Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Any elk hunters?

Anyone else here besides me get all tore up around this time of year waiting for elk season?

2. Banned
    Yep love me some DIY elk hunting,but usually go every other year.

3. Member
    Can't wait. October can't come soon enough.

Hell yeah I'm too poor to do it any other way, public land, no guide. Every expensive ass bite of elk tastes like victory haha

5. Member
    Yes sir been to Colorado a few times, have family there. No guide. Just pounding trails and finding elk, have killed one every time I have been.

That's impressive, we spent years on what we called nature hikes, had some opportunities but it took quite q while to figure out what was up... then wolves changed all that..

I too have family in SW Colorado. He used to be a guide but still has all the gear to get the elk out. I am headed there for first rifle elk!

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

I used to go to Colorado every year, then I had kids and have not been back. Some day I'll head back out, but for now, It's time to raise the spawn.

9. Member
    Yes archery elk hunt every year and rifle hunt once every 5 when I can draw the tag.
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

10. Member
    Been a member of the RMEF and helped start a chapter in Memphis. Started going out west back in 87, elk and mule deer ruin you for hunting back east. Had some good years and a few bad but the trip was always great. Harvested elk with gun and muzzle loader but not with a bow. First time my son went was with a friend an harvested a P&Y elk. Only time it wasn't a DIY hunt got ripped off on a drop camp in Marble Co. Went 4th season, called it our eco hunt. Rode 5 hours on horseback to the high country only to find camp fallen in under about 3 feet of snow. Got worse from there but we persevered, got 2 4pts. and 1 cow between the 4 of us. We had cold camps every night, melted snow for water if we could gather some wood. Outfitter was supposed to check on us every other day but gave us a walkie talkie but couldn't get out unles we walked over the next mountain. Already had full payment before we saddled up. He is no longer in business.

I'm an Elk hunter but didn't get drawn this year, so I'm going on a W Texas Mule Deer hunt instead. Killed a 352" Bull last year in the Gila so I'm good with not getting drawn this year.

12. Member
    I drew a New Mexico unit 15 first archery. DIY solo. Anybody out there with any info I sure will appreciate it and keep it secret. I've applied every year unguided since 1994 and this is only my third quality tag drawn.

13. BBC SPONSOR
    I'm an elk nut...however tagless in 2017 :-(
    FTO Marine Supplies
    BBC Sponsor

I got lucky this year and will actually be in camp a few days before season... this will be my first opening week hunt, usually try to hit the 2nd and 3rd weeks of Sept. To say I'm excited is an understatement

15. BBC SPONSOR
    I just wanna carry someones pack.
    FTO Marine Supplies
    BBC Sponsor

16. Georgia Bass Club Moderator fishnfool38's Avatar
    My dream hunt is archery elk.
    Just got back from week long trip to Jackson Hole, Wyoming beautiful country. We white water rafted, horseback into back country, hiked, fished and drove 700 miles sight seeing.

After hiking 4 miles over a mountain to fish not sure I want to pack one out that far on foot...actually I'm positive I don't. And the outfitter we rode horses with said the grizzlies had been giving them a hard time. So much that they had picked up 5 different camps that another outfitter gave up because of the grizzly activity. This makes me reluctant to do a self guided hunt especially in the Bridger Tetons national Forest. From what the guy told me there you have to use an outfitter, not sure if that's true or not...anyone else know?
    Outfitter $5100
    Flight $700+
    Tags $1000
    Guide tip $$$

Lot of negatives for me, looks like it will remain a dream trip! I'm gonna check around some different areas maybe find something a poor boy can do.

There are much cheaper places to hunt, trust me... but you are right it's not easy.

18. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfool38 View Post
    My dream hunt is archery elk.
    Just got back from week long trip to Jackson Hole, Wyoming beautiful country. We white water rafted, horseback into back country, hiked, fished and drove 700 miles sight seeing.

After hiking 4 miles over a mountain to fish not sure I want to pack one out that far on foot...actually I'm positive I don't. And the outfitter we rode horses with said the grizzlies had been giving them a hard time. So much that they had picked up 5 different camps that another outfitter gave up because of the grizzly activity. This makes me reluctant to do a self guided hunt especially in the Bridger Tetons national Forest. From what the guy told me there you have to use an outfitter, not sure if that's true or not...anyone else know?
    Outfitter $5100
    Flight $700+
    Tags $1000
    Guide tip $$$

Lot of negatives for me, looks like it will remain a dream trip! I'm gonna check around some different areas maybe find something a poor boy can do.
    that area is Region G, I believe. Any national forest area in Wyoming requires a guides. I know several guides there.....don't waste your time. The elk are small as well. There are much better areas in Colorado and don't require and guides. I know some areas if you want some assistance. Hard work and you will kill a bull.
    FTO Marine Supplies
    BBC Sponsor

19. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by Stompy View Post
    I'm an Elk hunter but didn't get drawn this year, so I'm going on a W Texas Mule Deer hunt instead. Killed a 352" Bull last year in the Gila so I'm good with not getting drawn this year.
    UM....where was I at when that pic was posted?????
    FTO Marine Supplies
    BBC Sponsor

20. Member
    Ya I wouldn't do Western WY either especially G. Unless you go down in the SW corner and hunt the red desert. If I did that I'd go with a gun. There are some TOADS down there. Grizzlies are a problem anywhere up there plus you have to have yeti type lockable coolers on any public lands now. If I had to do an elk hunt and just wanted to kill one I'd go to steamboat Craig meeker tons of elk but mostly rags. If I wanted a wall hanger and wasn't affraid to eat a tag. I'd go down south Gunnison Cortez Silverton (the needles would be good because no one hunts them for elk.) but super hard to hunt. I hunt down south and have crossed paths with several bulls over 350" but just can't finish the deal with a bow. Infact last year I caused a fight between two 330's. They were trying to kill each other 30 yards infont of me and I couldn't get a shot at either of them. When it was done I just sat on a log shaking. One of the most amazing things I have ever witnessed in the woods.
    Last edited by Babe Winkleworm; 08-19-2017 at 10:41 PM.
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast