Pouring Jigs and Weights

I have a hot plate I use for keeping plastic liquid. Is a hot plate adequate for melting lead for pouring jigs and weights? I have not poured lead. I know I need molds, however what else would I need? I would pour them in my garage with the doors open and a fan (box) for ventilation.

Thanks

No it does not get hot enough. You will need to get a hot pet ladle or a bottom pour furnace.

3. Member
    You need the lead to get to 621 degrees to melt lead, I'm not sure a hot plate can get you there. I know a propane Coleman stove will melt lead in a small cast iron pot but it takes a long time and isn't efficient. If you don't want to spend money on a bottom pour furnace you can save a little bit and get either a Hot Pot 2 which is an electric ladle, or a LEE precision furnace for about the same price. Both hold 4lbs of lead, the Hot Pot 2 has pouring spouts but you are holding a lot of weight when pouring which can be difficult at times. The precision furnace would require you to get a small ladle for about $8 - $10 more but it is much easier to use, and both of those are much safer than trying to melt on a propane stove in a cast iron pot.

4. Member
    If you want to make jigs, I suggest you buy some pre poured unpainted heads from someone like Smalljaw67, buy you some skirts and give it a try. If you like it then move on to buying stuff. I say this because the initial outlay will be a couple of hundred bucks.