Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Day fishing=Headache?

Hey folks, i feel like everytime i spend a day out fishing in the sun i come back with an headache the next morning... does that happen to any of you??
    I wear a hat, sunglasses,banadana... i drink... probably dont drink enough but i drink... I'm curious to see if im alone

Tips?
    Nitro z20 2021 with 250 Mercury Pro XS 4 stroke serial # 3B010400

It likely is dehydration. Any time you plan to go start increasing your fluids the day before. And push fluids on the boat too.

3. Banned
    Art- Are You on any medications that have a 'Sun Interaction' warning? Blood Pressure meds and cholesterol meds are real good for this..

Edit: https://www.goodrx.com/blog/avoid-th...e-these-drugs/

https://www.fda.gov/drugs/resourcesf.../ucm464195.htm

Asante

Stay Hydrated...

4. Member
    Drink a sports drink like Gatorade.Water is good but doesn't have the stuff u loose sweating,it really works for me.

5. Member
    Like I have heard in the military for 20 years....drink water. Being out in the sun and wind all day saps the water from your body. No different than a night out drinking, you are "hungover" because you are dehydrated.

6. Member
    I felt the same way last weekend. Heat index = 110 and I fished for 9 hours. I never really got hot due to the wind, so I thought I was fine, until around 2:30. I hit a wall.
    I NEVER drink enough water, even when not on the water, so I am dehydrated most of the time anyway. Like most bass anglers, I just don't want to take the time (30 seconds, LOL) to get in my cooler and slam a bottle of water.
    With all of this being stated, I purchased a small Camelbak and plan on utilizing it this weekend in one of our club tournaments.
    I know I will catch hell for wearing it, but hopefully it will allow me to stay focused on fishing and not feel like crap by the end of the day!

7. @delta_fisher
    I try to start drinking water the day before. I try and take a sip before I move to each new spot so I don't get that thirsty feeling

im still probably not drinking enough either
    99 Triton TR18 DC
    99 Evinrude Ficht 150

Striped bass angler, CA Delta

@delta_fisher @pondscumanglers
    @limitlures @slyguylures
    @nor.cal.kat

How much water do you drink on a normal day you don't bake yourself in the sun? You likely need to triple it for a fishing day, I ain't talking about soda or coffee or sports drink or whatever. Sports drink have lots of salts and sugar which give you a boost and cause you to retain some fluid your kidneys would let go of, but doesn't hydrate any better than plain old water. Our body was built to run on it, nothing else works as good. Would you run kerosene in your boat all the time?

Also tension from the shoulders and the neck could be a secondary cause, stretching and resistance exercises may take the headaches away

10. huskyjerk
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeterbait View Post
    It likely is dehydration. Any time you plan to go start increasing your fluids the day before. And push fluids on the boat too.

11. @delta_fisher
    Quote Originally Posted by ridgerunner6901 View Post
    Also tension from the shoulders and the neck could be a secondary cause, stretching and resistance exercises may take the headaches away

Thats a great point
    99 Triton TR18 DC
    99 Evinrude Ficht 150

Striped bass angler, CA Delta

@delta_fisher @pondscumanglers
    @limitlures @slyguylures
    @nor.cal.kat

12. Member
    I learned the hard way about not hydrating before fishing in the hot summer conditions. Now like the one post said I probably drink 3 times the amount of water as normal the day before staying in the heat all day. I'm 69 and can honestly say I can't help you on the head ache situation you are experiencing, I've never had a head ache, the wife claims I don't use my head enough...

13. Member
    Used to happen to me and was told to try a better quality of polarizeded sunglasses. Worked for me!

14. Dogfish_Jones
    Water, then more water. I wrap a bandana around my neck, keep it wet so the water runs down into my shirt. Wear a good shirt that breaths some. Plus, anytime your skin is exposed to the sun, it evaporates your sweat and just bakes you. Gatorade, Power-aid in between water really helps. Then ...since I am over the hill, I take some ibuprofen before I go to keep my muscles from cramping up and causing tension to set in.
    The things we suffer to go catch those little green fish..........

15. Banned
    I can get the same headache, and feel like crap the next day, if I don't:
    Drink water the day before.
    Drink lots while on the water.
    If you find yourself squinting in the sun, then you need better/different sunglasses.
    If I feel that a headache might come on, or suspect that I might wake up with one, I'll make a preemptive strike with a dose of Tylenol or Advil.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ridgerunner6901 View Post
    Excellent point. I freeze Gatorades. On these hot Summer days they act like ice and keep my lunch and other drinks cold in the cooler. I take one out and smack it on the side of the boat AFTER the Sun has warmed the outside a bit, then it turns into a slurpee which really cools you down by cooling your core plus it tastes good. Most other sports drinks don't freeze nearly as well.

17. Member
    Good sunglasses really helped me but I still get the headache if I don't drink a ton of water and EAT something. All day on a pack of crackers just doesn't cut it in the heat. I try to take some watermelon for a snack and it helps a lot

You have to drink during the trip and be sure to feed yourself
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

If you talk to any decent safety guy in a refinery, they'll tell you that water and gatorade are best if you use the 2 to 1 rule. 2 waters to every 1 gatorade. Also, the G2 is really better since it is less sweet. The NOAA has a good recommendation table for water intake per hour
    https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/heatillnes...ter_table.html

Robert "Red" Barron
    2011 Tracker Pro Guide V-175WT
    2010 Mercury Optimax 115
    http://www.givin-er.com

20. Scraps
    Drinking before the trip is even better.

One other thing, are your sunglasses decent. Meaning, not distorting your vision. I went the cheapy route years ago and found that I was getting headaches due to my crappy sunglasses. Worse if your were fishing a bait like a fluke that I had to watch all the time.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast