Cleaning the reel

How many clean and oil there own reels . Second question is how many, has any of the older blue Quantum PT reels and has up grade the bearings in them .

I have a few of the E770 PT and E760 Pt reel'sand was thinking about putting some of them Boca ceramic bearings in them .
    I see they have some ceramic ones .The the top of the line orange ones for a good price . Has any one done this to these reels .
    Also it been a while since i have removed the handles , how do you get them off . Ready like the reels ,so if i can get a tad more distance out of them would be fine . Haven't fish that much in the last few years ,because of health problems . May 6 times in the years , and these will be fine for me and the rest of the stuff .

I have 2 or burns, I love these reels. Watching this....

I never clean or oil my reels. They all work great as is.

I break all my reels down once a year for a good cleaning. I also flush out all the bearings as well once a year in acetone and re oil them. I have a couple reels with Boca Abec 5 lightning ceramic bearings them. I like them. I prefer those bearings over the Abec 7 oragne seals. Not much difference between the two in my opinion. If you do decide to replace the bearings all you really need to replace for distance in the spool bearings. Unless the others are bad. That is the only place i will put ceramics.
    "Tight Lines To All"

5. Member
    I clean old grease off the gears, flush the spool bearings in acetone with an ultrasonic cleaner, clean out pinion gear with alcohol and shredded q-tip.....re-oil the bearings with one drop of Shimano oil.....re-grease the main gear with Cal's grease, 3 drops of oil to the worm gear, drop of oil around brake drum....labor of love....once a year during the winter....my old greenies work like a champ.....

Big Tip: Watch the two reel cleaning videos from Shimano on Youtube....priceless.

I used to clean my rods and clean and lube my reels every year. But, after sending my reels to Bassman13 I may start sending them out for service every couple of seasons. I'll take care of the rods.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

7. Member
    I strip my Shimanos down to the bare frame, e-clips off and all, every couple of years. Im starting to do it to my brand new ones to remove the excess grease a flush the bearings so I can add Lightening Lube.

Clean and service all my reels and have since high school. Actually just got through cleaning a chronarch this evening.

9. Member
    Tear all mine down once a year. Have a jewelry cleaner I use to clean all the parts and flush the bearings. Works like a champ and then I just re oil once or twice during the year. As far as bearings, if your are still good, a good flushing and oil will get a tad more distance. I pulled all the shields out of mine so I could flush them better

10. Member
    Yes I clean and maintain all my reels but no experience with the ones you have. My son has used the boca and they do cast further but they make a little noise

I have torn down, cleaned, greased, oiled, and reassembled my won reels (original Lew's BB-1N's, Shimano 200's & E7's, and now the new Lew's)for 40 years. I do it every fall.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments