Thread: Hull Hook

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    I went home and crawled around under the boat yesterday and there did seem to be a gap between the bunk board and the hull on the starboard side inside bunk, about 1/3 of the way from rear to front. Not sure if its a hook or not, but have decided to try to get it checked out if I can find somewhere close that will look at it properly. The thing that stood out that I did notice, is at the rear edge of the boat to the side of the pad. It looks like the rear edge has a lip. It could be like this intentionally, I don't know.

Yes there is intentional lip on the out side corners for planning. Many boats have this, actually feels like a curve in the hull. Idea is this should be somewhat out of the water when running.

I don't remember on the Nitro, but some of the chines will be "turned" into the hull. This provides lift.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

Quote Originally Posted by Brewerbass View Post
    Pretty sure that no other boat manufacturer would warranty your boat if you were not the original owner or had not had the warranty properly transferred. Its not just a Nitro thing.
    There are a number of boat makers that have lifetime hull warranty no matter which owner you are. I had an issue with them years ago and turned me off on Nitro.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    There are a number of boat makers that have lifetime hull warranty no matter which owner you are. I had an issue with them years ago and turned me off on Nitro.
    Which ones?

Only one I know of, but I sure would like to hear the others. Because most warranties read just like the Nitro warranty.
    Last edited by BMCD; 08-17-2017 at 08:43 AM.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbassman View Post
    They replaced my 2014 Z-7 with a 2017 Z-18 hull. They removed my motor and all equipment and put it on the new hull.
    That would make me a happy man....

Basscat. Unlimited owners, lifetime hull. Nitro only does first two owners.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

And so do most others.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by edrife View Post
    That would make me a happy man....
    They made it right. Tracker came through for me.
    2001 Champion 206, Yamaha 250 V-Max hpdi
    1997 Nitro Savage 884, Mercury150 XR6, 8" Slidemaster Jack Plate

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    Basscat. Unlimited owners, lifetime hull. Nitro only does first two owners.
    As does skeeter, phoenix, ranger, triton, blazer. Any other major brands that are different?
    2020 Nitro Z20 250 Pro XS

This seems to be an ongoing problem with several owners having an issue. Why is nitro not standing behind their mistake?

Mass produced hulls ($$$ made on quantity over quality) so hulls are popped out of the mold ASAP, often before fully cured, is a recipe for sagging, hook forming hulls (p.s. - this is speculation, I dont know their time frame for removing a hull, but do know other companies wont remove one until a certain amount of time has passed)

Nitro SHOULD replace them, but prob wont be easy to get them to do that for all of them that have even a little hook
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

13. Member
    This seems to be an ongoing problem with several owners having an issue. Why is nitro not standing behind their mistake?
    It appears to me that it is a bigger problem than a lot of people know. Based on some of the comments on this thread, some people are just finding out what this looks like and means. I called Nitro 3 times and they have no desire to make my boat right. Not there problem anymore, yet it was their material and process that did it.

Nitro SHOULD replace them, but prob wont be easy to get them to do that for all of them that have even a little hook
    J Risco, not sure if you have seen any of my previous comments. I have a 2011 Z7 that will do 38 mph at 5000 rpm. It feels like it is trying to stuff the bow into the water in front of the boat. Pretty much useless in a tournament trying to get someplace before anyone else. NITRO SAYS, not my problem.
    2011 Nitro Z7
    150 Mercury Optimax

Quote Originally Posted by muley1o View Post
    J Risco, not sure if you have seen any of my previous comments. I have a 2011 Z7 that will do 38 mph at 5000 rpm. It feels like it is trying to stuff the bow into the water in front of the boat. Pretty much useless in a tournament trying to get someplace before anyone else. NITRO SAYS, not my problem.
    I have and that really sucks!!! If you sell you are going to take a hit (assuming you are an honest guy). I would post on any social media that they will see. Maybe pay to get it fixed then sell, might not lose as much that way?!... Either way, for the way they treated you I would sell and never own another again! Good luck, hope you get something worked out!
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

15. Banned
    [QUOTE=muley1o;8669763]It appears to me that it is a bigger problem than a lot of people know. Based on some of the comments on this thread, some people are just finding out what this looks like and means. I called Nitro 3 times and they have no desire to make my boat right. Not there problem anymore, yet it was their material and process that did it.

Y'all that are finding a defective hull should partner up and then go after a fix; Power in numbers..

16. Member
    muley1o, what kind of speeds/rpm's did you see when you bought the boat? How old was it when the problem started to show? Curious for my own knowledge.

17. Member
    basscat are hand made and the only one to lifetime them. I believe everyone has the same or similar to nitro. Shit happens to all brands, there are just more nitros made.....
    2010 NITRO Z7

18. Member
    muley1o, what kind of speeds/rpm's did you see when you bought the boat? How old was it when the problem started to show?
    When I test drove the boat we ere the only one on the water and the speedometer was not working. I had no idea how fast or slow we were going. When I got the speedo working I didn't believe what it said until I got some new electronics with GPS. That was when I knew how slow it was going. I still didn't know why until a kind gentleman clued me in on what to look for. That day is when I learned about hull hook and what it looks like. I am sure that both of the previous owners knew there was a problem with the boat, but I do not think that they knew what the problem was.

I do know one thing, while I am deciding on how I am going to deal with this, I have been comparing new boats in the Z7 class. Hands down the Nitro is last in its class for fit and finish. I was looking at a Z20 and Z21 Pro Model this past weekend and they didn't even have a hydraulic jack plate. I would love to take my boat to a Nitro dealer and trade it in so that Nitro would have to deal with it, the only thing is, I don't want another Nitro.
    2011 Nitro Z7
    150 Mercury Optimax

19. Member
    Most off the floor boats are not going to have a hydro plate.
    What in your opinion makes the Nitro last in it's class for fit and finish.

It sounds to me.....and I am in no way bashing you personally....but you are hating Nitro now because there was an oversight in your purchase. If the previous owners knew of this problem then shame on them. Warranty clearly states that hull warranty extends to the second owner and not beyond. I understand your frustration with Nitro and trying to get them to take care of the problem.....but they are following policies that are not new and have been in place for a long time.

Man have seen many boats without a hydro jack plate, good to know. Heck I opted to not have one, after owning 3 boats with a hydro plate.

We all understand your frustration, and feel for you. But that was a silly comment.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast