Thread: Hull Hook

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    I've had over a dozen bassboats over the years and only one of them had a hydraulic jackplate. No way would I ever pay 1200 extra to have one. Didn't benefit me.

2. Member
    But that was a silly comment.
    BMCD, I will give you that one. I am frustrated and I probably should have just kept that one to myself.

What in your opinion makes the Nitro last in it's class for fit and finish.
    Flippin, I based that statement on what I saw in the last few days comparing the base model boats that are in the same class as the Z7. You are correct, I am hating Nitro right now. I know they are following their policies, which I also understand are the same or very similar to just about every other manufacturer. My point is, this is a major manufacturers defect. It also appears to be a fairly widespread problem in these boats. If it is, why do they not step up and own it? As far as the previous owners of this boat, I have said it before and I will say it again, I think they new they had a problem but I don't think they knew what it was. This boat stayed in the same town it was bought new in. If the first owner took it back to have it looked at by the dealer (I don't know if he did) and they didn't fix it, that's a problem. I would like to know how many Nitro dealers know what the symptoms are and what to look for. While I was typing this I thought about asking for maintenance records on my boat. Called the dealer and unfortunately they do not have anything older than 2 1/2 years ago when they bought this dealership.

I would like to know if this problem has shown itself in other brands, and if so, how often. I did see today where a guy was parting out his Triton before it went back to be crushed for some reason.
    2011 Nitro Z7
    150 Mercury Optimax

3. Member
    If you own a boat that is supposed to do around 60 mph by spec and it wont do 40 it's not too hard to figure out there is a problem. As far as test driving it goes just about any smart phone will tell you how fast you are going. Anyone that has driven a high performance boat should have a basic feel for how a boat is performing. You got had by the previous owners of your boat, not nitro. Nitro, just like any company can't fix a problem they don't know about. There were many boats made the same year as yours that are just fine and all of the defective ones that they knew of would have been fixed as per the warranty. Your problem is not with nitro
    2020 Nitro Z20 250 Pro XS

4. Member
    i work for a company that builds helicopters. we recently found out some of our blades were sent out and flying on ships( thats what we call them) that may have not passed safety stress tests because tests were performed by a third party vendor. guess what? we are replacing ALL blades at no cost to the current owners. if nitro knows they sold a defective product i don't give a damn if its the 10th owner, they should make it right. crazy thing is i almost bought a z21 last month, stuff like this is PARTLY the reason i didn't.

they have EARNED their REPUTATION!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Member
    Earned their reputation? Nice. So Ranger owns the hull blister reputation and Triton owns the bad top cap reputation? I have a buddy who is going to have to have his entire top deck replaced on his Triton due to delamination. His lids won't close anymore on his front deck. Seriously ever boat manufacturer out there has issue. Fiberglass NEVER completely cures....it moves, is affected by heat and humidity and various other factors. Every boat manufacturer does everything in their power from design through manufacturing to ensure that they are building a quality product to deliver to the public. If they were forced to deal with every problem outside of their written policies.....how would any of them survive?

So can't fish....tell me that your company is not going to make the third party vendor responsible for the extra work that they have caused your company. And shame on your company for not being thorough and doing their diligence to make sure they were delivering a quality product? I am certain that Nitro did NOT know they sold a "defective" product.....the same as your company.

6. Member
    can't fish, big difference, your helicopter blades are obviously a major safety issue if they are not passing safety tests. The same thing happens it the automotive world, if it is a safety issue they will issue a recall but otherwise if the car/truck is out of warranty it is up to the individual to pay for the repair. Car companies know they have issues, they even issue a TSB (technical service bulletin) on how to fix the issue but they don't pay for the repair. The boat is out of warranty, it sucks, but that is part of buying a used boat. You have to do your due diligence and be an informed buyer, especially on purchases this expensive.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by can't fish View Post
    i work for a company that builds helicopters. we recently found out some of our blades were sent out and flying on ships( thats what we call them) that may have not passed safety stress tests because tests were performed by a third party vendor. guess what? we are replacing ALL blades at no cost to the current owners. if nitro knows they sold a defective product i don't give a damn if its the 10th owner, they should make it right. crazy thing is i almost bought a z21 last month, stuff like this is PARTLY the reason i didn't.

they have EARNED their REPUTATION!!!!!!!!!!!
    You are comparing helicopter blades warranty to boat hulls warranty NOW (Specifically Nitro, Hulls)!!!!! LOL

Good luck with your Skeeter.
    Read your hull warranty closely!
    https://skeeterboats.com/About-Skeet...ntent=warranty

I have giving up arguing the point, typical Ford vs. Chevy vs. Dodge vs. Whatever Debate. Not worth it anymore!!!!

I would choose Nitro Again for sure!!!!

Like you with Nitro, I would not buy a skeeter with all the problems I have heard about!

The thing is, I bet your Skeeter will be a great boat, just like the all the people I personally know that have Nitro's are happy. We only hear about the bad issues.
    Last edited by moetorola; 08-28-2017 at 03:16 PM.

8. Member
    While I understand what the "warranty" says. I understand some of these 3rd owners are SOL. But what I can't understand is why BPS draws a line in the sand, over the phone, without even looking at these boats. They know they had an issue with them. At least inspect the boat and if there is any question it is not their fault they can then decline fixing the issue. These are not 20 year old boats and BPS should use common sense and look at them on a boat by boat situation. A nice garage kept, hardly used 6 year old boat should not "hook" by itself. BPS can afford to take care of these issues or worse case for the ones that are not covered by warranty under 10 years old have a good trade in program for them. At least a well written letter explaining the issues and why it is not covered would be a step in the right direction. Repairing or replacing boats that have these issues, and the issues cause major performance issues would be a nice PR program for their customer support department. The mark of a great company is how they go above and beyond what they have to for their customers satisfaction. They are missing a golden opportunity to cement customers for life.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by moetorola View Post
    You are comparing helicopter blades warranty to boat hulls warranty NOW (Specifically Nitro, Hulls)!!!!! LOL

Good luck with your Skeeter.
    Read your hull warranty closely!
    https://skeeterboats.com/About-Skeet...ntent=warranty

I have giving up arguing the point, typical Ford vs. Chevy vs. Dodge vs. Whatever Debate. Not worth it anymore!!!!

I would choose Nitro Again for sure!!!!

Like you with Nitro, I would not buy a skeeter with all the problems I have heard about!

The thing is, I bet your Skeeter will be a great boat, just like the all the people I personally know that have Nitro's are happy. We only hear about the bad issues.
    the folks that bought and paid for those nitros deserve the same consideration after the sale as our helicopter buyers. plain and simple! i understand that the boat is not warranted forever. but if a certain percentage of nitro owners are complaining about the same issues then that sounds like a manufacturer defect to me. every manufacturer has defects from time to time, but the good ones go above and beyond to take care of their customers. i looked hard at nitro before buying another brand. (which you seem to have already did your detective work to find out) i looked at a 2017 z21 loaded out at 59k before taxes and before any extended warranty on motor. add another 3k for 3 more years of warranty on the merc and it would have been over 62k before financing.( and don't forget the nitro no haggle price policy which doesn't allow buyers to negotiate pricing) long story short i negotiated the same options on mine and saved a sizable amount of cash. im personally not a hater of nitro. i think they have one of the better looking boats out. but they have too many upset owners after the sale!

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by can't fish View Post
    the folks that bought and paid for those nitros deserve the same consideration after the sale as our helicopter buyers. plain and simple! i understand that the boat is not warranted forever. but if a certain percentage of nitro owners are complaining about the same issues then that sounds like a manufacturer defect to me. every manufacturer has defects from time to time, but the good ones go above and beyond to take care of their customers. i looked hard at nitro before buying another brand. (which you seem to have already did your detective work to find out) i looked at a 2017 z21 loaded out at 59k before taxes and before any extended warranty on motor. add another 3k for 3 more years of warranty on the merc and it would have been over 62k before financing.( and don't forget the nitro no haggle price policy which doesn't allow buyers to negotiate pricing) long story short i negotiated the same options on mine and saved a sizable amount of cash. im personally not a hater of nitro. i think they have one of the better looking boats out. but they have too many upset owners after the sale!

What is the percentage of owners complaining about the hull hook issue? We have 3 I believe here, we are not even talking about .01%. Nitro would have gone above and beyond for the first 2 owners, at some point some personal responsibility needs to come into play. Buying a boat as the 3rd owner and not noticing the serious lack of performance and still purchasing the boat, and then expecting the manufacturer to bail them out is unreasonable. Don't get me wrong, I feel bad for the owners, but buyer beware. as far as no haggle, I haggled 4K off my nitro.

11. Member
    So at what percentage point should a manufacture do this program you recomend?

12. Member
    Well it looks like my 2013 Z7 is a victim of the infamous hull hook. Dropped the boat off at the dealer on Monday. He found the problem, took pictures, and contacted Nitro about his findings. The good news is Nitro contacted my dealer today, and told him to prepare the boat for shipping. Mine will be headed back to Nitro very soon. Now the wait begins!

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by willpage77 View Post
    Well it looks like my 2013 Z7 is a victim of the infamous hull hook. Dropped the boat off at the dealer on Monday. He found the problem, took pictures, and contacted Nitro about his findings. The good news is Nitro contacted my dealer today, and told him to prepare the boat for shipping. Mine will be headed back to Nitro very soon. Now the wait begins!
    I'll be sending mine at the end of the month...My dealer did the same..Thanks to the guys at Great Outdoors in Lavaette WV

And the story continues. My friends 2012 Z7 with a 150pro XS 4700rpm 46mph.

thumbnail_20200624_184704.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    Basscat. Unlimited owners, lifetime hull. Nitro only does first two owners.
    LOL, well I guess technically your correct, one is a number. Bottom line is over half of these guys that scream that their boat is the best and Nitro is junk, have no idea just how equal their warranty really is.
    Craig
    USMC Retired
    2019 Nitro Z18 w/Dual Consoles
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS

Psalm 29:3 The voice of the Lord is upon the waters: the God of glory thundereth: the Lord is upon many waters.

16. Member
    SuperBee...I genuinely hope that Nitro takes care of your hooked hull issue.

The claim that the Bass Cat warranty is for life is true...but you better be buying it from an authorized Bass Cat dealer. And there is a chance that the warranty will be prorated depending on model and condition.

17. Member
    I am just learning of all these problems with hooked hulls and believe I have one too can anybody tell me of their success getting replacement and how they went about it? I believe I will be contacting them soon my boat will not go over 5k rpm and 50 mph no matter what prop I put on it. Hoping to get some insight before I start the process just to know what to expect from them. I have a 2013 z7 with a 150 mercury pro Xs and am the original owner.

18. Member
    I had mine replaced this year. I have a 2013 Z7. I contacted my dealer and brought it to them. They looked at it and said yes it is hooked, but they had to go through Nitro's protocol. The whole process took around 3 months.
    I got it back and it runs great. Other than the amount of time it took the only complaint was they scuffed up my top cap a bit. I was able to buff out most of the scuffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronroscoe64 View Post
    I am just learning of all these problems with hooked hulls and believe I have one too can anybody tell me of their success getting replacement and how they went about it? I believe I will be contacting them soon my boat will not go over 5k rpm and 50 mph no matter what prop I put on it. Hoping to get some insight before I start the process just to know what to expect from them. I have a 2013 z7 with a 150 mercury pro Xs and am the original owner.
    "All these hooked hulls " aka the 20 of the last 30k boats made. 3000 boats a year and 10 years...
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

20. Member
    Boats dont need hydraulic jack plates, only boat owners do

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast