Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

About to order a new Eyra....thoughts on some 'must haves'

Alright I'm about to order my new 2018 Eyra this coming week and would like to see everyone's thoughts on 'must haves' based on your experience.
    Any and all input is appreciated !!!

Really unsure on a few items:
    1) Hydraulic jack plate ? Worth the extra $? Easy to find the sweet spot?
    2) 24v vs. 36v Ultrex
    3) Ipilot or Ipilot 'Link' ( what the difference other than an additional $500 ? )
    3) In dash or external mount for Helix 10" G2N. If external: what mounts? (Precision Sonar/BalZOut etc...)
    4) Front graph mount ( for Helix 10" G2N )

Thanks in advance !!!
    Last edited by FastCat04; 07-29-2017 at 11:17 AM.
    2020 BassCat Eyra w/Merc v8 Pro XS (2b685615)
    2008 Triton TR196 w/Merc200 (1B505505)
    2024 Havoc Alum Duck boat w/ Mod Mercury 3-cyl 2-stroke
    0T899507 w/1B728726 powerhead (sleeved/ported/welded chambers, mod carbs/tuner &light flywheel)
    Previously owned:
    2018 Eyra w/Merc250 (2b525704)
    2015 PII w/Merc200 (2b115304)
    Brooks tunnel w/Merc 200 carb & CLE l/u motor (A913415)

I had a 36v 101 Fortrex on my PII. My Cougar has a 24v MG 82. The 82 does fine but I have not had it in wind or current yet. The previous owner, swore up and down that it was plenty even on windy days. He uses North star grp 31 batteries that are beasts. That being said, I just ordered a 112 Fortrex for it. I have the room and the lithium batteries for a 36v so I figured ...why not.

My Cougar has an Atlas hydraulic JP while my PII did not. So far I like it. It is nice to be able to tweak the last mph or two out of it. If you are a guy that runs WOT everywhere, I would say get it. If you just cruise at 65 or so then I would get the manual JP. If you plan to fish really shallow lakes (the Big O), I think it would be of benefit too.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

3. Member
    The hydraulic jackplate is my favorite accessory I have added to my boat. Takes a lot of the trial and error for propping and makes it easier. Also love the ability to adjust for rough water riding. I love it.

Another item high on my list is the NMEA 2000 network which shares engine data with my GPS. I really enjoy having this data overlay on the screen as I navigate. Worth every cent.

I have an 80lb MinnKota on my Cougar and have never wanted a 36v on my boat. Don't need it here in Louisiana.

Another option I wish I had is an aluminum BC trailer along with the step pole.

Graphs are are very expensive and I just wish I had an 8" on console instead of 7".

The extra height added by a power pole really perturbs me. I would really wish it went no higher than my motor cowling. Also I don't have the budget to justify it. But if you do it's likely a good option, though a spotlock trolling motor may serve better.

4. Member
    I think anything bigger than an 24 volt 82 on the Eyra is overkill. The boat is incredibly light and responsive to the troller.

Absolute yes on the hydraulic JP. The Eyra needs it to tweak performance as weight distribution changes.

Have them drill holes and add drain gaskets in the two rear storage shelfs and in the sandwhich part of the cooler.

Add a master Power pole cut off switch at the console if you have power poles.

Consider having the TM foot pedal installed in the more rear position if this is your first Basscat. You'll like it better there.

5. Member
    Padded deck.
    Aluminum trailer possibly.
    Precision mount on console or some other external mount.
    Hydraulic jackplate.
    Hot foot.
    Back up lights on trailer.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blakesfav View Post
    I think anything bigger than an 24 volt 82 on the Eyra is overkill. The boat is incredibly light and responsive to the troller.

Absolute yes on the hydraulic JP. The Eyra needs it to tweak performance as weight distribution changes.

Have them drill holes and add drain gaskets in the two rear storage shelfs and in the sandwhich part of the cooler.

Add a master Power pole cut off switch at the console if you have power poles.

Consider having the TM foot pedal installed in the more rear position if this is your first Basscat. You'll like it better there.
    ALL THIS!
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

Pretty much what everyone else said; defintely a hydraulic jack plate. I prefer the external mount for my console Helix, forgot which mount I have but I'm going to eventually switch it out as I don't care for it too much. I have a 36 V Ultrex and like it, sure the 24V would be fine but I'd get the 36V again. I like my iPilot link, I use the contour following and some other features but whether it's worth the extra money is really up to the the owner I think. As far as the front Helix, I would not get the RAM mount. It's what I have and don't care for it that much. My Helix is the 12" and it will occasionally fall down or move in rough water. I like the padded front deck, for what little it costs I'd recommend it.

I have the dual removeable console and I'm very glad I got it. Easy to take out but I find myself keeping it in all of the time. I bought a used cover that was for a single console and the only time I take the console out is if I am traveling long distance and I put the cover on. Really just a personal preference I guess but I won't buy another boat without it. I like my stereo a lot also but of of course that adds quite bit to the price. It would probably be the first thing I'd delete if ordering new if I had to. Forgot to add, get the dual backup lights!
    Last edited by C130; 07-30-2017 at 10:14 AM.

Hydraulic Plate: handy, not necessary.
    Ultrex: 24 or 36 - really your preference on the Eyra.
    iPilot or Link: depends on if you fish ledges and banks where you want to follow transitions or stay on depth lines. Guntersville yes, Lake Martin not really necessary.
    Internal always as it's a clean install with easy viewing, unless you want dual units.
    Helix 10 MegaImaging DI and the factory in 2018 is moving to the new Wide DI transducer when available, which is not in our options list yet.

BCB

Alright I'm about to order my new 2018 Eyra this coming week and would like to see everyone's thoughts on 'must haves' based on your experience.
    Any and all input is appreciated !!!

1) Hydraulic jack plate ? Worth the extra $? Easy to find the sweet spot?
    2) 24v vs. 36v Ultrex
    3) Ipilot or Ipilot 'Link' ( what the difference other than an additional $500 ? )
    3) In dash or external mount for Helix 10" G2N. If external: what mounts? (Precision Sonar/BalZOut etc...)
    4) Front graph mount ( for Helix 10" G2N )

Thanks in advance !!!

9. Member
    For TM you have to look at where you fish. I have a MK 80 on my classic. I fish Lay Lake most of the time, and when Alabama Power cranks up all 6 turbines, current can exceed 1.5mph, add some rain so that water is going over the spillways and this can get close to 2mph (usually during the spring rainfests here). My boat will run just under 3mph wide open on my Maxxum Pro 80. So running up river (since fishing down river is moving pretty fast) gives me about 1.5mph of speed on max going up-river. Been fine so far. On "those days" where there is a significant wind out of the north, it gets a little hairier since that adds to down-river velocity, and hinders going up-river. I have seen it where I could "hover" at 100% power, not move an inch in either way. which makes it hard to fish on very rare occasions. For those occasions, I simply find ways to get out of the wind (since that makes the water a lot rougher as well) or even fish some of the river switchbacks where the river is flowing north rather than south, which effectively cancels the wind. But I'd say I have seen maybe 2-3 such days since the start of the year, so it is not a major consideration. I like the more economical 24v approach. Two batteries rather than three. 50-75 pounds less weight.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

10. Member
    1) Hydraulic jack plate ? Worth the extra $? Easy to find the sweet spot? Yes
    2) 24v vs. 36v Ultrex . Your call I have 24v on my puma still undecided when I order my ultrex.
    3) Ipilot or Ipilot 'Link' ( what the difference other than an additional $500 ? ) if your going humminbird I would do ipilot link.
    3) In dash or external mount for Helix 10" G2N. If external: what mounts? (Precision Sonar/BalZOut etc...) I had BBT on my skeeter my cat has in dash graph and I wish it was on another BBT mount.
    4) Front graph mount ( for Helix 10" G2N ) kong mount for sure.

Thanks in advance !!![/QUOTE]

11. Member
    I agree on the 24V for the Eyra. If you constantly fish heavy current, I might consider the 36V. My decision on the 24V isn't to save money as much as it is to simplify the setup and add more room for power pole pumps, etc in the life area. In most cases, I would prefer a 24v setup with 31s over a 36v with 27s. People tend to forget that with the 36v system, you are 50% more likely to have a battery go down due to failure, or charging problem that will put you out of service. I stay on the Coosa, and while I don't fish the tail races, it has never been under powered.

Sometjing else to to consider spending the money towards on the front end is a Lester charger. Most onboard chargers die due to vibration and moisture. My next boat will definitely have an exterior charging system.
    2015 Phoenix 819

12. Member
    I agree on the charger. My first boat was external. Pain in rear. My second boat was internal, convenient. UNTIL one bank dies. I was running a pretty expensive charger (started with dual-pro) and went through three before I said enough, time to go external. Current boat has the pro mariner + the separate 6m cranking charger BCB sells. Has worked fine for the first year I have owned it. If it dies, I am probably going to offload that and go external once again, NOT through the TM plug which I thought was a crock on my first boat.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

13. Member
    Great responses and ideas! Thank you all for that insight !!! I will be ordering my 2018 Eyra today !!!! Awesome new standard features too....New premium seats, trolling motor upgrade, graph upgrades, dual axle trailer brakes, USB power outlets, digital control panel, and several light upgrades including 'wake lights'..all standard !!!
    0T899507 w/1B728726 powerhead (sleeved/ported/welded chambers, mod carbs/tuner &light flywheel)
    Previously owned:

14. BBC SPONSOR
    And add the BBT mount system, check them out bassboattech.com We also just added a New Bow Pedestal mount, Single and Stack mounts.

15. Banned
    Ummm ultrex, ultrex, ultrex

16. Member
    Yep....it's ordered. 250 Pro XS, Atlas hydraulic jack plate, Helix 10" G2N MEGA, Ultrex 112, BCB 18" wheels, Kicker 10 stereo system, and an awesome color combination !!!! The wait begins....and I'm doing factory pick up and I can't wait to see the factory, process an the finished product !!!!
    Previously owned:

Quote Originally Posted by don delaney View Post
    Yep....it's ordered. 250 Pro XS, Atlas hydraulic jack plate, Helix 10" G2N MEGA, Ultrex 112, BCB 18" wheels, Kicker 10 stereo system, and an awesome color combination !!!! The wait begins....and I'm doing factory pick up and I can't wait to see the factory, process an the finished product !!!!
    Congratulations, going to be a super nice boat!

The only must have for me is a 300xs.

19. Member
    Trust me I wanted a 300, but my son fishes B.A.S.S. Highschool and we can't run anything bigger than a 250. :(
    Previously owned:

Saw a white and medium blue with a matching color 300hp G2, fully loaded Eyra at the owners tournament. That was the sharpest looking, jaw dropping boat I've ever seen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast