Outboard motor position when not in use

Hey everyone, are you supposed to leave your outboard motor trimmed up or down when not in use? Mine is in my driveway with the transom saver on it (so partly trimmed up). Should I trim it all the way down? Would that reduce stress on the transom or hydraulics? Or is it ok to leave it partially trimmed up resting on the transom saver? Thanks!!!

outside or inside. keep the motor down.

3. Member
    Mine is in my driveway also. After I park it, I remove the transom saver, loosen the transom straps, and loosen the winch strap. I do this 'cause I don't want constant stress on the boat. I also raise the trailer jack as high as it will go and open transom drain plug. I then trim the motor down to 1/2 inch or so from the pavement. I do this so any water will drain out of the boat & motor. I keep a factory Attwood cover on the boat except when I'm working on something.

4. Member
    Thanks everyone! Ya I keep it covered (mostly cuz the stray cats like to mess around in the boat at night) and also loosen all the straps but always left the motor up on the transom saver...going to fix this now!! Thanks again!!

5. Banned
    Just leave it on the transom saver.

6. Member
    Leave ours on transom saver except when it's going to sit over winter.

They say to leave it down and Don Weed recommends it also. When in the down position there is no pressure on the hydraulic system
    2000 520vx Ranger
    250 PRO XS
    SERIAL#2B115788/ 25P Fury 4/ 25P Fury 3 blade