Jack plate and prop combo question

If I add a jackplate to my Ranger 520 /Yamaha SHO 225 combo do I need to think about different prop. Will the set back change to prop pitch need?

Thanks

Yes. Your boats lifting characteristics will change and so will the demands of your prop

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

3. Member
    Maybe or maybe not. Depends on what prop you have now,how well you twist it now, and how much set back your plate will have. Like Alley ss said your boat will change some but your prop could work fine. And sometimes a different prop will get you better performance. You will have to play around with prop to pad height, exhaust plugs and so on to dial it in. a lot depends on the prop you are running now and how well you get on plane. the plate will help some by it's self but to take full advantage of the plate you may have to experiment with different props. All boats react differently to these modifications. I would go for it and at worst you may have to borrow some different props to see which one does the best. I,ve rigged bass boats for years and seems no two are exactly alike.