Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tracker 175 TXW 60HP owners opinions needed

I'm 4 months away from buying what will probably be my last boat as a retirement gift to myself. One of the two I'm considering is the 175 TXW with the 60 HP.

While I believe that for my fishing this combo will meet my needs, my wife wants me to be able to tow her and our grandson on a two person tube. Nothing crazy, looking to be able to pull at 15-25 MPH max.

Your thoughts and recommendations?

2. Member
    Max out the horsepower, which I believe is the 75hp

3. Member
    Yes. The 75 hp mercury is a much bigger displacement motor and will perform much better than the sticker indicated 15hp will indicate.

plus is is usa made instead of the made overseas like the 60.

4. Member
    My fishing partner has the 2017 175txw with the 75mercury and he pulls a tub with his grandson. I don't think you'd be very happy with the 60hp trying to tube.
    Joe B

2017 Tracker PT 190 TX
    2017 Mercury 115 Pro XS
    Mercury Spitfire X7 19” prop
    51 mph @ 6240 rpms (RPMs from Vessel View Mobile) : full fuel tank and fishing load by myself
    4.2 second Hole Shot (measured using Vessel View Mobile)
    Engine mounted in 3rd hole
    Minn Kota Ulterra-Link w/built in MDI 80 lb thrust 60” shaft
    Humminbird Helix 12si Gen1 chirp on console
    Humminbird Helix 15si Gen4 cho on bow
    Humminbird Mega360

Dotline two step transom boarding ladder
    Tracker trailer bow boarding step

5. Member
    I have a 175 with the 60. I got it barely used. It's fine, but if I were buying a new one I would spend the extra money on the 75 hp for sure. It's more than a step up in horsepower from what I understand and I don't think you'll regret it one bit. You can easily add other stuff to the boat later, and upgrade the trolling motor at your leisure. I really really like the boat.

I believe only the 30hp and down are made over seas now.

But the 60 is great for getting around to fish. BUT! To pull a single skier ,are a tube. BUY the 75!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

7. Member
    Thanks for the feedback guys, you probably have saved me from making a purchase that I would regret.

8. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    My 60 2S is quick on my 175, but, if I were buying new I would go w/ the 75. I do not believe the 60 4S can match the performance of the old 2S...
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...

9. Gray
    I have that setup with the 60hp and biggest mistake I've made with a boat. Engine runs great and sips gas but under powered for me. Mine is up for sale now so I can buy a Nitro.

10. Member
    The 60 is a .9L and the 75 is a 2.1L. I had a 17 tracker with a 50 years ago, under powered......
    2016 Ranger RT178 white
    75 4S Merc, VesselView Mobile
    Simrad Go7, Baystar hydro, SpitFire X7 17p

11. Member
    I have a PT185 with a 60hp on it and I can pull both of my boys on a tube (they roughly weigh 95 and 100lbs ea) and I can pull them ok with it. I would rather have a 75hp on it but that is not a $$$ option for me right now.

12. Member
    The 60 is offered as a price point boat. With one person and gear it is barely adequate. The 75 is much more engine as said before and is better on fuel than the maxed out 60. Don't even look at the 60.

13. Member
    I'm convinced. My wife is always on my butt for trying to save a buck and sometimes settling for something that doesn't fill a need or want. Out with the 175/60 horse. I'll go with my other option, the 190 tx.

Again, thanks for the informed opinions.

14. Member
    If you hop up to the 190tx then consider the 115? No one wishes they had a smaller engine...unless you live around hp limited lakes.

I have a 60 on my rt178. it was a deal I couldn't refuse as I bought it used but only for a few hrs. It also does what I need it to do...including pulling a tube. That being said, if I were to spec one out I would max the hp out for sure.

15. Member
    Yes if I would have known I bought my 2013 PT175TXW 60hp 4s Mercury in 2014 like new used only 1/2 tank of gas thru it. With the ability to do more with the 75HP I would have looked for a 75HP. Then while doing paperwork buying my boat I saw on the motor ser.# sticker made in china. I was shocked and not happy about that.
    But the USMC officer I bought boat from said he pulled one person at a time on a tube.
    I do like the boat over all.

Quote Originally Posted by Deerchaser View Post
    The 60 is a .9L and the 75 is a 2.1L. I had a 17 tracker with a 50 years ago, under powered......
    This is the key spec right here. There is no replacement for displacement. Not even 1 liter compared to 2.1 talk about a huge acceleration and weight pulling difference. The 60 would struggle pulling a tube you would have to have a seperate prop where the 75 eill do both with the same prop. Its worth the extra money and the 75 will cruise the top speed of the 60 while using the same amount of fuel.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

17. Banned
    I have the 60. I couldn't pass it up as my boss bought it brand new and used it ONE time, then sold it to me for half what he paid for it. I pull my 60lb son on a tube all day long and it has no problem. The thing SIPS and I mean SIPS gas. The only time I wish for the 75 is on tournament mornings.

18. Member
    I appreciate all the input I've received. It's been like choosing between two pretty girls, each with their own positives. I've rarely been so indecisive in my life! It boils down to thinking that the 175/60 will probably meet my needs/wants vs. the 190/90 or 190/115 will certainly meet them for 12% more money, both are affordable for me. In addition to the added horsepower is the added storage and deck space.

19. Member
    Get the 75........

20. Member
    I have the 60 hp. I'm torn, I actually like it quite a bit. I get stupid good gas mileage, it just barely sips. I can fill the tank for vacation and basically fish and run it all week and I always think to myself, damn I better get gas and when I fill it up I've burnt like 7 gallons in a week and have like 13 to spare. There are times I think yeah I would like a 75 but honestly I hate going fast in a boat anymore and I hate getting the crap beat out of me in the boat anymore and that 60 just starts and purrs along so nice. only thing that I lake is a great hole shot when I have 3 in a boat, I bought a stainless steel prop for it and the hole shot and handling are night and day when I'm alone or with one other guy though. If I was to buy a brand new one yeah I would get the 75 but for me the 60 wasn't a deal breaker. 75 would be nice but the 60 has some great attributes that I love to. Also just would like to say I think you will love your boat, I know I do. I went from a glass ranger to a 175txw and for me I couldn't be much happier.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast