mikesxpress

Exclamation Widewater State Park/boat ramp update

I will post updates as I get them but it's looking like 2020 before the boat ramp/parking will be completed. Which means Jimmy and his partners at Hope Springs will continue to gouge everyone for a few more years.

Widewater State Park.

The canoe-in launches will be completed in the current construction phase in the Spring of 2018.

The motorized boat launch project is in its initial stage. We have advertised an RFP for A/E services and by Fall 2017 we will begin schematic plans and permitting for this phase of construction. That part of the project will take about 12-18 months for design and another 12 to 18 months of construction prior to opening.

Thanks for the update!

3. Member
    Is this facility going to be big enough to compete with smallwood and bring some larger events out of the VA side of the river? I surely hope so....as i may be moving back up that way (NC). How is lodging in that area? Will the campground have cabins to rent?

4. Member
    Smallwood definitely benefitted when Leesylvania put a cap on number of boats a tourney can have. The 301 route is a lil longer than Va side but WAY better.

5. mikesxpress
    Last edited by mikesxpress; 08-09-2017 at 04:38 AM.

6. Member
    Link dont work for me

7. mikesxpress
    Sorry about that. Fixed link.

8. Member
    Thanks Mike, so not good for large scale tournaments, but for day use and general launching seems pretty good. Beats the "other place".

9. mikesxpress
    The initial site for the powerboat ramp was in the back of Burrows Bay which is to the left as you come under the bridge going out of Aquia. With a little dredging this made the most sense as it's protected. (This is now the site for the hand canoe launch) Site was changed to the current location on the end of Brent Point which will now entail break walls and dump out in the middle of the wrecks at Arkendale. I'm not an advocate of this area for the site as it will take the brunt of any southerly wind and dump the unknowing out in the center of the wrecks. Park management over the project said they couldn't get permitting for the ramp inside the creek due to the substantial amount of SAV (grass) that would be disturbed.??? Lot's of SAV currently exists at the current site??? If you launch out of this new ramp with our spring-fall south winds at 10+ mph with the tide going out there will be 3 footers greeting you. Riding some of those swells into the break wall entrance will also be interesting. After a few boats end up sunk and/or tangled up in the wrecks maybe they will relocate it? I tried to convey the reasoning but it didn't alter the decision.

10. Member
    That's going to have to be one hell of a break wall. Maybe the Nice bridge decking?
    William "Bill" Kyte
    Waldorf, MD
    2018 Shenadoah Kerr lake BFL Co-angler Champion

2020 Ranger 520L Evinrude G2 250HO

11. Member
    VA water vs. MD water is all I can figure for the SAV issue. Coming from Springfield think I'll just st keep using Leesylvania.....

12. mikesxpress
    Leesylvania has a sizeable breakwall system and this is going to have to be that plus.

13. Member
    Good, another set of rocks to throw crankbaits at....nice stop on the way to and from Aquia.