Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Happiness is a Sporty! F150owner's Avatar

Need pics of Ram mounted graphs at 2+2 at console

I started a thread on in-dash graphs on 2+2s but it looks like I'm going in a different direction. Looks like I'm going with an external mounted graph just to get a larger size graph. If you have a 2+2 and a big graph, please post pics if you have a ram mounted graph off to the side of the console.

thanks,
    Duane

2. Member
    I would highly highly recommend against Ram anything that uses the balls and clamp style arm.. even the 2.25" ball mounts tightened with a 3 foot long pipe for leverage can't hold a 5" humminbird or Lowrance anything well..

Better alternatives include:
    Balzout
    Cisco

3. Member
    I hope to have one mounted with a balzout here in a few days, just waiting on the plate from allison.

4. Happiness is a Sporty! F150owner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by basser38 View Post
    I hope to have one mounted with a balzout here in a few days, just waiting on the plate from allison.
    What boat do you have?

5. Member
    I'll get some better pics this weekend of my HD7 Ballzout Mount. I could easily mount a bigger graph, but don't use them enough to justify buying a bigger one.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Mike Malinao
    2010 XB-21 BasSport 2+2 250 Mercury Pro XS
    https://www.facebook.com/mikemalinaofishing

6. Happiness is a Sporty! F150owner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tap_tap_boom View Post
    I'll get some better pics this weekend of my HD7 Ballzout Mount. . . .
    Thank you so much!! It's hard to visualize the mounting. Been looking at the Balzout website.

-Duane

7. Member
    I have the pro 2 seater..my balzout should be here today.

I will tell you this for a fact. I have a 2 seater and I took a long arm large size Ram Mount and mounted the base on the front deck just in front of the rod tube. The long arm runs perfectly along side the console and holds an HDS 12 in a perfect location.

I disassembled the handle knob and removed the handle and reinstalled with just the brass but exposed. I put it in place, took a wrench to the nut, and that graph hasn't moved in over a year. Not an inch....including in some pretty rough water.

Just my experience.
    MET/ XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite - 300xs

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MET View Post
    I will tell you this for a fact. I have a 2 seater and I took a long arm large size Ram Mount and mounted the base on the front deck just in front of the rod tube. The long arm runs perfectly along side the console and holds an HDS 12 in a perfect location.

I disassembled the handle knob and removed the handle and reinstalled with just the brass but exposed. I put it in place, took a wrench to the nut, and that graph hasn't moved in over a year. Not an inch....including in some pretty rough water.

Just my experience.
    Impressive.

10. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    Quote Originally Posted by MET View Post

Just my experience.
    I had the same thing with the 12" arm and laid it down on the gunnel with a shock buster under it zip tied to the ram arm. I replaced the wing nut style tightener with the locking piece so I could lock it when on the water in a slip over nite. I had no trouble with it moving either but have just replaced it with the new Allison electronics mount. It's not perfect but I do like it better than that long arm and ball mounted on my front deck.
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

11. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by AllyFishing View Post
    I had the same thing with the 12" arm and laid it down on the gunnel with a shock buster under it zip tied to the ram arm. I replaced the wing nut style tightener with the locking piece so I could lock it when on the water in a slip over nite. I had no trouble with it moving either but have just replaced it with the new Allison electronics mount. It's not perfect but I do like it better than that long arm and ball mounted on my front deck.
    Hey Craig, Please post a picture of the new mount, I forgot to take pictures of the one I installed for a customer.

Thanks

12. Member
    I will Lee once I can find another pic hosting site that doesn't want to make me pay a fee. Photobucket screwed a lot of us
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

13. Member
    Last edited by AllyFishing; 07-27-2017 at 06:02 AM.
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

14. Member
    I'm always trying to reinvent the wheel or build a better mousetrap. I went from a ram mount which laid down along where this mount is which put the screen right next to me at the drivers seat. With the duralocks on the gimbal and tightening knob I could leave it on at all times except for when I trailer the boat with the cover on.

I knew I was going to have to remove the unit for the boat cover but didn't want the unit in the viewing position if I were trailering without the cover short distances to and from a lake. I didn't want it sticking out like that so I figured I'd put it on a swivel somehow. I saw Jonathon Bowlings (JDM posted pics of his on here a while ago) at the rally which once I saw it in person I came up with an idea to do what I wanted with it because I didn't really like what I saw on the pics here.

I cut out the white piece from 1/2" starboard and shaped it so that it would fit the contour of the deck mount from Allison. That piece is attached to the gimbal bracket and serves as an attachment point for fishing and then for storage or travel. With the large thumb screws I can easily remove or change positions but yes I still have to remove the wires and unit for covering the boat. I still had to do that with the ram mount but what I wasn't happy about was not being able to lock it there if I'm staying at a place ovenite and wanted to leave it on the boat.

The Allison mount itself is very beefy and actually weighs alot more than I would have expected. There is a pretty thick piece of aluminum inside the top for threading holes for thumb screws or if preferred mount with SS fasteners. I thought about using the thumb screws that come with the windshield but I wanted thicker heavier ones so I searched McMaster Carr and found those. 5/16" by 18 NPC 1 1/4" long. The plastic knurled top is 1" wide

The view fromt he drivers seat is just fine. I am looking thru a very small portion of the windshield on the bottom left corner on my HDS 12 but it is not a problem. It's easy to reach and actually easier for me to see because it is lower than on my ram mount and a bit further away since I wear glasses with progressive lenses so now I'm not tilting my head up to see the screen!!! lol
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

15. Member
    You can see the ram ball in the foreground of the last pic. That is now gone.
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

16. Member
    Thanks for the pics..thats bigger/beefier then i thought..im still waiting on mine..

17. Happiness is a Sporty! F150owner's Avatar
    Craig, thanks. That will help other BasSport Pro owners. That won't work on my boat. My console shape is different and I have an air gap between the top cap rail and the console for the rod tray. Also, my console flips up so I can't connect anything from the console to the deck or top cap rail.

Last edited by F150owner; 07-27-2017 at 08:10 AM.

I picked up one of the Allison mounts but haven't installed it yet. I use a balzout in front of rod tube now .I need to take the time an see how the Helix 12 will sit . Also where did you get the thumb screws that hold the gimbal mount to the mount . Thanks

19. Member
    Duane, I'm not too swift at times, I forgot you were referring to the 2+2. On your pic if you were to come back about 6" or so from the rod tube openings and mount a ram ball right smack in the middle you would still be able to use your rod tubes. That's where I had mine mounted on my 2+2 and the ball was never a hindrance to stuffing 2 rods in each rod tube. I think I used the shortest ram mount they made.

Now if you used the balzout mount right there it would take up even less room than a ram ball and arm giving you even more available free space. I have a balzout up front on my bow area now and removed the ram only because the new ultrex pedal cable couldn't fit in front of the ram ball. The balzout fit perfectly but didn't give me the adjustabiltiy that the ram did.
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

20. Happiness is a Sporty! F150owner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AllyFishing View Post
    On your pic if you were to come back about 6" or so from the rod tube openings and mount a ram ball right smack in the middle you would still be able to use your rod tubes. That's where I had mine mounted on my 2+2 and the ball was never a hindrance to stuffing 2 rods in each rod tube. I think I used the shortest ram mount they made.

Now if you used the balzout mount right there it would take up even less room than a ram ball and arm giving you even more available free space. I have a balzout up front on my bow area now and removed the ram only because the new ultrex pedal cable couldn't fit in front of the ram ball. The balzout fit perfectly but didn't give me the adjustabiltiy that the ram did.
    Good to know! Got pics???? You don't know how something is going to look until you buy it so I'm trying to visualize it all first. I want it to look half way decent and be functional.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast