Alternator problem

Hi, I have a 250XS 2005 with serial no 1E001254. Have to change the alternator three times this year. When the engine is off the SM shows 12.4 V and when its on it shows 11,4V. I took the alternators to two different deales and they all said they were broken. I have had a lot of optimax outboards but never have to change the alternator before. Any suggestions why my Opti is eating alternators?

Patrik
    Last edited by The Swede; 07-30-2017 at 04:43 AM.

2. Member
    What kind of battery do you have?

3. Banned
    Broken meaning the housing was broken or broken as in internal failure.

Its a Exide Dual AGM EP 650 775A (EN)

The battery is brand new, its not one of the recommend but could my battery cause damage on the alternator?

I have also also moved the battery from the back to the front and therefore extend the batt cables with about 8 feet.

Thanks. Patrik
    Last edited by The Swede; 07-30-2017 at 12:16 PM.

5. Banned
    I don't see any good nominally 12 volt battery harming an alternator. The battery is the listener/receiver. The alternator is the talker/provider.

All the alternator knows to do is to output electrical power. Based on what is needed by the motor and a bit to keep the battery topped off. It makes what power is needed, if and as needed.

Do you have a clamp on ammeter so as to measure the output current from the alternator? Something untoward may be causing the alternator to work overly hard resulting in an excessive temperature. High temperatures can kill the diodes within the alternator.

The alternator is designed to output much more power than is normally needed. If kept cooled they can be made to run for long periods of time even when providing their maximum output. Something is wrong with so many of yours failing.

Are all electrical connections clean and secure?

What specifically is found to be the problem with the failed alternators?