What size 5th wheel?

I have a 2016 Chevy 2500 Duramax Diesel. What is the size limits I can handle with a 5th wheel?
    2009 Skeeter ZX 225
    2009 Yamaha 225 VMAXX

2. Banned
    I have a comparable F250 crew cab diesel with air bags on the rear and the heaviest suspension offered. I went with a Grand Design Reflection 36' bunk house model with 4 slides. It's considered a mid size trailer with a total dry weight of 11,000 and a king pin weight of 2,000. Loaded with all our stuff, I expect it weighs another 1K lbs. I am max'd out.

All the modern diesel pickups have the power to tow heavy trailers. But any single rear wheel truck's real limitation is in the king pin weight on the truck's bed.

Grand Design is making a number of fifth wheel trailers capable of being 3/4 ton truck towed--and even lightweight models properly equipped 1/2 ton trucks can tow.

I promise you that I'm not suffering by owning a mid size trailer. I really have no desire to haul a 15,000 lb. fifth wheel trailer--dually territory.

3. Member
    I've got a 03 2500 Duramax and pulled our 38' Heartland last weekend. I was nervous at 1st (1st time pulling it) but it did fine. I've heard you can go up to 40' with a 3/4 ton that is set up right.
    2001 ChampioN 206 Yamaha 225

4. Banned
    I have a F250 7.3 power stroke and tow a 35' Cardinal 5th wheel.Put some Firestone Airbags on when I bought camper have towed on flat land and the mountains of Colorado no problems .

5. Happiness is a Sporty! F150owner's Avatar
    I think the pin weight has the biggest influence. These diesels can tow some big loads, but the payload over that rear axle is the main factor in my opinion. What can you carry? Pin weight + plus other cargo? I went 1 ton single axle to get more payload. The nicer 5th wheels are going to have a heft pin weight.

6. Member
    I have a 42ft Open Range pulled by 17 F250 Pwr Stroke. Truck handles it well but the 5th wheel is just way to long. No need for such a huge trailer IMHO. I wish I never would have bought it. 35ft 5th would be much better. Think fuel mileage, wear and tear on the truck as well as limited camp ground options.

2 cents
    YJHAMMER 11
    Hollywood MD
    2019 Skeeter FX21LE

7. Member
    I actually preferred my 30' fifth wheel when I had it. Made it muh more manageable when I double towed. I never seen a reason for such a big camper as we only sleep in there. Even when it is raining we were outside under the awning unless the wind was to strong.

Not really a way to give this question a good answer. The weight of a 5th wheel, which is what matters most, can very greatly from model to model and from different manufacturers. You're owner's manual will give you the capacities of your truck. The RV maker will provide the weights of their products. You need do the research to determine which trailers you can and can not pull.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by F150owner View Post
    I think the pin weight has the biggeit towedt influence. These diesels can tow some big loads, but the payload over that rear axle is the main factor in my opinion. What can you carry? Pin weight + plus other cargo? I went 1 ton single axle to get more payload. The nicer 5th wheels are going to have a heft pin weight.
    I was towing my 346 flr Open Range with a 2012 2500 Duramax, with airbags,It towed very well, but I had the load capacity maxed out and a bit more, I did not want to be over the capacity and wanted more margin, so I got a 2015 Duramax Dually, now I feel better when out on the road far away from home, if anything were to happen due to the over loaded conditions I would have kicked myself in the ass.
    Nelson

10. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Just bought a 32 ft GD Reflection. Can't imagine needing anything bigger unless you want a toy hauler or bunkhouse. We had 5 people sitting in the living area last night, and it didn't feel crowded. The opposing slides give you so much space you don't need length. 9265 and 1460 pin weight empty.

A lot of people don't realize a diesel is generally rated for a lighter trailer than a gas engine because of max payload and GVWR. Generally close to 800lbs lighter due to the weight of the engine, and that's even allowing for a bigger fuel tank on the gasser. Not dissing the diesel at all. I'd have one if I was towing more, but right now the gasser makes more sense.

Consider an Andersen Ultimate hitch. Saves you a bunch of payload and you can truly carry it in one hand.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Just bought a 32 ft GD Reflection. Can't imagine needing anything bigger unless you want a toy hauler or bunkhouse. We had 5 people sitting in the living area last night, and it didn't feel crowded. The opposing slides give you so much space you don't need length. 9265 and 1460 pin weight empty.

A lot of people don't realize a diesel is generally rated for a lighter trailer than a gas engine because of max payload and GVWR. Generally close to 800lbs lighter due to the weight of the engine, and that's even allowing for a bigger fuel tank on the gasser. Not dissing the diesel at all. I'd have one if I was towing more, but right now the gasser makes more sense.

Consider an Andersen Ultimate hitch. Saves you a bunch of payload and you can truly carry it in one hand.
    The 3500 SRW trucks don't suffer with the diesel like the 2500's do. As far as the length goes my living room is the same as yours. Where mine is longer is I have a king size bed and a full size shower. This makes mine 42' over all length.

12. Kentucky Bass Club/Trailers & Towing Moderator
    King pin weight is the biggest killer going from srw to drw. Your tires are the limiting factor. I tow my 41 ft fifth wheel (3017 Prime Time Crusader 370bhq) with a 2010 Dodge 3500 Srw. I've done my homework including going to cat scales and weighing truck and trailer and getting true king pin weight. I'm within my limits and I feel safe with the set up. I put air bags on the rear only because I believe it helps with side to side movement in the rear of the truck.

Just my opinion but there hasn't been a half ton truck made yet that should be carrying a fifth wheel camper. Ultra light or not those trucks just aren't made for that.

What cab/bed and 2/4wd. Spec is in the back of the manual
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

You guys are worrying about the wrong thing. I pull a 38' Redwood with a Chevy 3500 4 door dually. It's not about pulling, it's about stopping. I wouldn't pull anything in a 5th wheel without it being dual wheel 1 ton. The smartest thing would be a 550 or 650 Ford of the big Kodiak Chevy. Pulled too many miles to listen to a RV salesman tell you yeah, it will pull it. Larry
    There’s no use being stupid if you’re not willing to show it off.

im using 2003 GMC duramax pulling a 33 ft. Cougar no problem here.

16. Member
    Where do you want to go? There are quite of few parks that limit the length of the trailer, and if they don't, the number of long slots will be limited. I like forest campgrounds in the middle of nowhere, it gets more interesting the longer the trailer.
    War Eagle Blackhawk 2170 - Suzuki 150, MG Xi5
    Lowrance HDS 7" & 9" - Twin Talon 12' Anchors

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by high 2 View Post
    You guys are worrying about the wrong thing. I pull a 38' Redwood with a Chevy 3500 4 door dually. It's not about pulling, it's about stopping. I wouldn't pull anything in a 5th wheel without it being dual wheel 1 ton. The smartest thing would be a 550 or 650 Ford of the big Kodiak Chevy. Pulled too many miles to listen to a RV salesman tell you yeah, it will pull it. Larry
    My SRW 3500 has the same brakes as a 3500 DRW that has the tow capacity of 30,000+lb. My trailer brakes stop my trailer.