

19. Member
    deleted
    Last edited by csurp; 03-15-2018 at 10:53 AM.

20. Member
    edited

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast